Is anyone using these cameras? - Page 2

Is anyone using these cameras?

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Used cameras*

TotalWar
16%
RotOverhead
21%
Free
53%
Smoothed Overhead
5%
Orbit
5%

Total votes: 19

Jools
XTA Developer

Re: Is anyone using these cameras?

Post by Jools »

How do you test those new cameras? Is there a UI command?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Please do not remove free. I would prefer not to have to unleash impotent buggraeg.
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

jK wrote:update: "Spring camera: replicate overhead zooming"
http://springrts.com/dl/buildbot/defaul ... -gc9b34d6/
Much better now! But still it's different from OTA :-) Now pointer is centered. It creates "jumping" effect.
In OTA style camera cursor is not centered. It stays where user expect - at the same place of the screen where it was before. I don't know is it bad or just a habit.

Update: yes, it's better to not have this jumping effect - like in OTA cam
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

https://github.com/spring/spring/commit ... 6af424cabd
that 'jumping' is now animated, also it was added on request
maybe should add a config tag
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

hmm wonder if when rotating a visualization of the cardinal directions `locking` is needed.

hmm2 wonder if a visualization of edge scrolling would be advised.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

tested the new default camera mode a bit. for me it was/is confusing that the mouse-cursor moves when i zoom in. imo mouse-cursor shouldn't move when i don't move my mouse... it feels like someone else takes over control :-|

maybe i need just some time to get used to it, not sure.

is there a feedback thread about this? imo thats a major change and shouldn't be released without getting some feedback before a release.
jamerlan

Post by jamerlan »

abma, do you mean thay it's confusing when mouse coursor is centered after zoom? :-)
OTA style camera don't center cursor. And jk implemented this ability too, just play with CamSpringWarpMouseToZoomIn config tag.

But I am confused with "jumping": http://youtu.be/l1_WwDSI180
when I zoom in a little - camera jumps too much!
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

jamerlan wrote:But I am confused with "jumping"
when i move my mouse cursor to a screen edge and then rotate my mouse-wheel to zoom in one click, mouse is instantly moved to the center of the screen.

also when zoomed out as much as possible and moved camera to the left for example, when i try to zoom to the right edge of the map, camera isn't centered at the right edge. when zoomed in a little more, and doing the same, camera is centered at the right edge.

(can't record video atm, sorry)
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

It doesn't center the mouse cursor. It moves the mouse cursor to the position zoomed in.
And was the idea of someone else. At first it might be a bit distracting, but for newbs it emphasizes that you zoom into the current mouse cursor position (something you don't understand at first).
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

jK wrote:It doesn't center the mouse cursor. It moves the mouse cursor to the position zoomed in.
for me the mouse cursor is moved to the center of the screen when i zoom in. am i doing sth. wrong?
jamerlan

Post by jamerlan »

I wanted to tune spring cam zooming to work like ota cam zooming and I failed :-) I think currently its impossible. And ota cam zooming is just perfect for me.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

camera theft - in broad daylight- when did spring degrade to hollywood. Oh, is anyone using those floodlights?
Shadowfury333

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Was Free removed, because COFC is all messed up now. I can't rotate with anything, ctrl+MMB or otherwise, and zooming seems to follow some imaginary point as if the camera was tilted. The camera also seems to slowly rotate to whatever position was requested by "Spring.SetCameraState()"

UPDATE: After more testing, COFC works fine if the "Smoothness"/'camTime" parameter (second parameter of "Spring.SetCameraState()") is 0. I guess that function changed meaning?

Also, the Spring camera doesn't zoom in properly. It is supposed to zoom in to the point that was under the cursor when zooming started, yet it always overshoots. Don't say anything about configuring anything, this is the behaviour that should always happen, regardless of configuration, and it isn't.
Skasi

Post by Skasi »

How do I get back the old behavior? When setting EdgeMoveWidth to 0 the camera can only be moved up and left but not down and right, is that intended?

There seemed to have been a bug where Pathingmap view (F2) in the new engine didn't show terrain as unpathable (pink) when it was just on the brink of not being pathable (fixed now), so I wonder if maybe something similar happens with "EdgeMoveWidth = 0".

edit: This issue appears to have been fixed, "EdgeMoveWidth = 0" now brings back the old behavior. Thanks a lot!

Return to “Engine”