Vagrant

Vagrant

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Vagrant

Post by AF »

Would anybody be interested in working on a Vagrant development install?
gajop

Re: Vagrant

Post by gajop »

For which distro?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Well there's always been a Debian/Ubuntu oriented consensus. So long as the box can build Spring and run the necessary tests and produce the expected output. A crosscompiler for windows, saves people faffing around with Visual Studio or XCode to generate AI wrappers, test things still build, and cross compile stuff for Win32
gajop

Post by gajop »

OK, will see if I can do it. I'm already using VirtualBox to dev some C++-based Spring stuff.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

https://github.com/Tarendai/springrts-vagrant

Running vagrant up will give you a headless Ubuntu box with all the needed libraries and dependencies installed. ssh in and run the init-spring.sh script, and it'll grab the source from github and try to build it.

You'll need Vagrant and Virtualbox installed. Should work fine on Windows and *nix, tested on OSX
gajop

Post by gajop »

It seems to download everything to C:/Users/... . Any way to set the download location?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

gajop wrote:It seems to download everything to C:/Users/... . Any way to set the download location?
i couldn't find a config setting or so for this. easiest is to create a symbolic link to the desired folder i guess.
gajop

Post by gajop »

OK, that works I guess.
Btw, I keep getting
"stdin: is not a tty." messages.
Also what should the end user do here when you update vagrant configs? If i do a git pull and a vagrant up, will the VM be properly re-configured according to the current git or should I delete the old one first?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

stdin is not tty is a warning, caused by a mistake made by the Ubuntu people in the root bash profile calling mesg n without checking if stdin is a tty. It can be safely ignored, but I agree it's annoying. There's a trick that can be done with shell provisioning that'll remove them all save for the very first.

Also it puts files in the home subfolder of the git repository where you run vagrant up.

Where vagrant downloads the precise64 box would be ~/.vagrant.d/boxes

http://docs-v1.vagrantup.com/v1/docs/boxes.html
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Can somebody take a look at this? I'm at a block that prevents me moving forward, cmake fails to find the minizip library. I've tried adding numerous packages to the provisioning to try to fix this, the ones in the wiki, the ones similarly named, etc, with no success.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

minizip is an optional package, it should only print a warning and no error-message.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

it prints the warning, then while linking, fails, though why Im unsure. Can you take a look? It's been a while since I last tried to build the engine, and I'm a little out of my depth in areas
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

AF wrote:it prints the warning, then while linking, fails, though why Im unsure. Can you take a look? It's been a while since I last tried to build the engine, and I'm a little out of my depth in areas
meh, sorry for the delay :D

i've tried to "improve" the vagrant code and tried to build my own image with veewee:

https://github.com/abma/springrts-vagrant

as the building of the basic image takes AGES, i'm not sure if i can finish this at some point. my goal is, to create the current buildslave from a small config file, but with gentoo its very slow, as everything has to be compiled first (but its needed for the static builds).

Return to “Engine”