*nix development

*nix development

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

*nix development

Post by AF »

I've used Visual Studio mainly for the last few year, but if I want to build and modify Spring, what do the current devs use in terms of editors and IDEs? ( note an ubuntu context )
gajop

Re: *nix development

Post by gajop »

There's nothing like Visual Studio outside of Windows.
That said, there are still decent tools, and it boils down to what you want.
The most popular free IDEs for C++ are probably Eclipse and CodeBlocks.
However, people often just use their favorite text editors like gedit, kate, vim, emacs.

My suggestion: don't waste your time trying to set up IDEs and code completion and just use a text editor.

For building stuff you should probably use the CLI regardless of your IDE/editor preference. Linux has the best terminals and the build instructions usually always include CLI commands.
det

Post by det »

Qt Creator is excellent.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

Not sure I qualify as a current dev, but I alternate between VS10 and 8. Version 8 has more bugs for sure. On *nix I use vim editor, which is a step down I must say.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Well something that can give me a view of a project I have with Sublime text, I'd like code completion though and I'm not sure how well that will work out. I'm happy to use command line to build
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i agree with gajop.
i tried eclipse, netbeans, code:blocks, kdevelop and qtcreator as full blown IDEs for C++ under linux. i liked qtcreator the most, but i only used it for small, CMake based uni projects, cause for spring, everything failed at some point, and i went back to vim and gedit, which i used most of the time, plus command line for building.
i did not use VS often, but i am used to have a nice, well working IDE from Java development, and i would never change it for vim or gedit there, but in linux C++, there is seems to be just nothing that works well enough.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

mostly vim & ninja(-build). sometimes gedit & codeblocks. newer versions of codeblocks become useable. functions i use often is "Find declaration|implementation|references of.." and autocomplete. what i like on codeblocks its lightweigt.. what sucks, is that current version (12.11) still crashes sometimes, but mostly on exit.

also i guess you are limited to these IDEs on unix:
The following generators are available on this platform:
Ninja = Generates build.ninja files (experimental).
Unix Makefiles = Generates standard UNIX makefiles.
CodeBlocks - Ninja = Generates CodeBlocks project files.
CodeBlocks - Unix Makefiles = Generates CodeBlocks project files.
Eclipse CDT4 - Ninja = Generates Eclipse CDT 4.0 project files.
Eclipse CDT4 - Unix Makefiles
= Generates Eclipse CDT 4.0 project files.
KDevelop3 = Generates KDevelop 3 project files.
KDevelop3 - Unix Makefiles = Generates KDevelop 3 project files.
as anything else won't have a project file.

codeblocks worked out of the box for me when used with unix makefiles, with ninja, i had to change some build parameters, but when compiling ninja is a big time-safer!

for debugging i always used console gdb...
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

QTCreator works well too. you just tell it to open the CMakeLists.txt file in the open/import project dialog, and it works well. i could imagine that other IDEs (not in the above list) might work the same way, probably by creating the "Unix Makefiles" generator.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

det wrote:Qt Creator is excellent.
+1 for Qt creator.

Return to “Engine”