*nix development

*nix development

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

*nix development

Post by AF » 25 Aug 2013, 15:34

I've used Visual Studio mainly for the last few year, but if I want to build and modify Spring, what do the current devs use in terms of editors and IDEs? ( note an ubuntu context )
0 x

gajop

Re: *nix development

Post by gajop » 25 Aug 2013, 16:55

There's nothing like Visual Studio outside of Windows.
That said, there are still decent tools, and it boils down to what you want.
The most popular free IDEs for C++ are probably Eclipse and CodeBlocks.
However, people often just use their favorite text editors like gedit, kate, vim, emacs.

My suggestion: don't waste your time trying to set up IDEs and code completion and just use a text editor.

For building stuff you should probably use the CLI regardless of your IDE/editor preference. Linux has the best terminals and the build instructions usually always include CLI commands.
0 x

det

Post by det » 25 Aug 2013, 17:35

Qt Creator is excellent.
0 x

zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver » 25 Aug 2013, 22:14

Not sure I qualify as a current dev, but I alternate between VS10 and 8. Version 8 has more bugs for sure. On *nix I use vim editor, which is a step down I must say.
0 x

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF » 25 Aug 2013, 22:21

Well something that can give me a view of a project I have with Sublime text, I'd like code completion though and I'm not sure how well that will work out. I'm happy to use command line to build
0 x

hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui » 26 Aug 2013, 08:52

i agree with gajop.
i tried eclipse, netbeans, code:blocks, kdevelop and qtcreator as full blown IDEs for C++ under linux. i liked qtcreator the most, but i only used it for small, CMake based uni projects, cause for spring, everything failed at some point, and i went back to vim and gedit, which i used most of the time, plus command line for building.
i did not use VS often, but i am used to have a nice, well working IDE from Java development, and i would never change it for vim or gedit there, but in linux C++, there is seems to be just nothing that works well enough.
0 x

abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma » 27 Aug 2013, 01:32

mostly vim & ninja(-build). sometimes gedit & codeblocks. newer versions of codeblocks become useable. functions i use often is "Find declaration|implementation|references of.." and autocomplete. what i like on codeblocks its lightweigt.. what sucks, is that current version (12.11) still crashes sometimes, but mostly on exit.

also i guess you are limited to these IDEs on unix:
The following generators are available on this platform:
Ninja = Generates build.ninja files (experimental).
Unix Makefiles = Generates standard UNIX makefiles.
CodeBlocks - Ninja = Generates CodeBlocks project files.
CodeBlocks - Unix Makefiles = Generates CodeBlocks project files.
Eclipse CDT4 - Ninja = Generates Eclipse CDT 4.0 project files.
Eclipse CDT4 - Unix Makefiles
= Generates Eclipse CDT 4.0 project files.
KDevelop3 = Generates KDevelop 3 project files.
KDevelop3 - Unix Makefiles = Generates KDevelop 3 project files.
as anything else won't have a project file.

codeblocks worked out of the box for me when used with unix makefiles, with ninja, i had to change some build parameters, but when compiling ninja is a big time-safer!

for debugging i always used console gdb...
0 x

hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui » 27 Aug 2013, 14:07

QTCreator works well too. you just tell it to open the CMakeLists.txt file in the open/import project dialog, and it works well. i could imagine that other IDEs (not in the above list) might work the same way, probably by creating the "Unix Makefiles" generator.
0 x

varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi » 28 Aug 2013, 11:33

det wrote:Qt Creator is excellent.
+1 for Qt creator.
0 x

Return to “Engine”