"Giving Orders" wiki page retrofitted like springsettings?

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

http://springrts.com/wiki/Balanced_Anni ... ing_Orders is prettty old and full of game specific details that may or may not be outdated.

When "we" made this page, it was meant as part of an exhaustive reference of "How to Play Spring" which isn't really a thing anymore.

I feel like something LIKE it would still be useful... perhapse a page like http://springrts.com/wiki/Springsettings.cfg that is tied to https://github.com/spring/spring/blob/d ... ?source=cc would do better in meeting it's original purpose.

Namely that there be somewhere that maps human readable names and usage instructions to bindable commands (showing defaults) that can be extracted automatically to the wiki... possibly implemented in a way that would allow a specific game (like BA) to template in the text that is appropriate to their game along side any custom gameplay instructions.
Silentwings

Re: "Giving Orders" wiki page retrofitted like springsetting

Post by Silentwings »

The wiki is open to editing by anyone, you can already do it.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Silentwings wrote:The wiki is open to editing by anyone, you can already do it.
Either your reading comprehension is faulty or you misunderstand how the new springsettings page works.

I don't really know exactly how it works except that there is a chunk of source code that maps settings to descriptions and then a shell script that builds the wiki page automatically... I am suggesting a similar relationship be created to automagically create a command reference.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

+1 for automatic command reference

+1 for nuking the BA pages... Anyone still actually working on transferring that content to BA site?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Either your reading comprehension is faulty or you misunderstand how the new springsettings page works.
Github & pull request.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Silentwings wrote:
Github & pull request.
It would be a dangerous change to a sensitive part of the code... and I ain't coded no C++ for years... I was hoping that the model used on the other page could be replicated by someone who knew how it worked.

But yes, I'm aware of how open source works.

Return to “Engine”