RevisionNinja has gone!!

RevisionNinja has gone!!

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Silentwings

RevisionNinja has gone!!

Post by Silentwings »

(from badev, at least) It's so lonely without him :cry:
Jools
XTA Developer

Re: RevisionNinja has gone!!

Post by Jools »

Same from #xta. Words can not express the melancholia that I feel.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

ouch, sorry!

when setting up xta i disabled the cronjob, but forgot to reenable it... :-/

reenabled it & seems to work.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

he always had the last (s)word..
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

It's broken again and we're trying to release a ZK stable.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

because of http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30182 i disabled it until the problem is found. i couldn't find a bug (yet) and det didn't respond.

i'm currently creating a backup of the packages folder, after that is done i'll reenable it (will take a few minutes for the backup). if it causes problems, please pm me, than i'll restore from the backup file (but i guess it will work for zk, as only xta / ba seems to conflict for some reason)

sorry for the trouble, but det managed this in the past but left no docs, so i have to try/error. when doing this i'm writing a few docs, so others hopefully profit from that later on. i've already pmed him, but got no response yet, so i'm on my own.

not sure how long the backup will take, but if it runs, revision ninja will spam into channels again.

maybe as note: the backup isn't really needed, theoretically rapid could be build from scratch from the svn repos, but i guess this would take a really long time.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

it is running. i wouldn't say "should work"... still not sure what caused the xta/ba conflict, maybe it was just a md5 collision, but that is reallyreally unlikely.

please test!
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

If it's a problem, in the short term there is nothing to stop releases being propogated via springfiles & the spring lobby auto-download system (i.e. the old way).

I was planning a BA release for within the next couple of weeks too but there isn't really any hurry.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

spring lobby auto-download system
There is no springlobby autodownload system.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Springlobby can download files uploaded to Springfiles without the mod/map being registered through Revisionninja.

(We actually did this up until 2 months ago with BA and I've done it with every map I've ever made).
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

@Anarchid:
springlobby downloads from rapid as well... so what do you mean with "has no autodownload system"?
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

springlobby downloads from rapid as well... so what do you mean with "has no autodownload system"?
Springlobby can download files uploaded to Springfiles without the mod/map being registered through Revisionninja.
what you say!!!

i mean, mine, doesn't even have a downloads tab.

when i click "download" on a map or game, it just opens a download page in browser, trying to make me download manually.

do i need to compile? if so, why such broken version is on ppa?
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

long story short: license bullshit
one of the libs that SL used to implement download was libtorrent-rasterbar ( which BSD ), that lib relied on a ssl lib to implement crypto with a weird custom license ( forgot which tbh, ), now according to some the chain of licensing and linking was not compatible with gpl, according to some it would be
so the possibilities were:
1-build libtorrent without crypto support ( no https and no encrypted torrents )
2-build sl without libtorrent
3-build with all on and ignore potential license violation
4-relicense SL to a license that was compatible

4- involves contacting all previous devs or rewriting their patches so not feasible
3- was done by some distros
1- was adopted for SL's from us on win builds iirc ( been years, not 100% sure ) and some distros, it gave practically no functionality loss for the end user, but if you dynamic link it, it means maintaining 2 versions of libtorrent package if you install it system-wide
2- is what debian chose, which disabled download system entrely

PS. if you're wondering why SL downloader used a torrent lib, it's because one of the earliest download systems used torrents, then we simply recycled it to download http files by injecting web seeds

since ubuntu packages use debian, they retained the same silly solution

now abma added a new download lib to SL, the licensing problem should be gone, I guess none informed the debian maintainers about it ( or they didn't bother checking if the lib was still used, which strikes me as odd since they should know to make a package :p )
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

Indeed there's no longer any licensing issue. In fact it's no longer an option to compile SL _without_ pr-downloader integration.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

I guess none informed the debian maintainers about it
Where can i do that?
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Great news!
Thanks for the hint. I started packaging a new version of springlobby and
pushed the changes to git (browseable from the package's PTS page [1]). I'll
upload it to unstable after Wheezy is released.
Looks like the rapture is near ^^
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

bump ;) any sign of revision ninjas return or will we be without him for a while?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

only det can fix the current problem with the repo. my rewrite of the tool to (re) create the repo will take some time...

Return to “Engine”