FXAA - Page 2

FXAA

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Re: FXAA

Post by jamerlan »

Maybe this is offtopic. I find it interesting:
Nvidia and FXAA http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... fxaa&num=1
cleanrock
Former Engine Dev

Post by cleanrock »

Just tried FXAA in zk with my GTX 460, the 3D world looks great but i think the gui is suffering a little it (some noise in letters).
My GTX 460 still dont think it needs to run at max frequency so it must be fairly cheap (i run with vsync and 1920x1200).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Spring does not currently support fxaa -_-
cleanrock
Former Engine Dev

Post by cleanrock »

Forboding Angel wrote:Spring does not currently support fxaa -_-
are you sure ?
i forced FXAA in nvidia-settings (linux) and AA was definitely in effect
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I can force stereoscopic 3d in the video card drivers, that doesn't mean that spring supports it natively(although...).
jamerlan

Post by jamerlan »

cleanrock wrote:Just tried FXAA in zk with my GTX 460, the 3D world looks great but i think the gui is suffering a little it (some noise in letters).
My GTX 460 still dont think it needs to run at max frequency so it must be fairly cheap (i run with vsync and 1920x1200).
True, you can turn on FXAA on video driver side, but it will be bad for interface. So FXAA should be applied before interface/text rendering (needs integration on engine side?).

Some Quote from link that I sent previously:
Later NVIDIA decided that it might be a good idea to offer some form of FXAA as a driver option for games or apps which didn't already integrate FXAA. Games that integrate FXAA source directly run FXAA before rendering the HUD or text or UI elements, however the driver-FXAA only can be applied after the HUD/UI rendering right before the frame gets sent to the display or composited for windowed mode. So driver-FXAA has the disadvantage of being applied to text, and FXAA will soften the text a little. Also on top of this the driver-FXAA is a little more expensive because it has some extra logic to reduce the filtering on text compared to the source versions of FXAA.
Last edited by jamerlan on 24 Sep 2012, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
jamerlan

Post by jamerlan »

Das Bruce wrote:FXAA is an ugly hack they use on consoles because they're too slow to do proper AA.

See RedDeadRedemption on the PS3
Sorry for my another quote from http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... fxaa&num=1
(3.) FXAA comes in two different forms: a driver-FXAA, and the following source forms,
(a.) FXAA v1 which was released as an SDK sample (slow, but high quality).
(b.) FXAA v2 release in source form as a prototype for PS3 and 360 (fast, but low quality).
(c.) FXAA v3.11 release in source form as a highly optimized version of v1 and v2 (has a PC and console mode).
As you can see, PS3 has completely different version of FXAA and it's fast but ugly. PC version will be much better.

So.. I WANT FXAA :-D Good idea!

Return to “Engine”