Distorted user input handling (late game)

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Floris

Post by Floris »

When having low fps or some lagspikes...

1... moving the camera goes wrong because sometimes it suddenly flips back again from the view you had a lil moment ago. (I dont use smooth camera widget)

2... sometimes if you move the camera with the mouse quitte fast but just a short distance the camera will travel a higher distance than if you moved the mouse slowly.

3... it gets harder and harder to click on buttons in the UI. (I do have hardware mouse rendering on) sometimes you have press your mousebutton for a whole second before it works.

4... selecting units will go wrong more often (dunno what exactly happens)

Does user input handling only occurs at each drawworld call, and this is the reason all of this happens?
aegis

Re: Distorted user input handling (late game)

Post by aegis »

does it do this with hardware mouse off?
knorke

Post by knorke »

Unresponsive GUI under high CPU load: http://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=2149
sometimes if you move the camera with the mouse quitte fast but just a short distance the camera will travel a higher distance than if you moved the mouse slowly.
I see you write "sometimes" but still make sure you have mouse acceleration in your OS turned off?
3... it gets harder and harder to click on buttons in the UI.
iirc it happens with network lag that the repeat on/off and firestate toggle buttons react slower just like giving any other commands get lagged by bad connection.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Would it be possible to "cheat" with appearances of faster responses? So that even if the command is lagged by the connection you have instant visual feedback?
Floris

Post by Floris »

well if you just click it once quickly it doesnt get applied at all so probably not I guess. But would be much desired.
does it do this with hardware mouse off?
well this would only apply for point 4... I guess but no not tried and not desired to not use hardware mouse
I see you write "sometimes" but still make sure you have mouse acceleration in your OS turned off?
well I'm using the very minimal of acceleration and I know this can't be the problem causing this. The acceleration isn't noticable at all.

And I'm not using the MT client btw
Floris

Post by Floris »

1... moving the camera goes wrong because sometimes it suddenly flips back again from the view you had a lil moment ago. (I dont use smooth camera widget)
I just tested this again with an fps of like < 10. I moved the camera to topright and then quick move the mouse top topright again and it just flips back to a spot more to the middle of the map. It's ridiculous
(above 15 fps it seem to happen very rarely, the lower the fps the easier it is to reproduce)

And when I move the camera in the same speed (over a long distance) it's movement is a bit shocky anyway. So it's not only with very low fps.

Return to “Engine”