IMA LEAVING thread

IMA LEAVING thread

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

IMA LEAVING thread

Post by Auswaschbar »

Well, not really. But as you probably noticed, I didn't do any real work on spring in the recent past, and I don't see that changing in the forseeable future. Althought I still might make a small patch sometimes, I won't and can't do anything that will even remotely justify a regular contributor status. But anyway, I will probably still lurk the forums, join the lobby and play some game from time to time.

You may or may not be interested in my reasons for this, so I will just write them here (and please don't get me wrong, I think they may be interesting / helpfull, this shall not be a whambulance thread).
  • 1. Beeing more and more occupied by university and real life, I simply lack time for any major contributing, no further explaination is needed here.

2. My motivation to contribute constantly declined over time. This is mainly because of the enginification of spring. I don't want to criticise this as I think its a reasonable move, but I joined because I wantet to write a game, not an engine. Furthermore, I don't see anything usefull to contribute anymore as most of the stuff missing is related to user experience / friendlyness, polishing etc., and as an engine dev I felt quite useless in that area.

3. I sometimes missed a better lead and clearer guidelines. Lots of features were added to spring just because someone thought they were cool, regardeless of their usefullness or if someone will actually use them (I'm not excluding me here). Features added twice because someone thought they should be done differently. Over-configurability with alot of useless options noone ever changes because someones whining over certain changes. And sometimes I got the impression that the devs didn't work together but against each other.
Anyway, I had a great time here working with you guys, and I hope I have contributed some usefull stuff and wish you good luck and have fun in your continued efford to create the best strategy game (engine) out there. In this sense I kindly ask you to revoke my extended privileges on the forum, mantis, the repo etc.
Beherith

Re: IMA LEAVING thread

Post by Beherith »

Thank you for choosing to spend a great deal of effort and will to improve something that is so dear to all of us.
Your contributions are held in great regard, and I hope you feel you gained as much from us as Spring did from you.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Great... there goes another precious developer :cry:
Well, cheers for all the contributions, you shall be remembered. Somebody make a "Retired" group :P
Last edited by Jazcash on 26 Apr 2010, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Thanks for your all your work - engine or game, I've enjoyed the hell out of Spring and, by extension, your contributions.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Thanks for all your hard work, in particular on finally giving us a decent sound system!
bibim
Lobby Developer

Post by bibim »

Hey Aus.

I won't be very original, just thank you for all the time spent improving Spring.
Thank you also for bringing spring-dedicated to life...

I totally understand your reasons, especially the first one (priorities change in life...), and the third one (although I guess lots of open-source projects have this problem...).

Good luck in your future projects.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

That's an awesome amount of time spent, so big thanks. You did a good work with managing the releases. Hope to see your commits also in the future.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

FYI the OP pretty much describes my situation too, I just haven't got around to posting about it. Finished uni, got a job, don't have much free time left.

I want to assure you all though that I'll never regret having worked on this project. I'm still proud of fixing a few particularly nasty bugs ^_^
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

hey man we'll all be sad to see you go

so don't go too far, drop by when you have a chance as you've said... its just a shame you can't get paid for working on spring engine :/

i guess this is my only chance to ask... is your name meant to be a mangle of waschbear? i often wondered.

cheers though, and thanks for all of the effort you put in to allow me to have fun <3
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Thanks for all your work and good luck with whatever you'll be doing now :-)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Have a cookie from me

*hands cookie*
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Well, good luck in your future endeavours, and I hope to still see you around.

About the transition from game to engine, what sort of game were you originally interested in creating? I understand the separation, but I am curious about what your earlier hopes were, and perhaps why whatever vision didn't come to fruition in a Spring run title?
Gota

Post by Gota »

Very good.
Good luck with whatever you'll be doing and i hope you end up making some awesome game or program.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

This is very sad news.
Auswaschbar wrote:I don't want to criticise this as I think its a reasonable move, but I joined because I wantet to write a game, not an engine.
Why not join a modding team?
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

imbaczek wrote:Finished uni, got a job, don't have much free time left.
As long as you don't have a wife, there is hope :mrgreen: If you are lucky - or how shall I put it, maybe unlucky - your employer is unable to keep you allocated 100% of the time. Then you can do git clone spring...
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i did not know that; what you think about engine/game separation.
you always wanted to work on the engine-ness part, but rather of a game, then of a separate engine?

who will fix all the bugs i am contributing now? who will fix the bugs i am too stupid for, and that only i care for (AI related)?
i know i added some stuff that is not particularly in wide use (OSC-Stats sender anyone?), sorry.
will also miss the fights with you :D ;-)

always felt that you are the one that knows about most parts of the engine.
the contributions...
just numbers, but accurate, concerning you:
https://www.ohloh.net/p/springrts/contributors
when someone comes to me, and ask me something (knowing i am an engine dev), in 50% of the cases i tell them to ask you instead ;-)
or at least it feels like 50%

last, and most important:
+1 to what zerver said in the post above; keep it in mind!
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

meh :cry:
will miss you, either way :sniff: thanks for all your work and :sniff: good luck for your further doing :sniff:
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

CarRepairer wrote:This is very sad news.
Auswaschbar wrote:I don't want to criticise this as I think its a reasonable move, but I joined because I wantet to write a game, not an engine.
Why not join a modding team?
+1

Return to “Engine”