[Req] Linux-based coder to help maintain SD

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

We need someone with linux to help us maintain SpringDownloader.
SD is being turned into nub friendly basic lobby and none of existing coders is using Linux.

We basically just need help testing and diagnosing problems with graphical layout or possible freezes/crashes that happen on Linux and not on Windows. That means we need user with coder skills who can for example run it with debugger to check why program freezes.
xyz

Re: [Req] Linux-based coder to help maintain SD

Post by xyz »

Hi,
Forgive me if I sound impolite, but is there really a need for a new lobby? Last time I've checked there was a tentative lobby implementation in the engine itself, if this gets done (and maybe get some lua support) then all the external lobby programs will become absolute.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

xyz wrote:Hi,
Forgive me if I sound impolite, but is there really a need for a new lobby?
Healthy competition.
xyz wrote:Last time I've checked there was a tentative lobby implementation in the engine itself, if this gets done (and maybe get some lua support) then all the external lobby programs will become obsolete.
I didn't know about this, can you link?
xyz

Post by xyz »

get the latest nightly build from here and just run the "spring.exe" without any parameters, ant there you will see the "connect to lobby" options that will ask you for your username and password and then give you a success or failure message, for now.

As for a link on the forum for that? I don't know if here is one yet.
quantum

Post by quantum »

An internal lobby would be pretty different from an external one: it would probably be minimalist, have no downloader and it would be less convenient to idle in it... I don't see it making external lobbies obsolete.

Also open source projects have a high death rate so everything would stall if developers abandoned their projects when a new, similar one starts.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Besides SD is already working well as a lobby and gets significant proportion of new spring users despite not even being marked as a lobby or advertised.
This is NOT a start, project is mostly done, we just need dedicated linux based maintainer/coder.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

it is written in C#, and runs on mono (under linux).
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

An internal lobby has its benefits but it will never supplant the external lobby, and it would require an extraordinary amount of effort to duplicate the UI features of the external lobbies.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

We have 2 main lobbies at current, but both drive me up the fricking wall and have for the past 5 or 6 years.

SD has a nice simple interface and is easy for nubs to use. Plus it has that first page with the games on it for download using sdp which is just epic win, plus it just plain looks nicer than the other lobbies. I would happily kick SL and TASC to the curb for SD.

For those of us using SD to distribute our games via sdp and SD, good linux support is absolutely crucial.

Return to “Engine”