Why was tasclient/springdownloader removed from installer?

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Was this on someone's request or did i miss the discussion or something was broken with it?
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Re: Why was tasclient/springdownloader removed from installer?

Post by Satirik »

it was my request there is a dl link in the download part of the site, maybe we could add a sd link too even if its included in the tasclient archive
Gota

Post by Gota »

If i may ask,Do you want people to stop using TASclient?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

That doesn't really explain why SD was removed.
Masure

Post by Masure »

Cause TASClient includes SD ?
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

However its completely capable of working without tasclient.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Licho wrote:However its completely capable of working without tasclient.
This. Particularly since SpringLobby's downloader system has always been problematic at best, running SpringDownloader alongside SpringLobby is perfectly reasonable.
Hacked

Post by Hacked »

i refuse to use springlobby
tasclient kicks so much ass
and the newest SD from the sd website doesnt crash on startup
tasclient + sd forever.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Pxtl: have you used SL's download system since the new structure was put together? it was down for a while only because the entire download system for spring files (not the site, but the tracker and such) was rebuilt. since SL became compatible with that system, I have never had a problem. click a map/mod I don't have, bam I have it (and in a format that doesn't wreck dependencies, unlike springdownloader >_>)
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

i'll just explain one last time why i asked that,

installer had an outdated tasclient missing most needed files and making people trying to use it say it sux, i know it's not a reason to remove it but a reason to fix it, but still, now i control the download link and i know it contains everything needed

putting a third party lobby like tasclient in the installer is stupid because no new user will install it unless someone told him, and people who heard about tasclient always ask where they can download it, they won't reinstall spring to get tasclient it's just stupid, so now tasclient is easy to download (on the spring rts download page)

and about SD it was installed with tasclient, iirc it never had its own item but maybe it's time to add one :) and adding a link to the download page too would be great
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

SL downloader should work now, its essentially same system except that SD also has Rapid downloading method, newer widgets tab, missions, submits data to modstats and auto starts mod and map download on map change.

Also only SD is capable of actually registering new maps/mods into the system (it does that automatically).

So I recommend its kept as an option in spring installer.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I agree, SD should be in the installer.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Personally I think a working install of TAS Client should be included by default in the installer. I've heard too many a time of people being told they could have dled TAS Client through the installer so they end up reinstalling Spring just to tick the damn box.

And even when they do do that, it appears the TAS Client in the installer doesn't really install it properly, as I have found anyway...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Licho wrote:... except that SD also has Rapid downloading method...
SL downloader now serves maps and mods to me at 15-20 mbps. I'd say that's pretty "rapid".

Edit: Ya know satirik, if you would just put a decent looking skin on tasclient that changes the interface from a 1995 IRC client, it would be a lot more easy to accept. Also, font rendering on tasclient is very blocky. Little nitpicks, but visuals account for a good 70% of initial "good feelings" about a product.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Don't make fool of yourself FA, Rapid is completely different method of storing and downloading content.

Natively supported by engine, content is shared across all installed mods/maps and this cuts download sizes and space taken significantly.

SL's torrent download system is identical to SD, expect exactly same behavior for ordinary map download. But Rapid is something completely different.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Satirik wrote:i'll just explain one last time why i asked that,

installer had an outdated tasclient missing most needed files and making people trying to use it say it sux, i know it's not a reason to remove it but a reason to fix it, but still, now i control the download link and i know it contains everything needed

putting a third party lobby like tasclient in the installer is stupid because no new user will install it unless someone told him, and people who heard about tasclient always ask where they can download it, they won't reinstall spring to get tasclient it's just stupid, so now tasclient is easy to download (on the spring rts download page)

and about SD it was installed with tasclient, iirc it never had its own item but maybe it's time to add one :) and adding a link to the download page too would be great
Noobs would install it if was in the installer ticked by default.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Haven't used the SL downloader since before it crapped out - but before the switchover it was moderately awful - poor user feedback and would choke and completely get hosed frequently, locked up until you cleaned out its' files.

Happy to hear it's working better now.
Hacked

Post by Hacked »

Forboding Angel wrote: Edit: Ya know satirik, if you would just put a decent looking skin on tasclient that changes the interface from a 1995 IRC client, it would be a lot more easy to accept. Also, font rendering on tasclient is very blocky. Little nitpicks, but visuals account for a good 70% of initial "good feelings" about a product.
options
->lobby options
->program tab
->colors and fonts button

my favorite font is calibri whats urs
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Licho wrote:Don't make fool of yourself FA, Rapid is completely different method of storing and downloading content.

Natively supported by engine, content is shared across all installed mods/maps and this cuts download sizes and space taken significantly.

SL's torrent download system is identical to SD, expect exactly same behavior for ordinary map download. But Rapid is something completely different.
You said "rapid" as in "quick". Last time I checked, 15mbps qualifies. So it's a different system... What do you want? A cookie?

In your post you attempted to make it sound as if SL's system is slow. It isn't, and I called you on it. Now if the best you can reply with is "Don't make a fool of yourself...", then that's just pathetic.

Different system that you describe sounds really cool, and great job! But please stop using every excuse as a thinly veiled attempt to dump on SL.

Better yet, get satirik to integrate CAD into tasclient and I'd say you're really onto a great idea. As a separate deal, it falls rather flat in my opinion.

Return to “Engine”