Spring Archiver

Spring Archiver

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Neuralize

Spring Archiver

Post by Neuralize »

Can we please have Spring archiver put stuff back into the Spring directory rather than the my documents directory? Spring downloader automatically does that, and there are some of us that like to keep our Spring folder on a single hard drive rather spanning across two.
AF
AI Developer

Re: Spring Archiver

Post by AF »

I agree if only because it is executable code, and does not belong in userland, it should remain alongside spring.exe at all times.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

It caused trouble with Vista/Windows 7 users - files were going to the Virtual Store instead of either the User folder or Program Files/Spring.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

OOOh I thoguht you meant the actual executables, for which there is a folder named modupdater in the my docs folder.

Neuralize, you can modify the system to point at your own spring folder and only your spring folder, just like linux users can.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Neuralize, you can modify the system to point at your own spring folder and only your spring folder, just like linux users can.
Care to explain how
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Moving content to program files doesn't work anymore after Windows XP unless we make it pop up UAC prompt or something.

Making ArchiveMover configurable (read: read same configuration sources as Spring/unitsync use) would be a good feature though.

In the mean time, feel free to keep using the old archive mover.
(Although before some version it may have issues with mods that have modinfo.lua instead of modinfo.tdf ...)
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

feel free to keep using the old archive mover.
Link?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

It's in older installers, I don't know at which time it was changed and I don't have direct link to it either.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

I, too, want a configurable archive mover. Because I keep my apps and windows installation on separate drives, I don't want Spring stuff getting into my My Documents folder.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

MidKnight wrote:I, too, want a configurable archive mover. Because I keep my apps and windows installation on separate drives, I don't want Spring stuff getting into my My Documents folder.
It's not in the my documents folder. It's in user/My Games/Spring

Do you really want to deal with uac all the time?
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

Under XP it is in My Documents though: My Documents\My Games\Spring. Yet another XP - Vista difference there.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I vote a big "Hell No" towards this request. Finally we're doin' it rite, and now all of a sudden we're gonna start doin it rong again jsut cause we can? Divide by 0.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Putting shit all over the place isn't 'rite'. It's fucking anoying.
Umbra

Post by Umbra »

Under windows 7 I have the folder as "My Documents/Spring".

I like how it's not in some stupid virtual store folder.
I do not like it in my Documents folder.
I would prefer the ability to tell the archiver where it should store the files.
Under linux you can tell spring where to look for files, even specify multiple locations. I would also like that under windows, if it isn't available yet.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Tobi wrote:Making ArchiveMover configurable (read: read same configuration sources as Spring/unitsync use) would be a good feature though.
No, because it would create the same issues that lobbies have with unitsync sometimes, ranging from cannot find to unitsync to using old one from previous install, not to speak about multiple installations (for playing and testign e.g.).

I like how it just worksÔäó
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Umbra wrote: I would prefer the ability to tell the archiver where it should store the files.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Auswaschbar wrote:
Tobi wrote:Making ArchiveMover configurable (read: read same configuration sources as Spring/unitsync use) would be a good feature though.
No, because it would create the same issues that lobbies have with unitsync sometimes, ranging from cannot find to unitsync to using old one from previous install, not to speak about multiple installations (for playing and testign e.g.).

I like how it just worksÔäó
+1

Look, after all the bellyaching about how windows is so much crap structure compared to linux, then all of a sudden windows starts doin' it rite so you want to do it all rong? How does that make any sense?

Have any of you thought about the fact that with archivemover putting things in the correct place now, no matter how many spring installs you have, you will alwyas have the same maps and mods available? This is a GOOD thing people!
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

The only bad thing is that my documents is located on my system drive, which has limited space, whereas my spring partition is just that - a drive to collect all my shit for spring.
Though I am a bit torn, since now my test build and play build can both access the same files... (winXP)
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

For me, it is exactly the same as for Beherith.
I agree that it is better as it is now, but i have limited space on my main drive. though.. these days this should be a problem of a minority, and they just have to move the big and seldomly used files from My Games/Spring to their spring partition, where there is no space issue. alternatively you caan also manually save the maps/mods to the location you want them, right when downloading with the browser.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

Beherith wrote:The only bad thing is that my documents is located on my system drive, which has limited space
had the same issue, but then i right-clicked right documents and told it to gtfo to a different drive. didn't even know that it was possible before.

Return to “Engine”