Swear words in method names - Page 2

Swear words in method names

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Re: Swear words in method names

Post by hoijui »

:D
yeah, western society is pretty sick there, and the english influenced countries seem to be worst: Killing is normal, swearing is bad, and sex/nudity is even worse.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

StayClear implies (to me) it asks the unit to stay at a given distance, while BuggerOff implies it asks the units to move out of the way. (which is exactly what it does => perfect choice for method name)

According to merriam webster the intransitive verb 'to bugger off' is only slang, and it means exactly what the method does:
slang British : leave, depart ÔÇöoften used as a command
So yeah, I totally agree with Kloot too :-)
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

I think the goto in the aircraft code is much more offensive than any other word.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

That's rather shameful. What file is it in?
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Bugger off is no where near the vulgarity of F off.

Mountains out of molehills much :roll:

Seriously, THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

bigger?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

There's a good lot of buggery in here, can I bugger you? Lets bugger each other! I buggered my other half up the arse this morning! Maybe you need to be buggered! Oh bugger.

Well, I'm glad that someone has decided to point out how SJ well and truely buggered the source code (lets hope he didn't make too big a mess ).

But I'm astonished that people think that buggery is akin to 'go away!', it can be used in any sentence by replacing the word fuck with bugger. Only its far more versatile e.g.

Shall we lick her bugger?

Now it isnt perhaps something as strong as other words in most areas of the UK, but its still something that children should never hear.

I would suggest using the word Nudge. Anybody who currently has BUGGER_OFF in their bos code can redefine it as NUDGE, and the lua apis can be changed too, although a good monkey patch of :

Code: Select all

randomluaapi.nudge = randomluaapi.bugger_off 

I expect a patch or commit renaming bugger off to something more sanitary would be welcomed, but it is not a big issues, please grep the linux kernel for fuck shite and shite
Regret

Post by Regret »

AF wrote:but its still something that children should never hear.
I'd love to hear the story behind this meme.
smoth

Post by smoth »

there are some christian families that find the word hell offensive saying stupid shit like H E double hockey sticks...

really..
Petah

Post by Petah »

Regret wrote:Haha. Did you notice how majority of games made with Spring involve mass murder and encourage the player to kill?

But yea, words are surely more offensive.
You cant murder robots
aegis

Post by aegis »

Petah wrote:You cant murder robots
how about robots with human brain/consciousness?
lurker

Post by lurker »

Yeah, BA isn't robots. CA is changing it but I'm not really going to count it until a story is decided on. Also S44 and starwars.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

In high school I had an Australian chemistry teacher. One day there were some kids in the hallway outside our class making noise. He got real mad and went outside to yell at them. He told them to bugger off a whole bunch of times. It was very amusing to all of us in the class but I had not known at the time what that meant. Looking back on it, perhaps he took pleasure in the fact that he could shout his country's equivalent of f--- off to some high school brats without any consequences.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

This whole thing is only a problem for the english, who are just too polite. Maybe functions should be named SirCanYouPleaseStepOutOfTheWay ?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I bid you pay a visit to the UK.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

CarRepairer wrote:In high school I had an Australian chemistry teacher. One day there were some kids in the hallway outside our class making noise. He got real mad and went outside to yell at them. He told them to bugger off a whole bunch of times. It was very amusing to all of us in the class but I had not known at the time what that meant. Looking back on it, perhaps he took pleasure in the fact that he could shout his country's equivalent of f--- off to some high school brats without any consequences.
Only, it isn't.
hughperkins
AI Developer

Post by hughperkins »

Fine...
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

This topic makes me smile... I used to say bugger all the time till someone told my mother what it meant... then I kept saying it but only when she wasn't listening... it was my favorite swear, thanks for reminding me of it, I will promptly begin using again.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

Oh bugger off. Don't you know that in computer science its a common naming convention to use strong words like this as identifiers?

**Edit** From Wikepedia:

The word may be used amongst friends in an affectionate way and is used as a vernacular noun in order to imply that one is very fond of something (I'm a bugger for Welsh cakes).[citation needed] It can also imply a negative tendency (He's a silly bugger for losing his keys) [i.e He's a fool for losing his keys often].[citation needed]

In some English speaking communities the word has been in use traditionally without any profane connotations. For instance, within the Anglo-Indian community in India the word "bugger" has been in use, in an affectionate manner, to address or refer to a close friend or fellow schoolmate. In the United States it can be a rough synonym to whippersnapper as in calling a young boy a "little bugger."[2]
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

AF wrote:But I'm astonished that people think that buggery is akin to 'go away!', it can be used in any sentence by replacing the word fuck with bugger. Only its far more versatile e.g.
Not buggery, bugger off.

Return to “Engine”