New utility app in development, for moders, mapers..whatever

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Utility to take files of "TYPE" from multiple directories and put into one directory.

I need to add a "Check Subdirectories" option now that I think about it.

It'll basically look for the type of file(s) you specifiy in the directories you specify and copy then all into one area, eliminating duplicates in the process.

Not sure how I'm going to handle duplicites... whether by file size, date or whatever... :-\ Any ideas?

So if you have ARMCK in 5 places, this will check for the most recent file and copy that into Destination. (If file date is what I eventually check for.) That could be optional too.

Don't ask to parse the files and check line-for-line... OY! That's 10 times more work.

Initial Comments before I finalize features?

-Buggi
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Let us pick what stays and whats deleted duplicate wise, or at least bring up a windows with a preview asking which one to save.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

This will actually be really useful just generally, I can now go through my C drive and stick all MP3s and WMAs in a certain folder... if I'm understanding this correctly...
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Yup..

I'm just hoping iI can get the recursive directory parser optimized.

Also note it'll be written in C# :-)

-Buggi
aTTacK

Post by aTTacK »

u can simply use the windows "search" option -> search all files u need /sort them by name/size/etc and copy them...

something i dont understand ?
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

Another tool that's worth considdering is a tool that converts TA 3DO's to a Mesh with triangles and 1 texture, ofcourse UV mapping will have to be figured out by the existing texture coordinates.

This is probably hard to implement, but it would be a good sollution if we wish to move to triangulated UV-mapped models :)
deadram

Post by deadram »

If you coded it in C++ with MFC, I already have a threaded, directory parser coded. It can only sort by alphabetical order, but it'll be easy to add a few lines to make another type of sorting method. Notice the "threaded" part ^.^ Making it ~extremely~ easy to press the cancel button. It also has a way to display a progress bar.

It was coded for a desktop image rotater I made, with efficiency in mind. it can easily go through 30,000+ files in under 5 minutes, and maitains a list of each file and desired file attributes.

You'd have to muck around in my code for a while before you saw what was really going on, but if you just didn't bother finding out 'how' then you could get something going in an hour or so :D

It's not entirly thread safe... ie: While the "loading files" thread is going, it's only safe to read data from the list being created in the GUI thread, and it's up to the coder to keep that from happening, but as I remeber there are global bool variables to set the current 'state' of the loader thread, and user defined messages between the loader thread and the GUI thread to notify each of import thing (ie: user terminates program, GUI tells loader thread to terminate, and waits, loader thread says 'I'm terminated' GUI thread starts up again and completed the shutdown)

Anyways, drop me a line in this thread if your interested.
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

*thread overload*

~~STACK OVERFLOW~~ x_x

:)

I was hoping to keep it simple. I'm not designing this to be something for the 400,000 files on all of your hard drives.

Just a handy utility for organizing certain files. Thanks for the offer! C# has a most excellent set of classes available. Directory.GetFiles(...); for instance.

-Buggi
deadram

Post by deadram »

Meh, I minor por... picture sites :D
Last time I tried to check there was 60,000+ files, and 2Gigs of... pictures
I just needed something to take care of the browsing for me XD

Yes... I do have to much time on my hands... and no life XD

Either way, my makeshift 'database' of files only takes... 10MB RAM for them 60,000+ files. And the thread closes itself off nicely, leaving room to recreate it ^.~

Ohh, and along side 'replace with newest', auto-renaming would be nice...

"c:\mydocs\olderfiles\filename.zip" ------> "c:\targetdir\filename<date>.zip"
"c:\mydocs\newerfiles\filename.zip" -----> "c:\targetdir\filename.zip"

Return to “Engine”