Can we have access to the latest XTA?

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

I have seen there http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/s ... &view=auto
that some changes have been made to XTA.
Can I test it? It there a temp link to download it?

Of course, it is to use in solo only.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

erg... thank god its only for xta!!! DOUBLING LoS! :s most sounds good but that and the way all artillery will be forced to use high traj...unless this is taking high traj from all other units and im being silly (but that would suck too bulldogs/thuds/stumpies REALLY benefit from high traj (+ it look cool 8) ))
colorblind
Spring Developer

Post by colorblind »

Min3mat, you're being silly indeed :). 50% extra LOS is not a doubling, it's one and a halve times as many. And artillery will not be forced to use high trajectory: those are the only units that will be able to use it. I agree with you it is a pity that the bulldogs etc lose this capability: it's very usefull if you want to shoot over some wreckages.

But Torrasque has a good point. Where can we get the modified XTA? It's not in the CVS ... And I desperately want to try out those Annihilators.
And if it's not too much trouble, I'm also quite anxiously waiting for a new release. So please please please ... release.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

but i love stumpies with high traj! but the rest...yeah umm....i was....tired? ;)
munch

M3M is right

Post by munch »

colorblind wrote:Min3mat, you're being silly indeed :). 50% extra LOS is not a doubling, it's one and a halve times as many.
Actually he's right. If you increase the LOS range by 50% you double the area over which you have LOS (actually you get a bit more than than doubling, a 125% increase to be precise - two and a quarter times as many).

Hope this clarifies things

Munch

PS I remember a long time back that one of the main reasons the SYs gave for not liking UberHack (mother of AA) was that it messed up TA's line of sight, which they rightly pointed out is a key part of the gameplay. Having line of sight or not is a big deal!
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

munch : LOS is _line_ of sight , not area of sight, so colorblind is right imho.
The thing important is how far your unit see.
me -->[]
Last edited by Torrasque on 20 Jul 2005, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
colorblind
Spring Developer

Post by colorblind »

Please, let's not turn this into a "he's right and he's not" discussion.

It is far better to redirect our energy to getting the SY to release XTA or another Spring version. Don't leave us hanging here! We need some updates!
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

Hm. Nope.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Since a lot of map have been made with sharp map, I think it's better for them to wait on it before releasing a new version.
Therefore, I would really try some new XTA stuff :)
colorblind
Spring Developer

Post by colorblind »

I think you underestimate the community. Given a new release there will be new maps out almost instantenously imho. But nevertheless it is a good idea to release the new map tools a short while before a new version of Spring, so that mapmakers have some time to make some maps.

Anyway, where were we? Oh yes, we wanted to lay our hands on some sweet new XTA :)
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

I have three maps currently ready for the new release.

Metal Heck (A much more decent remake than that one released long ago.)
Castles (Demonstrates variable hardness and unit speeds.)
Shore to Shore (Requested many a time, but never released.)

I'll probably do Ring Atoll, and maybe some others..
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

LOS really adds to the game, but its soo unrealistic. Normally unless it's very foggy you'll just see every unit coming at you from about 5 miles or so. I know Los adds strategic things, but I really welcome the increase.

Return to “Engine”