Spring 0.77b6 testing - Page 3

Spring 0.77b6 testing

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Re: Spring 0.77b6 testing

Post by AF »

Rather than posting walls of text, you can just post a link to a pastebin entry, and in doing so you guilt will cease to exist!
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Bug found: When i die, and then cheat myself back in the game, i cant give units to gaia player anymore, if using H button dialog, if typing the team number in the /give command, then it works. Also i cant select the other bots anymore in the (H button) list either...
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

i don't think any kind of resurrection of teams is supported. don't do that.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

I found that since the b2 and especially in b6 there are some very weird performance issues :
PC : Dell XPS M1530
CPU : 2.4 Ghz
GFX : Geforce 8600 GT 256MB CDDR3 @ 800Mhz
RAM : 4GB DDR2

BEFORE someone uses D-gun, the fps are running fine (~100)

AFTER a single D-gun is shot, the game slows down to 30-40fps for the rest of the game.

EXCEPTION if one of the commanders is killed, sometimes it gets back to normal for several minutes, unless someone dguns again.

Game strangely slows down in bases, ~30-40 buildings, about 20 of them are nanorets, barely any units. CPU usage is at 80% of both of the cores, and the fps drops significantly.

On the other hand, if I move my screen away to a battlefield, 20-ish defensive buildings + 50-100 units fighting, the fps and game temp gets back to normal immediately.

Gameplay related :
If you order 10 freakers to build a wall some of them are going to reclaim already built piece and build it again, due to the fact that walls become gaia after they are built.

In the description of the plasma deflector, it is said that if you go under the shield, you can shoot normally, which is not true. You basically cannot kill even unprotected deflector with core's Goliath, no matter what you do. E.g. friendly plasma is not deflected, and hostile plasma is, instead of ALL of the plasma coming from outside, and NONE from the inside.

This also strongly affects the sides which use mainly plasma weaponary, since even flashes cannot do anything against the plasma deflector (unless they come very close to it.)
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

imbaczek wrote:i don't think any kind of resurrection of teams is supported. don't do that.
Why the fuck not?
I can already do: /give armcom 1 (gives armcom to team 1)

But in H thing it doesnt work.

And yes, i want to resurrect teams if im testing maps/mods.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

Wow, all you said sounds.. interesting/important, ==Troy==.
==Troy== wrote: #3
If you order 10 freakers to build a wall some of them are going to reclaim already built piece and build it again, due to the fact that walls become gaia after they are built.
i saw this happening as well.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

I crawled some old messages of mine, and found stuff which isnt fixed yet:

SERIOUS: Can this bug be fixed already: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12995
(Acid water doesnt hurt always, randomly hurts.)

MINOR: Oh and could this be fixed too: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15844
(when i go to spec mode, i can see ghosted buildings. i can fix this by pressing every key from 0 to 9 and CTRL + 0 to 9)

ILLOGICAL: What about this? Is it fixed: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15785
(wind is not 30 when its min is 30 and max is 30. it can go like 5-15 sometimes)

MINOR: Oh this too: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14696
(When you click out of the box, and your mouse position has lower altitude, it can make the start position under ground because it gets the altitude of the mouse position, not the from the actual start position place.)

ANNOYING: Another: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14551
(When zoomed in you can hear explosion sounds even when you have disabled sounds with F6)

****, cant this forum be fixed too? when i edit post, my links gets truncated.
Last edited by TradeMark on 30 Oct 2008, 01:39, edited 2 times in total.
Pizzi1

Post by Pizzi1 »

Immobile builder, inside main spring installation does not work properly. All amphibious factories, build units and this widget put them on automatic guard on that factories (sometime this units can block the main exit of the factory). When i shut down this widget all amphibious factory work well. i have seen this problem using BA and XTA too
lurker

Post by lurker »

And it keeps annoyingly regiving orders.

Sound is fixed.

Truncated links are a sign that you should be doing things correctly and using [url] tags.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Speaking of stupid forum bugs, why can't I delete my own posts in this subforum?
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Buildings attack units they dont see.

Jellyfish can attack a submarine, even if it is not visible for the player, and there is no sonar.

Penetrators/doomsdays attack targets they cannot see. (no visible radar signal, targeted unit is not visible)
:: unsure whether this happens when there is a rader + jammer combination, or even without any radars around.

edit:
EMPed units return their turret to the default position.

#7 there is no LOS check with gaia, sabots/gauss attempts to shoot at the enemies through the fortification.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

lurker wrote:Sound is fixed.
Sound isnt fixed? i tried with r6915... same shit when i zoom in and blow my com or dgun.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I'd like to add a bug, if it hasn't been fixed already:

The values for UnitReplyVolume, UnitReplySoundVolume (why are there two values for this) are borked and don't work. My guess is that it's because Spring is actually reading the value from UnitReplyVolume (defaults to 80, cannot be changed by SpringSettings), but SpringSettings is altering UnitReplySoundVolume, which is not actually being used.

Please fix this. It's soooo annoying that you can't adjust the sounds of unit replies to a non-ear-shattering volume.

Just to address a few of the bugs:
It's not Gaia, it's a Feature, and therefore has no Team assigned. Basically, it's not an engine problem, it's a mod problem.
there is no LOS check with gaia, sabots/gauss attempts to shoot at the enemies through the fortification.
Again, it's not Gaia (which is a Team assignment for Units)... it's a Feature, and the weapons involved try to fire through Features, like they did in OTA, which is the behavior that the game designers wanted.
Buildings attack units they dont see. Jellyfish can attack a submarine, even if it is not visible for the player, and there is no sonar.
I've seen a lot of odd stuff with LOS in this build, on some maps. I've seen the fire-at-invisible stuff many times, and reported that issue nearly a year ago. Hasn't been fixed yet.
If Stunned, Units are told that they aren't moving and have no valid targets, and therefore animate appopriately. It's a mod problem, not an engine problem. Fixing it is non-trivial, don't hold your breath.
Game strangely slows down in bases, ~30-40 buildings, about 20 of them are nanorets, barely any units. CPU usage is at 80% of both of the cores, and the fps drops significantly.
If you have that many nanoturrets, they're causing most of the lag, due to particle counts.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Argh wrote:The values for UnitReplyVolume, UnitReplySoundVolume (why are there two values for this) are borked and don't work. My guess is that it's because Spring is actually reading the value from UnitReplyVolume (defaults to 80, cannot be changed by SpringSettings), but SpringSettings is altering UnitReplySoundVolume, which is not actually being used.
default unitreply soundfile volume was/is 5.0f, so the range was "/unitreplyvolume [0.0-0.2]".

And yeah, UnitReplySoundVolume is there cuz of backward compability (UnitReplyVolume is the new tag).
Argh

Post by Argh »

And yeah, UnitReplySoundVolume is there cuz of backward compability (UnitReplyVolume is the new tag).
The default for that was 0.8 in the Registry, and SpringSettings doesn't change that value. I guess I'll forward this to koshi, see if it can't get fixed before the next release of P.U.R.E.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Argh wrote:
If you have that many nanoturrets, they're causing most of the lag, due to particle counts.
Every nanoret releases about 1-2 particles total (they are limited at quite a low value) so its doubtful that it is the case, unless the particles are still calculated, but are just not drawn.
Buildings attack units they dont see. Jellyfish can attack a submarine, even if it is not visible for the player, and there is no sonar.
I've seen a lot of odd stuff with LOS in this build, on some maps. I've seen the fire-at-invisible stuff many times, and reported that issue nearly a year ago. Hasn't been fixed yet.
This has started happening quite frequently, and on the maps that I have never seen the bug before, such as dsd, and pretty much any other map.
lurker

Post by lurker »

TradeMark wrote:
lurker wrote:Sound is fixed.
Sound isnt fixed? i tried with r6915... same shit when i zoom in and blow my com or dgun.

Code: Select all

====> lurker committed revision 6934 <====
* Modified:
     trunk/rts/System/Platform/Linux/OpenALSound.cpp
     trunk/rts/System/Platform/Win/DxSound.cpp
* Log:
     * Sound clips won't play at all when disabled.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Argh wrote:
It's not Gaia, it's a Feature, and therefore has no Team assigned. Basically, it's not an engine problem, it's a mod problem.
Engine problem. These features are not reclaimed with an area reclaim because they do have a team assigned; the engine problem is that there is no check that the pending construction is the same thing as what the team already has there.
Argh wrote:
If Stunned, Units are told that they aren't moving and have no valid targets, and therefore animate appopriately. It's a mod problem, not an engine problem. Fixing it is non-trivial, don't hold your breath.
Engine problem. The fact that it tells the units they have no targets rather than actually paralyzing them is an error. Making the script check for paralysis before doing anything, halt any movements that are in progress, and also reset any timers when unfrozen, is nothing more than a hack. An ugly and slow one. The ability to have units not actually paralyze might be desired, but that would be a special case behavior that would only occur when the game designer asked for it.
lurker

Post by lurker »

==Troy== wrote:#4
In the description of the plasma deflector, it is said that if you go under the shield, you can shoot normally, which is not true. You basically cannot kill even unprotected deflector with core's Goliath, no matter what you do. E.g. friendly plasma is not deflected, and hostile plasma is, instead of ALL of the plasma coming from outside, and NONE from the inside.

This also strongly affects the sides which use mainly plasma weaponary, since even flashes cannot do anything against the plasma deflector (unless they come very close to it.)
That's at least largely the mod's settings. Bug NOiZE to change the description.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

The lua call gl.Text no longer works the same way it used to. Its now not anti aliased, and also, it stretches when using anything other than 4:3 ratio resolutions.

Return to “Engine”