Aircraft and the current flight code. - Page 2

Aircraft and the current flight code.

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

j5mello

Re: Aircraft and the current flight code.

Post by j5mello »

the Fuel system isn't terrible but it is a little restrictive...

in my mind i would rather have it so that you could define what types/categories of craft can use the pad like how armor.txt works... also would be nice if we could have different pad "levels" per model so that something like a fleet support ship in a space mod could have 10 fighter docks and 5 corvette docks.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Well, if you get into that, then there's also issues with different refuelling rates per unit, seperate from the repair rate, and so on. Youl could get obscenely complex with this. Plus, the possibility of trying to make planes prefer to stay on pads while waiting for orders. And then do it all over again when you try to expand the refuelling code to land units, etc.

The subject at hand is the flight behaviour, and that's it. The fuelling system could be dealt with later, since it sounds like it is pretty independant from flight behaviour.

Personally, my "desired feature" for flight behaviour would be to support very-short-ranged weapons through allowing air-units to change altitudes to attack units that are far outside their cruisealt.

That and blurring the line between gunships and land-units would be my other fantasy, but that's a whole other discussion (gunships with typemaps, collision-avoidance, pushing, slope tolerances, etc, for true hovertanks).
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I just want to see air units fly with some intelligence around the map; to not bump into each other wherever possible, and to dogfight with some semblance of reality (ie: not flipping in circles after each other). I want to see transports be able to fly like normal aircraft, so that I can see my laat's not handling like tanks in the air and bouncing up and down for no particular reason.

I want to see gunships not twitch around when flying.
ILMTitan
Spring Developer

Post by ILMTitan »

I'm currently refactoring some of the CAirMoveType, CTAAirMoveType and CAirCAI to better define the boundry between the Command AI and the Move Type, in preperation for creating a CNewAirMoveType, which I intend to make usable as a mod and/or unit option. I'll probably be committing my current changes tomorrow, after I test to make sure they don't break anything.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Nice! Glad you've had time to get to this :-)

Return to “Engine”