REQ: Satellites

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Buggi

Post by Buggi »

I'd like the option/ability to produce and place satellites as units.

This would require the cooperation of a few different people. A model of the satellite, a model of the building that "launches" the satellite and the script to do so.

As well as SY support in-code for a Satellite type of unit. These units would hover WAY above the ground and either give roaming radar (*dar) coverage, or expensive "spy" satellites could even give glimpses of the ground over enemy territory. These units could simply roam around the map at random or they could stay stationary (at a energy cost). But they'd be WAYYYYYYY up there :) There could be weapon-based satellites too, but that'd have to be uber expensive to do and one they're out of ammo, that'd be it, time for re-entry. :D

Natrually there'd be defences against them. A satallite rocket for example.

I think this a rock solid unit idea for strategy (moreso than a krogoth :P) and a great one showing off 3dness.

-Buggi
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

In real life satilites orbit planets.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Doomweaver wrote:In real life satilites orbit planets.
No kidding..

:roll:
Cheery

Post by Cheery »

The idea is good, but I refer they aren't imitating normal satellites then, they must imitate these weather balls which flies some time, then drops on the ground and trashes.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Doesn't sound like a development issue but more like a unit idea. What part exactly requires change to the engine? Oh, and TLL ion gun is supposed to represent an orbital weapon.
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

can someone put that download on file universe?

I don't want to be spammed to death by FP... :shock:

Development would come into play either enableing the new unit class and allowing it to roam around the map, and also ensuring it stays at Y height
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

actually, this would be really great...opens up all sorts of sweet posibilities for mods (makes on facet of mine much easier to implement ^^)
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Thank you!!

Still need satallites though ^_^;;

-Buggi
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Um..... take a plane, give it like 5000 cruisealt, and defaultmissiontype set to patrol, or something. It'll work like a satellite. Give it a very slow turnrate, big radar coverage, some short range laser, and make it ignore land targets (toairweapon), and it will be just what you want. If you set it to patrol, it'll orbit around the map due to its low turnrate.

Actually, a new unit tag will be also needed for the TAFF mod. Something like IsStarship, so that the unit never lands.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

Satelite functions are definitly a must, i'd also like to see a on/off-able LOS extending tag, for recon units, and maybe even a conical LOS toggle that would extend LOS in a cone for scope type weapons and maybe binoculars, in FPS mode it would also cause the unit to zoom in, could be very useful for units with a very long range.

a Third Person view would also be useful, IMO.
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

*poke*

I still want Satellites!! ^_^

-Buggi
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

yah would be very cool for mods! :twisted: mmm ion cannons (C&C) or for that matter particle cannons (Generals/the purple 'un from Zero Hour!)
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

The issue with this, I believe, is that units have cylindrical, not spherical, fire zones.

This means that a unit standing under the satellite will attempt to fire up at it, even though it doesn't stand a chance at hitting it.
Icedragon

Post by Icedragon »

Wouldn't be all that hard to implement a height cap on shots fired.

if (Ysub2)-(Ysub1) > (-Vsub0)/(2G) Then Don't fire

Ysub1 being unit elevation and Ysub2 being target elevation
shnorb

Post by shnorb »

omg coolest idea for a while! each satellite should have a different function but be broken into two types:

non-geostationary satellites: dont take long to build because they pass across the map every x mins at x km/h and so dont have as much power as the geostationary satellites.

geostationary satellites: take longer to build because they have the ability to and fuel to (after being launched) move into a geostationary orbit (remain in same place).

here are a few good functions:

-large los
-total los (or very very large)
-large radar
-total radar (or very very large)
-ion cannon/particle beam/orbital laser thingo (very large damage range, extreme long recharge time and instant attack when target given)
-nukes/emps (same as regular nuke silo)
-omg!!!111 some kind of funky tractor thingo that could pull the selected unit into the air and drop it once it reaches a certain height, or even better fling it in selected direction (hehehe throw an attacking peewee into the sea :P )

there would be problems with being able to have massive los and radar and also be able to attack with a particle beam instantle, so maybe the "satellite making factory" could have a limit to satellites that can be built, or the types that can be built.
for countermeasures you could have special emps that destroy them (not literally, just cause them to not function), and also knock them a little, so they slowly start to spin off course, or crash into the ground. :twisted:

EDIT: this isnt really just a satellite defence but it would be cool (and has no doubt been suggested before). shields... :-) ...electric shields... these would only appear when attacked (as ripples) and would absorb the energy of the attack. ie. when attacked by a nuke a certain amount of energy would be subtracted from energy. this means that for the shield to be of any use you would have to have a large amount of energy production. this means that a large amount of berthas firing at the same time at the shield means that a few shots could get through. also the shield could act as they do on dune: the shield only blocks objects/energy moving at a certain (high) speed, so it cannot block out actual units. that would be so awesome!!!
Last edited by shnorb on 21 Jun 2005, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

non-geostationary satellites: dont take long to build because they pass across the map every x mins at x km/h and so dont have as much power as the geostationary satellites.
That would be a problem with balancing that may proove to be too much.

I think that this would work. Implement my idea of weapons loosing energy and accuracy as they fall and satellites suddenly arent superweapons.

This is also an excuse for my satellite view idea like in homeworld or supreme commander. A nice simple view of the entire battlefield with a symbol for different types of units.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Good point.

But if you want a satillite, don't you basically just want an invisible unit that does whatever it does? (Like reveal the map, initiate orbital bombardments etc.) Because when you say the satellite orbits the planet, do you mean the planet, or the map? Because for them to orbit the planet at a descent speed, they would have to pass over the map damn quickly.

I can imagine, though, a battle on say, Core Prime, where core has satellites covering the planet. It could be a unit that you press Fsomething to select, and you can choose between it's functions.

THe counter could be nukes, I suppose. Instead of attacking a point on the map, you click Destroy Sattelite.

Or there could be specific anti-satellite units.

You could have a game like this: Core starts with a satellite and a commander, Arm with a Galactic Gate (does nothing), a commander, a whole lot of radar jammers and a mobile fusion.

So the Arm have to create their own cover.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

*Methinks of USA and Soviet satellite weaponry and antisatellite technology and its development throughout the coldwar.*
Missiles fired from units such as a merl or diplomat or nuke silo should eb capable of firing at satellites.
Antisatellite satellites, spacecraft, tractor and repulser beams to bring them down to earth, lack of energy to keep them in orbit (satellites could use ion engines to push themselves into orbital speeds, meaning they ould never run out and could stay in whatever orbit they choose as logn as they have energy, otherwise their orbit would deteriorate after a few decades or centuries.

Return to “Engine”