New mapconv?

New mapconv?

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Dead.Rabit

New mapconv?

Post by Dead.Rabit »

Heyya, ive got to do a programming project that'll last me a few weeks, and i decided to do something with .bmp files. talked to the people in the mapping dept and they seem to want a new mapconv.

anyway, it seems like a good plan, DevIL doesnt seem too hard, but besides that, what does mapconv actually do? =p

is there somewhere i can read about smf/smt files, i dont know any of the proccesses mapconv goes through or the format of the output smf/smt files.

can anyone point me in the right direction?
thanks
D.R
Tobi
Spring Developer

Re: New mapconv?

Post by Tobi »

There is mapconv code in Spring SVN, I believe someone once said this was mother's mapconv source.

https://spring.clan-sy.com/svn/spring/t ... ls/MapConv

The map file format can also be looked up in the sourcecode (or the doxygen documentation):

https://spring.clan-sy.com/svn/spring/t ... /mapfile.h

Basically mapconv tiles the texture based on some quality setting, compresses the tiles using DXT1 and stores them in the .smt. It stores tilemap, metalmap, typemaps and a list of features (based on feature map) in the .smf.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Just wanted to make a few requests that are missing from the current mapconv.

1) The ability to change metal map, height map, feature position, top-height, bottom-height and waterline(believe this is defined by those two) without recompressing the tile data would be an infinite boon to map makers (shaving HOURS off the process)

2) When defining feature position also allowing the rotation of the feature to be defined.

3) The Ability to read in multiple source images and stitch them together

4) Calculate the needed RAM to process the map so that it fails at the start of the process instead of after 20 minutes for files that are too large

5) The ability to export the data from a compiled map into a usable format

6) The ability to read in manually defined tile set position lists instead of a large single image

Only Number 1 is really important, the rest are just wish-lists
Dead.Rabit

Post by Dead.Rabit »

wonderful, thankyou.
[edit] - sorry, me being stupid =p
D.R

Return to “Engine”