Spring 0.76: pending stuff - Page 3

Spring 0.76: pending stuff

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

What I'd like to see is a stable release soon. Could you please stop [adding|proposing|suggesting] new features till this is done?
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Auswaschbar wrote:What I'd like to see is a stable release soon. Could you please stop [adding|proposing|suggesting] new features till this is done?
+1^lots
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

So +1 then? :P
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Auswaschbar wrote:What I'd like to see is a stable release soon. Could you please stop [adding|proposing|suggesting] new features till this is done?
The Current release IS stable...
smoth

Post by smoth »

and very bugged.
rcdraco

yea

Post by rcdraco »

I'll go with smoth on it, the current release was a good idea, but besides LUA, there was no major reason to upgrade, when we could've waited a few months for a version that has resync and more LUA features.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Erm no.

Frequent releases are better because:
  • The people here who mod and make patches sometimes like to be able to use what they made without waiting a year. IOW, the more frequent releases are, the more people are motivated to contribute.
  • Less bugs in releases that follow each other shortly (compare 0.75b1 and 0.75b2 anyone?)
  • More feedback. I still barely see any of the people in this thread organising big MP battles on the test server, so the only effective way of testing and getting feedback and bug reports is still doing a real release.
  • Related to that, feedback is more useful the sooner you get it, so more frequent releases are better then less frequent releases.
  • Not releasing because 'there are not enough major changes' would probably result in feature creep => not releasing at all for a long time.
Auswaschbar: +1

As for the other suggestions, thanks for your input and I am sure they would be really useful, but I do not have time to care about those (IMHO minor) points, so I'd suggest you to write a patch yourself or find someone to do it for you.

They also are in no way release blocking. Heck, many of them are even feature requests technically...
smoth

Post by smoth »

Tobi wrote:Frequent releases are better because:
  • The people here who mod and make patches sometimes like to be able to use what they made without waiting a year. IOW, the more frequent releases are, the more people are motivated to contribute.
  • Less bugs in releases that follow each other shortly (compare 0.75b1 and 0.75b2 anyone?)
  • More feedback. I still barely see any of the people in this thread organising big MP battles on the test server, so the only effective way of testing and getting feedback and bug reports is still doing a real release.
  • Related to that, feedback is more useful the sooner you get it, so more frequent releases are better then less frequent releases.
  • Not releasing because 'there are not enough major changes' would probably result in feature creep => not releasing at all for a long time.
+1
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

So what currently is holding up the release?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

1) my lack of time
2) some TAServer protocol changes that are urgently needed to allow for the new stuff in start scripts and through LUA etc.
3) stuttering replays
maybe some other major bugs I don't know about yet or which I temporarily forgot

See first post, I'm trying to keep that up to date.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The AFLobby + spring crash after loading has been verified to also affect s44, and was 100% reproducible when reported to me.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Is this archive mover thing supposed to be in the next release? I don't really like this at all, there should be an option to disable it. I used to open SDZs on the fly with TC as it reads the headers rather than extensions.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

You know those checkboxes in the installer? You could have unchecked that.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

unitsync seems fixed

Also I added the test trepan made for it to buildbot (and it's being run in valgrind), so hopefully any memory corruption/leaks introduced from now on is catched early on.

Those who look on the buildbot status page sometime may have noticed too that I added some tests of the installer (using silent (un)install in wine :-)).

One test tests that uninstall truely removes all installed files, and the other test tests that install/upgrade/uninstall truely removes all installed files and also that the installed files are all the same (though that last part is not finished yet, it's still a bit crappy).
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

So that's why the full installer I used yesterday deleted my shaders directory?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

No that's because I moved the shaders into springcontent.sdz

It's unrelated to the tests.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Ah, okay. In 4714 (full install!) I had to copy the folder over because it wouldn't run otherwise.

BTW, a later version worked properly.
Last edited by KDR_11k on 06 Nov 2007, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

props for setting up tests, much needed. sorry for unitsync b0rkage, too; it's nearly impossible to debug on windows with all those different lobbies and gdb printing broken stacktraces after crashes.

PS. test uninstall could also test if it doesn't remove any additional files (one of KP installers had such 'feature' IIRC, and some early Firefox version uninstalled whole Program Files.)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

KDR_11k wrote:You know those checkboxes in the installer? You could have unchecked that.
I suggest calling it Archive Mover there too. :P
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

KDR_11k wrote:Ah, okay. In 4714 (full install!) I had to copy the folder over because it wouldn't run otherwise.

BTW, a later version worked properly.
Yeah, I forgot to add the shaders directory to the scripts to regenerate springcontent.sdz, so some revisions didn't run.

Newer builds should run fine again.
imbaczek wrote: props for setting up tests, much needed. sorry for unitsync b0rkage, too; it's nearly impossible to debug on windows with all those different lobbies and gdb printing broken stacktraces after crashes.

PS. test uninstall could also test if it doesn't remove any additional files (one of KP installers had such 'feature' IIRC, and some early Firefox version uninstalled whole Program Files.)
Thanks. Yeah, debugging DLLs is kinda hard/impossible without test suite.

I will try to get around to better uninstall test, but first need to fix up the upgrade test a bit more. It doesn't properly check yet that indeed an upgraded install is identical to a fresh install, which was the goal of the test :-)

I also plan to put buildbot stuff into git sometime, so then I could even accept patches for the tests ;-)

Return to “Engine”