You knew it was coming: Mac version?

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Pooga

Post by Pooga »

Holy moly. This "Spring" thing (discovered it yesterday) looks to be the most awesome addition to the most awesome game.

But there's a catch. Not only do I not run Windows, I don't use Linux either, like someone in another topic. I have a Mac. I know nothing about TA in terms of scripting, or anything other than blowing stuff up. Is it possible that anyone else can port this over to the OS X?

Thanx!
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

as soon as a linux port is ready, it shouldn't be much more of a leap to get it running in OSX
coryrc

Re: You knew it was coming: Mac version?

Post by coryrc »

Pooga wrote:Holy moly. This "Spring" thing (discovered it yesterday) looks to be the most awesome addition to the most awesome game.

But there's a catch. Not only do I not run Windows, I don't use Linux either, like someone in another topic. I have a Mac. I know nothing about TA in terms of scripting, or anything other than blowing stuff up. Is it possible that anyone else can port this over to the OS X?

Thanx!
Everything we are doing in the Linux port will go to the three major platforms, at least (hopefully anything POSIX or WIN32 with OpenGL).

Your help will get it done faster.

https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/taspri ... c.cgi/wiki
Pooga

Post by Pooga »

Oh really! That's good news.

I actually have negative scripting skills, but if there's something├óÔé¼┬ªthat's├óÔé¼┬ªnot scripting├óÔé¼┬ª

Thanx for answering my questions!
CatalyticPrefect

Post by CatalyticPrefect »

Do you acctually have a good reason for using a mac or did you buy one "just because"?

I'm curious. :lol: I swear I've never meant anyone in my life that gave me an intelligent answer to that question.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

I aactually DEMAND a reponse to this (i need a good laugh!)
Subdino

Post by Subdino »

jouninkomiko wrote:as soon as a linux port is ready, it shouldn't be much more of a leap to get it running in OSX
If everything is coded andianness-aware and register-size-aware, there shouldn't be much trouble. I can test such things on my ultra sparc sun if you want :wink: (big endian, 64 bits) .
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

CatalyticPrefect wrote:Do you acctually have a good reason for using a mac or did you buy one "just because"?
A friend of mine finished it's university course and began investigation at the Calouste Gulbenkian foundation.

In there, he started to use mostly Linux operating systems. But he is now working most of the time on a Mac OS x laptop.

As he says, after trying all those OSs, he has never hated Windows so much and he's favorite is now the Mac OS x.

At first, the Mac OS x seemed him insultingly easy to work with, but then, after he got used to it, he now likes very much how easy it is to work with it, how all things make sense and are easy to figure out in the way they work.

Got to try it myself one of these days... :-)
Subdino

Post by Subdino »

PauloMorfeo wrote:he's favorite is now the Mac OS x
BTW, MacOS X (not the previous ones) is based on BSD, its kernel is open source, and it can be named a "unix" OS. From what I saw, the graphical interface is _really_ great (but it is also proprietary software).
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I think a Commadore 64 version should be higher in the priority list than the Mac version.
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

Caydr wrote:I think a Commadore 64 version should be higher in the priority list than the Mac version.
:cry:

Many people don't have the money for these fancy new 64bit machines! Oh, wait...

Anyway, lots of mac users loved and love TA; they're still asking for a native version for MacOS X, but it looks like it's not going to happen. So TA Spring might be a very welcome alternative.

And to answer that one, too: I love MacOS X because it's REALLY easy to use, has a nice kernel and a unix terminal, and some really interesting technology like the (unfortunately proprietary) graphics layer or CoreImage. And H.264 support. And great free DevTools. And... :wink:
Alterscape

Post by Alterscape »

I own both a desktop PC and a mac laptop. The PC dualboots Debian and WinXP, and gets used for gaming and my electronics hobby stuff (circuit design, uC programming, etc). The powerbook does my film editing stuff. (FinalCut Pro = less expensive than Avid and just about as sweet). I wouldn't have bought the mac if I hadn't got it ridiculously cheap from a friend's girlfriend who dropped it, admitted to Apple that she dropped it (thus voiding the warranty) and then decided to sell it cheap to finance buying a PC laptop -- I put in a few hours fixing the internals back up and it (mostly) runs alright now.
CatalyticPrefect

Post by CatalyticPrefect »

PauloMorfeo wrote:A friend of mine finished it's university course and began investigation at the Calouste Gulbenkian foundation.
That isn't really a reason... does this place have something to do with technology?
Subdino wrote: BTW, MacOS X (not the previous ones) is based on BSD, its kernel is open source, and it can be named a "unix" OS. From what I saw, the graphical interface is _really_ great (but it is also proprietary software).
Simply having an open source kernal and being unix makes it good? Better GUI than Windows XP?
Kelvin wrote: And to answer that one, too: I love MacOS X because it's REALLY easy to use, has a nice kernel and a unix terminal, and some really interesting technology like the (unfortunately proprietary) graphics layer or CoreImage. And H.264 support. And great free DevTools. And... Wink
I don't see where you would need any of that stuff unless you work for industrial light and magic or something. It makes more sense to have a plain 2d OS like XP than have one that needs to render the graphics crazy OS and any games you're playing at the same time.
renrutal

Post by renrutal »

CatalyticPrefect wrote:I don't see where you would need any of that stuff unless you work for industrial light and magic or something. It makes more sense to have a plain 2d OS like XP than have one that needs to render the graphics crazy OS and any games you're playing at the same time.
With that opinion I'd have to say that I also don't need to run a Linux distro(Linux version 2.6.10-gentoo-r6 (gcc version 3.3.5 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.5-r1, ssp-3.3.2-3, pie-8.7.7.1))), as Windows would fill my needs completely and even better than Linux does.

So why am I running it, even if I struggle everyday to make it just a bit better? Because I like it. I hope it's not that hard to grasp that concept.

That said, I'd love to run some Mac OS, I still haven't even seen one a live.
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

CatalyticPrefect wrote:Simply having an open source kernal and being unix makes it good?
It helps. Very good multithreading is something nice to have, as is solid memory management. I mean, we can do some mental ray network rendering, and I can continue to work on my G5 without even noticing (because of the smart load handling)!
CatalyticPrefect wrote:I don't see where you would need any of that stuff unless you work for industrial light and magic or something.
Got me. :wink: Well, we don't do it on that level, but the direction is the same.
CatalyticPrefect wrote:It makes more sense to have a plain 2d OS like XP than have one that needs to render the graphics crazy OS and any games you're playing at the same time.

The graphics layer acceleration (Quartz 2D Extreme, as it's called) isn't 3D. It's just shifting the job from the CPU to the GPU via OpenGL. Of course, you can do some pretty fancy stuff with it, but there's much more, and the idea behind it is great. Check out the link in my last post if you want to know.

Don't get me wrong, I don't say that MacOS X is the answer to all questions or in every aspect superior to windows. Because it isn't. In the end it's just about liking it or not. I've been working with Windows and Linux a lot, they have their strengths, too. But I can do the things I want to do more efficient on my mac - and that's what matters for me.
Subdino

Post by Subdino »

CatalyticPrefect wrote:Simply having an open source kernal and being unix makes it good? Better GUI than Windows XP?
To me it sounds like you never saw what it looks like and what it "feels".
To me it's the most advanced GUI I've ever seen.

The open-source thing is something more about idealism and philosophy (the first step to make a software package free, the idea of sharing knowledge instead of making it the secret of a few - rich - ones).

The unix-like thing has advantages I think no programmer could deny : POSIX compliance allowing great portability (have a look at linux : an amd & intel 64 bits port were ready in weeks, while microsoft was crawling to make its OS work on them, have a look at netbsd that work on machines you would never think to as a computer).
Once something works on a unix OS, it can work everywhere with minimal pain (a recent example is firefox & the whole mozilla suite, a more linuxish example would be Debian who provides binary packages for more than ten hardware architecture just by building the same source automaticaly once for each architecture - and Gentoo which makes the user build his own binaries from sources).
kneeslasher

Post by kneeslasher »

Wonderful to hear that a Mac version may be possible. I posted something about this in the General forum. Never thought of looking here!

Return to “Engine”