Noexplode eardrum bashing

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Decimator

Post by Decimator »

http://taspring.clan-sy.com/mantis/view.php?id=298

Projectiles using noexplode often get stuck on hills they move over, causing them to continually detonate on one particular spot, and making insane amounts of noise.

E&E has several units which utilize noexplode projectiles, so this is a bit of an issue.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

This surely must have been set to fix earlier :shock:

This has been around for a long time..
Acreo Aeneas

Post by Acreo Aeneas »

:shock:

And I have always thought that was intended.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

So remove the noexplode?
I don't really see what's the actual bug here, doesn't the projectile react as intented?
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

No, what happens is the projectile hits the hill, then it stays in the same area continuosly making the explode sound. It happens every once in a while.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Yeah..it should expire after a certain amount of time, not distance. That's all it would take.
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

Removing the noexplode would ruin the point of the sonic weapons in E&E. Also, the Ion weapons used to be lasers before noexplode for lasers was broken a while back: http://taspring.clan-sy.com/mantis/view.php?id=176
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Wait, it doesn't... That sux.. I should check mantis more often.
Acreo Aeneas

Post by Acreo Aeneas »

Since you said it happens once in a while, could it be that it keeps exploding in that same place due to an incorrect storage of data in physical memory?
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

No, it is easily reproduced. Just fire an ion cannon tank at the ground towards a hill.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

A noexplode shot that's inside the ground will stay there until its explosion has caused a crater deep enough so it's no longer underground. I guess this is due to some code that's supposed to prevent projectiles from exploding underground.
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

jcnossen Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:04 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So remove the noexplode?
I don't really see what's the actual bug here, doesn't the projectile react as intented?
Wow.. never thought Id have a dev say that to someone..

Noexplode shots get stuck trying to go up hills they just stay in one spot exploding louder and louder until they eventually disipates. This is not how I envision this.. Id think it would either just flow right up and over the hill, or go right through it.. not stop and get stuck..

I use this effect to get the desired effect on some key weapons in the mod, without it they would be much more limited and not as useful as Id like.. so personally Id rather some code work around be set up rather than having to remove the effect from the weapons... but..
Orakio

Post by Orakio »

I've had this bug, possibly with unit overload on speed metal. I remember a while ago firing some kind of plasma weapon and it got stuck on a bump in the terrain and kept exploding constantly it was horrible if you've had it you'll probably remember it.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

P3374H wrote:Yeah..it should expire after a certain amount of time, not distance. That's all it would take.
Why was I ignored....It's a perfect solution. Currently, the projectiles expire after they have traversed a certain distance. If they get stuck, they stay in the same place exploding until they deform the terrain enough to get past. If their behavior were to be modified so that they expired in a certain amount of time, this problem would be fixed.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

P3374H wrote:
P3374H wrote:Yeah..it should expire after a certain amount of time, not distance. That's all it would take.
Why was I ignored....It's a perfect solution. Currently, the projectiles expire after they have traversed a certain distance. If they get stuck, they stay in the same place exploding until they deform the terrain enough to get past. If their behavior were to be modified so that they expired in a certain amount of time, this problem would be fixed.
No. Then it would just get stuck for a shorter time. It doesn't fix the bug at all.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Both mantis #176 and #298 are fixed in SVN now.
(Noexplode projectiles get stuck & Noexplode no longer works with lasers)

With a noExplode CExplosiveProjectile (thats what's used by EE .163 gdmtanki) the weapon just continues in a straight line and causes explosions at ground level - so it basically goes through hills.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Very cool. Thanks for fixing that!
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

Thank you, Tobi.

Return to “Help & Bugs”