Crashes just befor play (Not Working... Sort of)

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Right, It all starts up fine. It will load all the loading. It will even show me (tantalisingly) the map. It will move the camera to what i assume is the start poss, and then count down (or in a demo it will say hit enter...). And at that point (on the enter or on the count down finsh...) it will crash.

Anoying as hell, plus it then opens outlook if i try and send (or attempts to... i dont have outlook set up...)

Ill try and see if i can find the log and post it...

Any help?

aGorm
Last edited by aGorm on 27 Apr 2005, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Me, oRCen and Gnome seconds that. We get to the screen that says "waiting for players", after which, the game shuts down... doesn't crash or start anything, just close.

See the grassy fields... so close, but so far.

When playing myself I have no commander when I get into the game. Everything else looks fine.
The Grand Poobah

Post by The Grand Poobah »

Did you turn shadows off? It would only work for me once I did that (and its definitely not a hardware problem).
Storm

Post by Storm »

I can only play on one map and with one special guy. Same goes for MaulMachine and Athens. It's the freakiest error ever.

And I'm searching to enable shadows somewhere...
Tangaroa

Post by Tangaroa »

I get this error too, and I do have shadows off.

In fact, TA Spring seems not to care what settings I have on, as soon as I press enter, it promptly dies, it even once gave me a blue screen of death.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I was at first trying to play it on Full maxed out (which im sure my machine could handle...) however after getting desperate i turned every single option off, in an atempt to see if i could find out which option was crashing it.
However, even with all the sliders down and everything off, it crashed out.

In the consoul bit at the top it will say

aGorm joined the game
Game Over

and crash...

please SY's here my plea and find out what its doing! This is worse than not having it all!

aGorm
Aggressor

Post by Aggressor »

Exactly the same problem here.

Would DirectX info be useful to you anyhow?
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I knopw it use's Open Gl so i would doubt that it would help unless it was a sound problem (i think it still uses direct sound...) However i doubt this is a sound card problem.
The engin itself definatly runs, because i can see the terain, the camera actully moves to some point on the screen (i assume the start poss...) and the map is up and the consoul box, so it must be a problem when trying to place down the comanders (or units in the scrips that u can watch). What u think SY's?

aGorm
SJ

Post by SJ »

Well the best thing you can do for us to be able to debug is to send in a crash report via the crash report interface that should popup.

If it doesnt popup its probably not really crashing but exiting for some other reason. (if you start a game via the lobby with only yourself in there will only be one team and the game will quite correctly say that the game is over)
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Ah ha, well, thats the problem. It pop's up. And then it trys to use outlook to send you the error report. Only it dosn't seem to like that. Can you tell me if theres somewhere i can get at those files it sends you and send them manuly? Does it dump them anywhere? I realy want to help yyou guys get this fixed as several people have this and its the least explanable error here.

aGorm
SJ

Post by SJ »

Well use the save option and then use the submit file interface above.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

OK, ull have to wait a bit, I'm in work but when i get in ill be sending it straight your way!

aGorm
Mars Keeper

Post by Mars Keeper »

We need a solution to this problem, same thing goes for me.
JeeZ
Site Admin

Post by JeeZ »

Are you guys using the regular/small install or one of the others?

If you're not using the regular/small install you could always try that and see if it helps.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I am using the full install, with all the content, i was also going to set up on for just plane old TA... but that wont work till i wxported the bitmaps from the gafs...

:( poor us

aGorm
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

You shouldn't worry about extracting bitmaps from GAFs if you have the full install. The textures should already be in the unittextures folder. You'll just need the palette file from the XTA archive, after that you can delete it, and copy over the OTA archives. It'll work. For singleplayer, at least.
JeeZ
Site Admin

Post by JeeZ »

Ok, I got the problem you are describing above on my computer at work, which has a integrated Intel graphics card.

After updating the drivers everything worked.

I guess most of you already have updated drivers, but if you haven't - go get them now! :-)

Which graphics cards do you have and on what operating system?
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Well, my the exact spec is...

AMD athelon Barton 3200+
1 Gig of DDR Ram
A Geforce 6800 GT

Windows XP Professional SP2

Now... that should be able to pump out Spring with no problems... with MAx graphics and all. I doubt im under the minimum requirements with that!

aGorm
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Windows XP SP2... I encountered the same problem on all XP SP2 machines, the engine fires up fine, and then crashes when it tries to load units.
Liam

Post by Liam »

i've got pro sp2 and it works fine(ish ;)) for me

Return to “Help & Bugs”