A few problems

A few problems

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

ShadowDragon

A few problems

Post by ShadowDragon »

Hey ho,
I played spring a long time ago but forget it for a few years. But a week ago YouTube showed me a BA video and I donwloaded the spring lobby again.
Now I have a few problems, first I wanted to play mostly in singeplayer. I downloaded BA 10.24, but the client is not able to download the engine. It says every time that there is nothing to download.
The AI seem so crash the game from time to time, I play with an older BA version BA9.46.

Sooo my questions are as follows:
1. Is there a better client for playing? Nothing against the spring client but ... it is not so good in my opinion. It craches, it doesn´t download many things, it looks not really good and so on.

2. If I want to play the newest BA version how can I download the engine for that?

3. If I need to play the older BA version, which AI is the best? Is it possible to download more AIs? Are they up to date?

Excuse my absolut noob questions. Would be very nice to get help.
MasterBel

Re: A few problems

Post by MasterBel »

ShadowDragon wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 18:01 Hey ho,
I played spring a long time ago but forget it for a few years. But a week ago YouTube showed me a BA video and I donwloaded the spring lobby again.
Now I have a few problems, first I wanted to play mostly in singeplayer. I downloaded BA 10.24, but the client is not able to download the engine. It says every time that there is nothing to download.
BA hosts haven't been updated for a while. I'd strongly suspect that the engine version is no longer available to download simply because it's too old. BA was following the bleeding-edge of engine development, which because a new engine build was released every other day, older (non-major) versions had to be removed. Then BA suddenly stopped being developed, and

There's an (unendorsed) offshoot server running a legacy version of BA at springfightclub.com:8200, where you are significantly more likely to find a game. Connect there instead if you wish to play. I believe development efforts are starting again over there which should hopefully start to bring the UI experience up to the standard set by BA 10.24.
ShadowDragon wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 18:01 1. Is there a better client for playing? Nothing against the spring client but ... it is not so good in my opinion. It craches, it doesn´t download many things, it looks not really good and so on.
Unfortunately, no. I'm working on a lobby client myself, but it won't be ready for any sort of use for a long while yet.
ShadowDragon wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 18:01 3. If I need to play the older BA version, which AI is the best? Is it possible to download more AIs? Are they up to date?
KAIK, RAI, or Shard may work for BA 9.46. This is somewhat outdated knowledge, though. IIrc, Shard crashes on larger maps if you let it alone for too long, because of poor memory management. Other than that, it's the best of the three. If you go to BA 10.11 (the newest that still runs on Engine 103.0) "DAI" is the best by far.

~MasterBel2
ShadowDragon

Post by ShadowDragon »

Thanks for your answer.
The engine BA 10.24 need is Spring v104.0.1-969-ga0e1218 maintenance I could not find this version anywere. It makes in my opinion no sense to use a maintenace version for a game. But I dont want to judge without more knowlege.
I see a "Common" and a "Metal" server with BA 10.24 in the battelist. If this engine version was deleted, how can they play? Or would it be possible to get it from anyone?

Hm I have no idea how to to this.

That´s sad, I tried ZeroK and liked the game, but could not find a waay to play a different game. Other clients for example NOTA and Evolution RTS crashed when I tried other games.

Is there any BA version which works with spring 104?
Thanks fo this tip, I will download this version from springfiles.
DAI? Okay, I will try it. Thanks :)
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

BA upgraded to 104 at version 10.0. I'm not sure when they raised the requirements above 104.
I see a "Common" and a "Metal" server with BA 10.24 in the battelist. If this engine version was deleted, how can they play? Or would it be possible to get it from anyone?
Some people have already downloaded that engine version. I'm not sure if those hosts are still maintained. The people who were supporting BA 10 are working on a new project, and no one took their place.
ShadowDragon

Post by ShadowDragon »

So, but you said BA 10.11 uses spring 103. Is it possible to play this version of BA with 103 or with 104?

Hm, that makes sense.
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

BA 11 is compatible with both Spring 103 and Spring 104.
ShadowDragon

Post by ShadowDragon »

That is cool. Thanks :D
ShadowDragon

Post by ShadowDragon »

I thought is it not necessary to start a new thread. I would like to ask where Spring saves some of the downloaded games. In the game folder are some of the games, but not all of which I downloaded. Spring 1944, BA 10.24 and XTA for example. Why are some of the games placed in this folder, but others not?
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Because some are downloaded via rapid and do not exist as plain archives https://springrts.com/wiki/Rapid
ShadowDragon

Post by ShadowDragon »

Hm okay, is it somehow possible to delete games with this? BA 10.24 doesn´t work without the right engine, but this engine was deleted, so its not possible to download. And it makes no sense to have multiple unnecessary versions of the same mod in my opinion.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Not yet, no.
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

Technically yes… delete the …/pool/ and …/rapid/ directories. Maybe also …/packages/

The …/ stands for ~/.spring/ on unix systems. I don't know about Windows.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

MasterBel wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 02:29 Technically yes… delete the …/pool/ and …/rapid/ directories. Maybe also …/packages/

Only pool/ and packages/ are relevant, rapid/ is just a cache for what is available (local? and remote).
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

ThinkSome wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 20:53
MasterBel wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 02:29 Technically yes… delete the …/pool/ and …/rapid/ directories. Maybe also …/packages/

Only pool/ and packages/ are relevant, rapid/ is just a cache for what is available (local? and remote).
It may be gremlins, but a couple times deleting rapid/ seemed to help. I wouldn't have a clue how, though.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

It did help, there was (is?) an issue where refreshing the archives upon joining a room running on a freshly baked git commit does not make that commit available.

Return to “Help & Bugs”