Timeout after taking a screenshot?

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Cyberwal

Post by Cyberwal »

This happened twice to me now: I press F12 for screenshots and somehow my WHOLE system comes to a halt, I can hear the HDD working and working.. and when the game is finally back after about 10 seconds or so,

I can't control any of my units or write any messages (they don't get sent when I press enter). I still can see what is happening in the game and I can read messages other people write, but my units react as if I am a spectator in a game someone else plays :S

Is this a timeout problem? And why does taking a screenshot cause this?
Last edited by Cyberwal on 18 Feb 2006, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I've seen this effect after issueing too many simultaneouse build orders (aka a line of Dragons Teeth spanning the whole map)... so if that helps people figure out what's causing the effect it would be nice...
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

its very funny cuz it does the same thing to me, but ive noticed that the second shot that i take in that game runs pretty ok with no delay, it must be some sort of initializing something i guess
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

huh, I've never had that happen from taking screenshots, but....
SinbadEV wrote:I've seen this effect after issueing too many simultaneouse build orders (aka a line of Dragons Teeth spanning the whole map)... so if that helps people figure out what's causing the effect it would be nice...
I used to get this a lot. Try not to queu (qeue?) up 50 buildings at once. Make it a habit to do them in blocks of 30 maximum at a time.
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

FizWizz wrote:huh, I've never had that happen from taking screenshots, but....
SinbadEV wrote:I've seen this effect after issueing too many simultaneouse build orders (aka a line of Dragons Teeth spanning the whole map)... so if that helps people figure out what's causing the effect it would be nice...
I used to get this a lot. Try not to queu (qeue?) up 50 buildings at once. Make it a habit to do them in blocks of 30 maximum at a time.
maybe it has never happened to you because you have a very good computer (i suppose).
Cyberwal

Post by Cyberwal »

It never happened because of queueing, but twice now because of taking a screenshot and nothing (not even taking another one :P) fixes it, I usually have to exit the game.

My system is an AXP2400+ with a 6600 GT and 1GB dualchannel RAM, not very good but it should be enough to play Spring I think. I got about ~550 screenshots in my folder, moving them to another location to see if maybe that's causing it...
Last edited by Cyberwal on 18 Feb 2006, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

During AI Testing I'd attempt to take a screenshot fo NTAI untis engaging another AI say OTAI or KAI and it'd crash instantly on f12 and give the spring ahs crashed error box, or the debugger would start spewing out errors sayign that there's no code to display for the error so ti definately wasnt an AI error.
knorke

Post by knorke »

I have the same problem.
Delete your old screenshots or move them into another folder. It seems as if Spring has to check how many screenshots are already there so it can name them correctly. ("screen312.jpg", "screen 313.jpg",...")
Cyberwal

Post by Cyberwal »

Yeah I figured as much, 550 screenshots were a bit much maybe.. So from now on I sort them out and move them into chronologically named folders

Return to “Help & Bugs”