error 1004, or 10004 , game crashes randomely.

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Journier

Post by Journier »

with latest version of spring, 0.67b3.

its happened 5 or so times now.

out of 20 or 25 games.

while hosting a 2v2, for no obvious reason game will give this error, and game crashes.

and it has happened within 30 seconds of game start, and after a game has been going for an hour before.

Also when this happens, my internet is seemingly shutdown... until i close the spring client.

when i close the spring battle room client, then my net seems to come back to life?

very weird its error 1004, or 10004 forget which it was. to many zero's :)

I have 56k internet, a pentium 4 hyperthreading 3.0 ghz processor. 1 gig ram.

an geforce ti 4200 vid card.

thanks for any help or help that i can give you guys to help solve this problem?
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

what mod were u running ?
Journier

Post by Journier »

XTA sorry, forgot to say that !

whatever version of xta comes with this version of TA spring.

think .066?

edit yes version .66 of xta version that came with the version of the game above
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

Journier wrote:XTA sorry, forgot to say that !

whatever version of xta comes with this version of TA spring.

think .066?

edit yes version .66 of xta version that came with the version of the game above
try to describe what was happening when it crashed otherwise its impossible to know what may have caused it
Journier

Post by Journier »

hmm like i said its been random i believe?

the game that it crashed in the beginning, I was half way into building my 2nd metal mine..

this always happened on small divide map.

Ill make sure to keep an eye out when it happens next time and write down what all my units were doing.

that will probably help you more than me guessing.
Andrew_Jay

Post by Andrew_Jay »

It's 10004

I get the exact same error every single time I play onlilne. Sometimes I manage to go a while without it crashing, sometimes it happens early on in a game.

As far as I can tell, it is quite random - or at least does not have anything to do with what you are doing in the game itself. A quick google search reveals that it is a winsock error dealing with an interupted call:
Question/Problem: Interrupted function call.

Answer/Solution: A blocking operation was interrupted by a call to WSACancelBlockingCall. An asynchronous signal (such as SIGINT or SIGQUIT) was caught by the process during the execution of an interruptible function. If the signal handler performs a normal return, the interrupted function call will seem to have returned the error condition.

Developer suggestions: You need to be prepared to handle this error on any functions that reference blocking sockets, or any calls to blocking functions, if you allow the user to cancel a blocking call. Whether to handle it as a fatal error or non-fatal error depends on the application and the context, so it's up to you to decide.
From: http://support.ipswitch.com/kb/WSK-19980714-EM08.htm
mother

Post by mother »

Andrew_Jay wrote:It's 10004

I get the exact same error every single time I play onlilne.
Are you also trying to play on a dialup connection?
Andrew_Jay

Post by Andrew_Jay »

Nope, cable connection - though it is through a wireless router.
mother

Post by mother »

Woo... Did a little research into that WSACancelBlockingCall function...

What operating system are you two using???

And if Zaphod sees this: Is it possible that Spring is using v1 windows sockets?
Andrew_Jay

Post by Andrew_Jay »

XP - that's what confused me too, because most of the links I look at refer to this being fixed by later versions.
Journier

Post by Journier »

Windows xp also. Service pack 2 i believe.

have all the latest updates.

wow you guys rock for searching out whats causing the error. nicely done!

hopefully you nail it down.

the error only hit me 1 time since i made my last post.

truelly is random
smokingwreckage

Post by smokingwreckage »

I play over a 26K connection, so I tend to think modem speed is not his problem.
R1CH

Post by R1CH »

10004 shouldn't happen at all with modern 32 bit apps (no developer in their right mind would use WSACancelBlockingCall) and is usually caused by 3rd party winsocks LSPs and other nasty things (spyware, viruses).
Journier

Post by Journier »

Guys, i think i have found the cause of my problems.

TRILLIAN.

having it open while playing this game causing the game to error 10004.

it happened 2 times in a row, then i shutdown trillian, and tada no error 10004...

Does the other person have trillian? or any instant messenger possibly? try keeping them closed and see what happens?

hope im aiming at the right direction.
Journier

Post by Journier »

ok guys, well its not trillian causing the problem :/

AND

I really cant believe its spyware.

why? I have all kinds of anti spyware programs on my computer now.
AdAware SE personal, Spybot- Search and destroy, Super Utilities version of anti spyware,

Then spyware blaster.

Then i have a couple anti virus programs also running to find anything.

So far i havent been able to find a way to fix this problem , and dont see whats causing it, other than a problem that may lie somewhere else than my computer.

Any more information would be appreciated

thanks,
guys.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Perhaps all these programs running at the same time are conflicting with each other and are shutting Spring down? Running that many Spyware/Virus programs cannot be good. Usually one is enough, two if your paranoied.
Journier

Post by Journier »

I got the spy ware programs after i started getting error 10004, since one of you said it was probably spyware on my computer.

and they arent running while im playing, i run them 5 minutes before i start to play.

NOT to mention no other multi player game causes me to get error 10004.

Ive been hosting 4v4-5v5 now, and it really is random. and annoying :(

yes im 56k and i can host 4v4-5v5, with no lag.

you guys have really decent GOOD CODE for 56k users or something!

but something is wrong with it possibly? i dont know wtf is going on it really screws my enjoyment of hosting :(

for example, i hosted 4- 4v4's in a row, then error 10004 hit my last game, so i rehosted, it hit me again 20 minutes in. so then i said im done hosting.

Go to host yesterday, error 10004, hit my first game of the night 25 minutes into the game.

its really annoying, im about to just format my entire hard drive, just for TA-Spring, but i have a feeling thats not gonna effect anything.
Journier

Post by Journier »

so is this problem, possibly due to my hardware?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Ungh, can't believe I'm helping you of all ppl.

Ok first of all posting your system specs would help a lot.

Second, here is an idea for you. Shut down every program in the taskbar and see if that stops it. Next try setting your packet size smaller.

You could try to get ahold of your ISP to see if anyone else is having this problem and has called about it.

Something that prolly won't help is to try to use a "Stay Alive" type of program that pings a particular website / ipaddress every 10 seconds to make sure your connection doesn't time out, but it's worth a shot.

And ultimately, you're on 56k playing a game that hasn't been fully developed yet, so don't be too suprised.

Also, try redownloading and reinstalling and see if that makes a difference.
Journier

Post by Journier »

my system specs are on post #1

i have tried shutting down every program in task bar to no success, thinking it would shutdown the affecting program or somethnig.

but as i said above, im using many other games, that enver give me any error codes at all, but never a error 10004 :/

im going to do a full format and reinstall of windows xp this weekend maybe, and see if that changes anything.

edit

Also, i did a uninstall and reinstall of spring, that doesnt affect anything.

I was also told to try to change my host settings to "hole punching" instead of the default.

that lead to the same problem no difference.

!!!!! i havent tried the stay alive program before, i am downloading that right now.

hmm maybe the stay alive program does something. ill check that later tonight.

ALSO, i have tried many different mods, since i was told it could be just the mods ive been trying, well every new mod ive downloaded still gives this error randomely. :/

hmm, atliest im sorta giving a good basic tuturial on what not to do to solve this problem.

Return to “Help & Bugs”