Isolated installs

Isolated installs

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Silentwings

Isolated installs

Post by Silentwings »

klapmongool wrote:Is spring truly portable yet?
Yes, but iirc what you are looking for is a Spring that lives in a single directory, what you want is called 'isolated'. https://github.com/spring/spring/blob/d ... 6.txt#L201
klapmongool

Isolated/Portable installs

Post by klapmongool »

Silentwings wrote:
Is spring truly portable yet?
Yes, but what you want is called 'isolated'. https://github.com/spring/spring/blob/d ... 6.txt#L201
Ah, thx. Does it also save maps as a single map file then? Perhaps in something like spring\maps?
Silentwings

Re: PrincessHosts: rules & info

Post by Silentwings »

Does it also save maps as a single map file then?
As far as I know, maps are always saved as individual files. (Games downloaded via rapid will be broken into pieces).
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Silentwings wrote:
Does it also save maps as a single map file then?
As far as I know, maps are always saved as individual files. (Games downloaded via rapid will be broken into pieces).
Not sure anymore, is some years(?) back. Couldn't locate maps that I downloaded via rapid then.

Even though this is getting horribly off topic: I downloaded the portable version of springrts.com, which is actually a springlobby install. That doesnt have spring exes so nowhere to put that isolated.txt. Installing the engine via springlobby created a new dir in \mygames\. I guess I still want a truly portable spring (install into directory and it stays in that directory).

edit: or just don't provide a portable version which isnt portable.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

don't provide a portable version which isnt ...
As said, your terminology is wrong. The portable version is portable (-> can be used from a USB stick) and the isolated version is isolated (-> uses only one directory). They are not the same thing - it seems you are downloading something marked "portable" and then complaining it isn't isolated.

Also, as you can see above, the page I referred you to is the Spring manpage and has no relation to lobbies. The isolated environment applies to Spring.exe only and will (probably) be ignored by any lobby you decide install.

There is no pre-packaged isolated install. To obtain an isolated engine, simply download an engine-only install from https://springrts.com/dl/buildbot/default/master/103.0/, unzip into an empty dir and then insert your own isolated.txt.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Silentwings wrote:
don't provide a portable version which isnt ...
As said, your terminology is wrong. The portable version is portable (-> can be used from a USB stick) and the isolated version is isolated (-> uses only one directory). They are not the same thing - it seems you are downloading something marked "portable" and then complaining it isn't isolated.

Also, as you can see above, the page I referred you to is the Spring manpage and has no relation to lobbies. The isolated environment applies to Spring.exe only and will (probably) be ignored by any lobby you decide install.

There is no pre-packaged isolated install. To obtain an isolated engine, simply download an engine-only install from https://springrts.com/dl/buildbot/default/master/103.0/, unzip into an empty dir and then insert your own isolated.txt.
Thx. I'm sorry I used the wrong terminology. I'll try this solution later.

protip for SpringLobby maintainer; make the install path of a rapid downloaded engine for the portable SL download the dir where SL is installed and include an isolated.txt. That way the install will be actually portable (instead of having a portable SL install without engine, games or maps).

Return to “Help & Bugs”