Advance Wait Commands Don’t Work Anymore

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Bartosh

Post by Bartosh »

Been awhile since i played ol spring and apparently at some point all the advance wait key-binds , the /bind ones
squadwait and gatherwait
stopped working

now the units get to those points and just are issued a regular wait order and don't add to the points queue of units.

what up with that?
Jools
XTA Developer

Re: Advance Wait Commands Don’t Work Anymore

Post by Jools »

I think there are only a handful of people who have ever used those commands, and that they therefore have fallen into oblivion. To be honest, I can't tell if they don't work because I didn't configure them right, or if they just don't work. I managed to get the gathermode symbol by typing /gathermode, but just as you say, it doesn't seem to do anything.

I have a faint recollection that I sometimes used the squadwait and timewait commands to schedule a suicide invader going into enemy base. I don't know how to do that anymore.

I guess the standard response nowadays would be that the behaviour can be lua'd. I mean it would not be hard to make a widget that replicates the same behaviour.
Bartosh

Post by Bartosh »

That's a shame. I think the only reason people never used them was that you had to bind them manually. There actual extremely useful if you do use them.
having automatic army's constantly going to keep pressure on your opponent, and supper helpful with troop transports....

And it was fun if you and your opponent use them , you end up having a game that felt like a real war-zone, with front lines and such.

Oh well... any idea if someone has a widget or whatever already?
If not, anybody know what was the last version of the spring engine that they worked in was?

p.s. the way it used to work was you put in chat:
/bind shift+k squadwait
then when you were queuing up units from a factory, the would wait until X amount were there to before continuing.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Yes well k is cloak, and almost every button is nowadays bound to something. Not sure if you have to first unbind them...

My response btw is not any official response, I was just speculating. But I think most people that are reading the forum now have no idea about those commands or what we're even talking about. I mean, it might not be difficult to fix those in the engine either. It's just that I guess about 2-3 people are interested in them.

And yes, the problem with using them was actually binding them. Much like using condoms and actually buying them :)
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Nothing in changelog about removing them, so my guess is it's the changes to binding in 97.0 ( https://github.com/spring/spring/blob/d ... g.txt#L538 ) or they are just broken. :(
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

AFAIK they should still work.

All of them are implemented as hidden commands, but have no default bindings (in the engine or uikeys) so that seems the most likely issue.
8611z

Post by 8611z »

spring 100, BA9.28:
Type: /bind u timewait
Queue up orders to units, so that they will move around for a while.
Select units, press your hotkey "u": a retro-styled slider appears. Movse mouse to set the delay in seconds, left-click to confirm.
The units stop, a countdown appears above. When countdown is 0 the units continue their orders.

The other commands all still seem to do something too but I never could make sense of them.
How excactly to use them?
Just for sake of mentioning it, there is some text at https://springrts.com/wiki/Balanced_Ann ... d_Commands but i t is sparse.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Here is some more info but not much:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7906&p=140784&hili ... it#p140784
Bartosh

Post by Bartosh »

I was playing around and timewait kinda works, except if a unit gets pushed too far away from the point by other units going to that point, in which case it switches over to the default wait until w is pressed thing.

This leads me to think that something changed with how ranges are found from waypoint positions, and that the units are actually adding to the points, but the check distance is extremely small, and has some sort of fall back to wait in its function if there not within x range.

Return to “Help & Bugs”