Can't load BA mod from lobby despite sd7 file in folder

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

After a long hiatus, I have returned to Spring. However, it seems that I can't load the balanced annhilation mod. I'm running Ubuntu 14.04, Spring .96, and just downloaded BA v .99 from the lobby (.169). Despite the successful download, there is no option to select BA from the selector list in the lobby.

So then I looked in the /.config/spring/games folder, and sure enough, the sd7 file is sitting right there. I then downloaded the sd7 file from the BA website and overwrote the one I downloaded from the lobby. No change.

Curiously enough, I downloaded Spring 1944 and can play that just fine, however, there is no 1944 sd7 file in the game directory. Hm.

Is spring storing this stuff somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.
Jools
XTA Developer

Re: Can't load BA mod from lobby despite sd7 file in folder

Post by Jools »

Yes, look in your my documents/my games folder maybe. It's annoying, I know.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

You could consider removing and then downloading portable spring.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Spring uses both sd7 and (more commonly now, for non-developers) a "pool" where it can incrementally update games without redownloading hundreds of Mb. This is maybe why you have no obvious S44 file.

Your statement "So then I looked in the /.config/spring/games folder, and sure enough, the sd7 file is sitting right there. I then downloaded the sd7 file from the BA website and overwrote the one I downloaded from the lobby" is impossible because (1) games are sdz files (not sd7 files, which are maps) and (2) the lobby does not download a sdz file for BA - unless something has gone wrong, it will download BA into its pool.

Perhaps when you downloaded manually you have given your BA download the wrong file extension? (In which case Spring might not recognize it.)

Also, your lobby version is far out of date (latest is 0.195) - I'd recommend updating in case your version is old that its using a different folder structure to what spring is expecting. With an up to date lobby, just joining any BA game should give you the option to auto-dl BA into where Spring will recognize it.

If you really want to do manual downloads, Springs datadir structure is explained on http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30044.

[@Jools, he is on linux.]
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Silentwings wrote:(1) games are sdz files (not sd7 files, which are maps)
No.

Games can be sdz, sd7, sdd, and that weird pool thing.
Maps can be sdz, sd7, sdd, and that weird pool thing.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

sdz means the files is really a .zip, but renamed to .sdz. .sd7 means it's .7z, but renamed to .sd7.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Games can be sdz, sd7, sdd, and that weird pool thing. Maps can be sdz, sd7, sdd, and that weird pool thing.
Although Spring will treat all archives equally, in practice my statement above is correct.

except for a few very old maps that are sdz, etc, etc
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

BA v .99 from the lobby (.169)
update springlobby, current version is 0.195, dl there (should) work fine.
if you want to find/fix the problem yourself, look into infolog.txt (very likely ~/.config/spring/infolog.txt), this should give a hint whats wrong.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Blast. I just used the Ubuntu Software Center to install Spring, and didn't check to see if every little bit was the most current version. Isn't that supposed to be the advantage of using the Software Center? Sigh. I'll redo all of this and re-post when I get a chance. Thanks for the replies.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

IMO http://springrts.com/wiki/Download should have a sentence "Do NOT use packages provided by your Linux distribution - they are outdated! Please install the package repositories as described in the Linux Setup guide.

I think the static binaries should be listed below the link to the Linux Setup guide, because if new users download them, they won't get a lobby and will be confused.

Return to “Help & Bugs”