spring 95 has no MT anymore

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

HectorMeyer

Post by HectorMeyer »

Is there any other way of restoring performance than going back to 94? What are the plans for the future of BA?
Silentwings

Re: spring 95 has no MT anymore

Post by Silentwings »

What are the plans for the future of BA?
BA:R (see http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30537) and the creation of singleplayer campaign/missions are the major plans for the future of BA.
Is there any other way of ...
When I put it through my usual stress testing 95.0 (which uses c++11 threadpools) actually did better that both 94.0/1 versions, but of course it will vary.

In general you can increase perf by using lower gfx settings in spring.exe -> edit settings (http://springrts.com/wiki/Springsettings.cfg). Make sure you haven't installed your new spring over the top of old (never do this, see http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31136 if you did).
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Maybe with a new spring version the logging was reset to be synced? I don't remember the variables name, but that may make systems lag.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Silentwings wrote: When I put it through my usual stress testing 95.0 (which uses c++11 threadpools) actually did better that both 94.0/1 versions, but of course it will vary.
Oh nice, some stress testing benchmark facts are welcome. So your view is that 95 is generally performing better and people having performance problems most likely are suffering from bad spring installations?
Silentwings wrote: In general you can increase perf by using lower gfx settings in spring.exe -> edit settings (http://springrts.com/wiki/Springsettings.cfg).
Also if that does not help then you could upgrade your CPU and/or GPU to increase your ingame FPS rate.
Silentwings wrote: Make sure you haven't installed your new spring over the top of old (never do this, see http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31136 if you did).
I let the spring installer upgrade my previous installation and I am experiencing bad performance. I followed the advice above to do a complete clean install of spring but it didnt change anything. As soon as I put my usual config back in place in the new installation I had the same bad performance.

Is that rule "never upgrade an existing spring installation" an official advice from the devs or where does it come from? You know, usually other software out there is able to properly update itself without having to manually completely wipe the old installation before and users expect it to do so. So if it is really an official rule then a big message box saying that when you start the installer would be needed I guess. How can the average joe know about it otherwise?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

So your view is that...
Several people had problems caused by lack of clean install issues. Yes my impression is that 95.0 is generally performing better but as I said above, I'd expect variation for different systems.
Is that rule ... from the devs or where does it come from?
Came from reading http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... +structure and the fact that it had already helped several people fix their configs.

Afaik the installer does nothing to get rid any files from old installs that should not be present in new installs. Thats what the uninstaller does. I don't set up the installer and if you want it changed/explained I'm the wrong person to ask; I'm just helping people fix their issues.
very_bad_soldier

I guess at some point we need to distinguish between different problems and distinguish different solutions accordingly.

Spring using not the settings file that users thought it would is one thing. Spring having bad performance is another. I dont see how these are connected currently.

So telling people to do a clean reinstall when experiencing bad performance might be a bad advise since it wont help them and increases confusion. At least according to my experience.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I dont see how these are connected currently.
E.g. Some people 'lost' their old settings but their old settings contained gfx driver related fixes.
Last edited by Silentwings on 09 Nov 2013, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
very_bad_soldier

Silentwings wrote:
I dont see how these are connected currently.
E.g. Some people 'lost' their old settings but their old settings contained gfx related fixes.
I am about the problem that performance is bad even when using the same config as before. Using a wrong config is another problem.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Spring using not the settings file that users thought it would is one thing. Spring having bad performance is another.
E.g. Some people 'lost' their old settings but their old settings contained gfx driver related fixes.
The possibility for a connection seems clear there to me; also for some people (as you say, not you) it happened.

In fact the reason for that suggestion to HectorMayer was that in some cases installing 95 over the top of 94 results in a situation where the average user would likely edit the wrong config file.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Make sure you have LogFlush=0
also http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/6041?postID=72974
But luckily it turned out performance could be restored by disabling AllowDeferredMapRendering and AllowDeferredModelRendering in springsettings.cfg.
(not tested myself, my fps seemed to went up anyway with 95..maybe because my gfx card does not support so fancy things)
albator

Post by albator »

But luckily it turned out performance could be restored by disabling AllowDeferredMapRendering and AllowDeferredModelRendering in springsettings.cfg.

It does is quite an improvement for me but still had more fps with old spring-multitheads.

Also, my low performance with simple spring 95 binary are similar to simple spring 94 binary

spring-multithead 94 stays on top. Hopefully, spring-multithead 95 can be fixed and releases soon.
NeonStorm

Post by NeonStorm »

What does the "EnableUnsafeAndBrokenMT" option do?

Return to “Help & Bugs”