FPS issues, stutter

FPS issues, stutter

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

==Troy==

FPS issues, stutter

Post by ==Troy== »

Hi guys, been a while since I have played spring and recently decided to reinstall it.

A few issues that I cannot seem to resolve :

1) Cannot disable high-res clouds in spring settings (it turns on after spring lobby restart).

2) The main issue, the FPS seems to be drastically lower than when I used to play the game before.

With all of the settings set at lowest, I tend to get around 120-140 fps without any units on the field, but that drops immediately down to 30-40 after 8v8 game start, and down to 4fps about 10 minutes into the game. The game also seems to stutter slightly from time to time, and at times it simply freezes for half a second.

I used to play 8v8 games regularly before, and FPS never got below 20 at 40 minutes DSD (with flea spam and everything else).

The only change that I did on my side really (apart from playing a new version of spring) is that I am playing it on Windows and not on Linux atm (although I did update drivers/etc).

HW specs :

2.4Ghz Core2Duo
8600 GTM (overclocked by about 35%, makes no difference)
4GB DDR2 RAM

Any suggestions are welcome, I am still trying to compile SL on linux to test it out there, which may give better results I hope.
Beherith

Re: FPS issues, stutter

Post by Beherith »

You disabled all the gfx options? Shadows. Disable texture compression possibly.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Yeah, everything is set to the lowest I could think of and I am still having the issue. (Texture compression is OFF)
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

This is with BA, right?
Start disabling widgets :(
Also do /advmapshading 0
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Any way to kill all lua entirely? And yes, it is BA... I already disabled some camera widgets which improved the performance, but not by much.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

/luai disable
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Makes some difference, but not much with full lua disabled.

What I found so far, is that I get most stutter and lag after this :

1) Zoom at medium ranges (sort of between 30-70 zoom, where 0 is fully zoomed in, and 100 fully zoomed out) I instantly get microstutter and generally the game starts to slow down, even with very few units on the field (changing the terrain LOD has little effect)

2) Scrolling to some part of the map feels stuttery as well, i.e. on some maps, the bottom half would be fairly smooth, but if I scroll to the top half, it would stutter considerably at any zoom level (not sure about 0-20 range, but works for 40-100)

3) Killing and starting the spring again can have seriously weird effects as well, where the FPS would drop to about 50% of the original (this is while people are selecting the start pos) but this one is not regular.

All in all weird stuff is going on. I am still trying to compile SL on linux, so I should have a better idea if this is just a screwed up windows driver or something else.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Do you also have a integrated gfx? Maybe the wrong one gets used by spring? You could check in infolog.txt. Post that one (on pastbin) anyway.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

No, I do not have integrated gfx (fortunately). It is an old system, and I do not expect it to have brilliant fps, but what I experience now is clearly well below the expectation :)

Also I can see it use the gfx, as it changes to the higher frequencies when the game starts.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

You can try turning off ROAM, (even though roam is faster generally), with /roam 0.
stuttering on scroll if often because you dont have enough vram to hold the entire map, so it swaps tiles in and out.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Troy, if you would, can you load up EvoRTS and let me know how performance is for you? I semi-recently went on an optimization craze and optimized the living shit out of the game. This because I am on decidedly high end hardware and was getting shitty performance (not just evo, but all spring games). I increased my fps under load in evo by 250%(ish).

Assuming you have slightly lower end hardware, I'd really like to know how it performs for you.

If you don't wanna be bothered, no worries, no big deal :-)

WRT springsettings, give these settings profiles a shot: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B25BbZx ... sp=sharing

Just replace your springsettings content with whichever one is appropriate. It should give you a pretty big performance increase over the default settings.

Medium settings should do pretty well on most medium -> low end hardware.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

I would say you have a gfx driver problem, your issue resembles the problem with "threaded optimizations" that existed in nvidia drivers.

However, you should benchmark your system to verify that the GPU and CPU perform like they should. Old systems can overheat and become slow due to trapped dust, dried thermal paste and many other reasons.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

zerver wrote:I would say you have a gfx driver problem, your issue resembles the problem with "threaded optimizations" that existed in nvidia drivers.

However, you should benchmark your system to verify that the GPU and CPU perform like they should. Old systems can overheat and become slow due to trapped dust, dried thermal paste and many other reasons.

Thanks! disabling the threading has fixed the issue (or made it much better than what it was before, I still experience terrible slow down once every while, but to a much lesser extent). Still coudlnt get a lobby working on linux.

As for the heating regard, I am well aware of the temps and clocks (as well as when it throttles) and I am sure it is not the cause in this case.
Pizzi1

Post by Pizzi1 »

hello, I have the same problem with the scroll (heavy stuttering)....
I disabled the thread optimization. Now scrolling is smooth but i see black textures, a minimap completely white and a white water too using bump mapping option.

I solved for textures (advmapshading = 0), and water (I chose basic water), but there remains open the problem of the minimap.
How i can fix it?

My hw:
CPU: amd fx6100
Video card: 9800 with 1GB
RAM: 8 GB
mother board asus: m5a88-v evo
knorke

Post by knorke »

google says your "m5a88-v evo" mainboard also has onboard graphic chip.
make sure it is really running on the "9800 with 1GB" and not using that one.

Return to “Help & Bugs”