in first-person, cannot attack enemies

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

quantumshard

Post by quantumshard »

I decided to play around in first person for the first time, jumped into a razorback and went stomping towards the enemy base. I more-or-less figured out the controls as I went along, but I found I couldn't actually fire my weapons at an enemy unit.

There's no other way to say it. I could move, turn, pivot. I could fire at the landscape, at wrecks, at random. But not directly at enemy units. I believe the green (targeting?) rings disappeared when I pointed the reticule at an enemy.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: in first-person, cannot attack enemies

Post by Forboding Angel »

Sorry to burst your bubble, but fps mode is nothing more than a gimmick.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

I agree it is stupid. It was bad already before, but now there are new bugs I guess. All restrictions wrt direction of fire should be removed imo, it should allow firing at allies too.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

There is a tag for that. Avoidfriendly true/false

by default it is true.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

im probably wrong but ba fps got 'some' restrictions coz of fps abuse. remember that unit wont shoot in fps even if u aim near ally units. fps kinda works, i use it for janus all the time.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

I know about the BA restrictions. My standpoint has always been that there is (or should be) no such thing as "FPS abuse". If weapons are too good at distance beyond their normal range, they should instead be fixed in the mod or engine so that they, similar to lasers, make much less damage, or suddenly become incredibly inaccurate.

In addition to this, there should be some kind of protection in the engine to make scripted (LUA automated) fake FPS-ing more difficult. Something like a 1 second delay from "start FPS mode" until you are allowed to start sending actual FPS commands, another similar delay after "end FPS mode" until you are allowed to resume issuing normal game commands.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Zerver, sometimes we moddev's use weapon tags for visuals. A perfect example would be falloffrate = 0.1 creates a very nice tracer, but it also gives the laser the ability to hit things far off in the distance if whatever shoots it is fps'ed.

In this case, the weapon is functioning exactly as it's told, but the engine gimmick is making it possible for people to cheat.
yourface

Post by yourface »

But I like fps mode, someone tell me how to enable the targeting or at least add something in the options to enable it for single player.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Its easy, you learn c++, spend three years venturing down into the forgotten codedungeons beneath the sourche - fix it and then after fighting some bugs return to be celebrated as working heroe, beeing a dev by now and all will be rejoicing and singing songs.

So your release is scheduled at the 20.april 2013, wow, i so cant wait for that. Brb, got to tell everybody - yourface is going to fix the fps-mode. Its on twitter by now- just look.

Springboothbabe wrote:"I admire your dedication, yourface."
GaryOak wrote:"I m gonna be first there, fixxing it way better than you."
Smoth wrote :"Its that Gundam Guy, he screwed up the FPS-mode."
Knorke wrote :" I fixxed it once, but considered it un-important, so i deleted the fixxed fork- and moved on to bigger and better things. Submission is for the weak."

come on yourface, marry me.

;D
yourface

Post by yourface »

Look, I wasn't looking for a sarcastic remark, I'm just asking if it is a simply problem that I can fix my self, or something that is a true bug that needs time.
knorke

Post by knorke »

sounds sarcastic but is the truth. there is no canTargetEnemies=true setting in the mod file if that was your question.
fixing it in the engine requires programming knowledge.
changing the mod might maybe be possible but a lot of work too.
basically the best bet is to wait make a bug report at http://springrts.com/mantis (there might be one already) and wait until it is fixed.
That might take a long time because it is not considered important.

in the meantime hold down the right mouse button in fps view to make all weapons auto target.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

You may be able to rewrite FPS mode in the unit script.

Camera control widget -> Synced gadget -> unit script piece rotations + force weapon emits.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

iddqd and idkfa are the best fixes
I dont know what ba is though. It sounds like a bug

Return to “Help & Bugs”