Shift+Esc to Quit - Page 3

Shift+Esc to Quit

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

JohannesH

Re: Shift+Esc to Quit

Post by JohannesH »

I didn't bother complaining when it was switched to esc only, but I was annoyed anyway

And theres tons of other games that don't use Esc for quitting, even if it's not shift-esc but alt+q or f10 or whatever.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

JohannesH wrote:I didn't bother complaining when it was switched to esc only, but I was annoyed anyway
You can configure it for you with the strangest key-combo you can think of, no problem. But a newbie has no idea where to look and how to do. This thread is about waht should be default.
JohannesH wrote: And theres tons of other games that don't use Esc for quitting, even if it's not shift-esc but alt+q or f10 or whatever.
Esc is not for quitting in the first place. It usually brings up an ingame menu (which allows you to quit and more).
Frankly, I can't imagine that there are tons of games (we speak of AAA rts games, right?) that do not follow this scheme. Would you mind to mention some kilos?
zerver wrote: Yes it cancels the current command. Particularly useful if you are drawing an area reclaim order or such, and suddenly change your mind and want to keep the previous command.
IMO mouse right-click is the far better cancel-command-key. For example try to cancel a build-row-command (issued by holding shift) by pressing Esc...
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

very_bad_soldier wrote: IMO mouse right-click is the far better cancel-command-key. For example try to cancel a build-row-command (issued by holding shift) by pressing Esc...
Well, that actually works. Shift+Alt is more of a problem, then you must make sure to release the Alt key before pressing Esc, at least on windows.
very_bad_soldier

I was more concerned about the flexibility of my fingers :wink:
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

very_bad_soldier wrote:Esc is not for quitting in the first place. It usually brings up an ingame menu (which allows you to quit and more).
Frankly, I can't imagine that there are tons of games (we speak of AAA rts games, right?) that do not follow this scheme. Would you mind to mention some kilos?
At least in Starcraft esc does nothing for example, don't remember other games atm one way or another
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I use escape all the time to cancel command etc..., I would prefer it didn't quit the game.

Why not just go back to F2 key to quit?
Sucky_Lord

Post by Sucky_Lord »

If your mouse has a right click capability, you dont need esc to cancel commands, so go back to Esc for exiting, much easier!

I do apologise to the minority who have purchased mice with no right button, it's nothing personal..
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

But Esc is much more universal, for me Escape key means:

* "say 'no' to stupid question window and close it",
* "cancel current command",
* or basicallly anything that takes me back to main screen.

Right click usually means open the context menu, I'm still confused by it so using escape is safer. I wish they could sell telephones with escape on them for closing current call too.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

yeah i think it would annoy more if it wasnt shift+esc since esc itself has multiple functions already, and if it lags etc. and i press esc twice, i end up in rage or click quit in accident...
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

I vote for ESC should bring menu. Double ESC (from game) means close ESC menu.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Here's a widget that uses ESC to deselect any selection or command.

PS: this widget also selects capture as order when pressing the "c" key if and only if commander is selected. Comment that part if you want it disabled.
Attachments
tp_keyfix.lua
Fix for C and ESC keys.
(959 Bytes) Downloaded 11 times
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

You should be shot for necroing this thread.
Floris

Post by Floris »

When it was esc I accidently quitted or resigned a few times aswell. The menu was there instantly and your mouse usually already somewhere in the center of the screen.

I'm happy with shift-esc...
but if you want to have esc again then add a fade-in effect, and while fading.. it would not listen to any user input but the esc key itself (to quit the menu)
This way you see what's happening and don't suddenly click menu-items.
very_bad_soldier

I thought it would be cool to move spring more towards the needs of newbie players and a bit away from the needs of hardcore players (hc-players should be free to configure spring in whatever way they like).
I personally have not problem with Shift-Esc cause Im used to it (I didnt manage to accidently quit spring with Esc though in the past).
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

Hobo Joe wrote:
zerver wrote:Yes it cancels the current command. Particularly useful if you are drawing an area reclaim order or such, and suddenly change your mind and want to keep the previous command.
Right click works too.
Partly. It fails when the dragging is done with the right mouse button in the first place. (E.g. place mouse over a feature and right-click-drag.)
se5a

Post by se5a »

the shift+esc doesnt annoy me so much as the reverse mouse wheel zoom.

it took me asking to figure out to put the number as a negitive for the zoom to flip it. and each time I re-install whaterver I've got to rememebr to go into spring settings and do it again.
Soul

Post by Soul »

I don't see what the problem is, keep shift-esc, the esc-key is very close to tilde.

And even if i have never accidently quited/resigned by mistake, then the window popping up blocks my veiw and commands, so i have been unable to micro units that are surrounding a com, or dancing a com that is surrounded by units.

Seriusly guys, safety first, be a shifter.

Return to “Help & Bugs”