Grrrrrr, dirty grrrr, evil grrrr, dam bug!

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

deadram

Post by deadram »

Ok... Evil battle client needs to fix these two bugs!

1) I never said your alloud to post what country i'm from! Let's just add spyware into TA spring, why not? It's already getting invasive enough! Better yet, why not post my credit card number? phone number, e-mail address, name? Why not, privacy is for sheep, right?

2) And what this about passwords being stored in clear text! Now I have to change my password on 5+ accounts! If this continues, I'm going to have to hack the server and steal other peoples info. I could make a killing in profit from all the info the battle client is storing! Makes you wonder what the developers are doing with this information.

3) WTF, for christ sake! Open source doesn't meen open fucking information. PGP is what open source is about, not spyware. Christ, TA spring is become a god dam M$ project!
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

1) Oh noes!!!!
Kuroneko

Post by Kuroneko »

Obviously you know nothing. Your IP, which is easily viewable by anyone who can read logs, is dependant upon which country you're in. Heck, you can get within several miles of the persons house if you have the IP. And it's impossible to keep your IP private, unless you want to use proxies.

Why do you have 5+ accounts with the same password? What personal information do you have stored? 'cause there really isn't any on the server.

nub. Be more than a ranting fool to prove your point.
deadram

Post by deadram »

[x] Allow my country to be show

Is that so fucking hard? btw, cleartext password? shit, at least use a ROT-4 or something simple like that, even simple weak encryption is better then clear text!
Kuroneko

Post by Kuroneko »

deadram wrote:[x] Allow my country to be show

Is that so fucking hard? btw, cleartext password? shit, at least use a ROT-4 or something simple like that, even simple weak encryption is better then clear text!
Why don't you just say that? And besides, if you're really concerned about someone invading your privacy...don't use the internet.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

well, obviousely ranting is a lot more fun :P
munch

Post by munch »

Kuroneko wrote:
deadram wrote:[x] Allow my country to be show

Why don't you just say that? And besides, if you're really concerned about someone invading your privacy...don't use the internet.
Or at least don't advertise on a public BB that you use a single password for all your accounts and that it may be sitting there waiting on a server for anybody who wants to have a crack at it.

Security breaches are often to do with quirks of human nature (such as the above) rather than lack of crypto.

A tip use at least two passwords: a secure one for personal stuff that you only use in systems which you trust and a non-secure one which you use for stuff that doesn't matter much.

Munch
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

Well, i agree storing plaintext passwords is bad style.

Shouldnt happen. Store a salted MD5 or something, but no plaintext.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Deadram has good points, just not good ways of expressing them.

There should be a box to say if you want your country displayed or not. Most people will check this im guessing, but for the paranoied amongst us that want to hide, then there is this option.

Passwords in 'cleartext' is a bad idea. Very bad. Encryption would be a very good idea. Infact, it is almost a requirement, what with all the hackers/viruses/spyware around that can so easily steal information (and im not being paranoied, it is easy). Any sort of encryption (even just changing A to B,H-I etc) would be good, just to make it that little bit harder.
deadram

Post by deadram »

Well, this was a rant, no two ways about it, so no hard feelings to the people who flamed me :D

As for that whole password thing... ummm, if you want to steal my lvl 2 MMORPG charactures, and you can actually guess my handle 0.o Don't do it, cause I'll get really really mad, and rant some more X.x And rot-9 or another none-standard rot on the char values is as easy as adding and subtracting. Even a 2 yearold could write a basic encryption algorithem. Be even better if you changed the rot number based on the last parsed char, ie: a,b,c = (a+9), (b+(a+9)), (c+(b+(a+9))). Keeping the "rot number" in a char would let the number over/underflow and stay within an acceptable value.

As for my IP broadcasting my location (or at least my ISPs HQ), ummm... that's like pointing out my phone number is my phone number... But displaying that information, for the world to see... well that's like having a bank that displays your balance to anyone who walks by. Sure, if I really wanted to know someones IP, i can check the logs from a game we just played... but tossing that information out in public, for the world to see, without explicitly asking for permission is, as far as I know, against the laws :P Hell, in canada ISPs arn't alloud to give IP connection logs out to the police! Now I think it's a really neat feature, but I don't understand why you force us to have it on.

If I remeber correctly, the last rant I had, was about "Guardian" showing up as a regular player, and sending "PMs", asking people to update thier client. After my rant, Guardian was fixed, and soon enough, we had an "Administrator" player going onto the battlenet server, telling people to download this "update". God only knows what the update did...

I guess what I'm saying, is as mundane as these comments seem, these are "bugs" that no commercial game makers would ever make, because it would cost them profits, and possibly court cases.
genblood

Post by genblood »

deadram,

BUGs ... :?: I don't think so ...

I would say they are features that should be fixed alittle...

The IP showing a flag where you come from isn't a major
issue. There should be a option not to display that info
to others ...

The cleartext issue should be resolved .... IMO its NOT
a BUG .... It just needs to be a update to the next release.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

deadram wrote: Ummm, yah, i'm at sinbads house...
Your right, thier not bugs.... thier "features"
Just like the "features" in windows XP

Return to “Help & Bugs”