Too much dependencies to download.

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

It's easy to compile on windows, because the you only have to download mingw libraries, rename them and put it in the spring folder and cmake the spring source with the downloaded libraries. I'm running a unix base OS right now and frankly I'm too lazy to download all these dependencies. Can anyone kindly make a lib like the one for windows? Thanks.
SpliFF

Re: Too much dependencies to download.

Post by SpliFF »

That would be a bad idea, there are generally too many differences across distros to do this properly. Perhaps you should consider a decent distro with apt, yum or emerge to find and download dependencies.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

SpliFF wrote:That would be a bad idea, there are generally too many differences across distros to do this properly. Perhaps you should consider a decent distro with apt, yum or emerge to find and download dependencies.
Then, are there other ways to link the dependencies to the spring source without the installing with the "make install"?
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

you can but I can't help but wonder why you would. If you have the libs in your system then you don't need to build them and if you don't then they won't conflict.

You can create a directory (like [spring]/libs) and copy the *.la, *.a and *.so files from each dependency (created by running make) into that. Then update the cmake files and/or use ldconfig (/etc/ld.so.conf) to say where your new lib directory is.

I'm not going into more detail than that, you'll need to do a little research into how cmake does its linking and how to set custom shared library paths in linux.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

it seems like Super Mario never heard of the concept of package managers, and the only way he knows of to install stuff under *nix is downloading source package and ./configure && make install.

Yes, there are other ways to do this, and they are much much more simple. On most distros, they are called package managers.

It would be good if you could tell us which OS exactly you are using.
For virtually all Linux distros, it will be easy, for BSDs i do not know, and for Solaris, i know that it is a pain to do (probably for most other Unixes too).
det

Post by det »

Ubuntu: sudo aptitude build-dep spring-engine
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

I'm not running linux you guys I am running open solaris right now.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Super Mario wrote:Can anyone kindly make a lib like the one for windows? Thanks.
gogogo make one!
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

would it be easier for me that I rip the lib from mingwlib.?
Edit: never mind it didn't work so well.
Can someone create a folder that has all the dependence from the guide and upload it, instead of forcing users going fishing?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

.... no, you cant use a windows lib under solaris (except you want to crosscompile and use wine).
it seems to me, you are not *nix expert.. and as i said, getting it to work under solaris (eg getting all the dependencies) is a big pain!
why are you using opensolaris anyway?
i started trying to get spring running there, but so far i failed cause of the dependencies as well. some of the required packages are available through IPS (something like gentoo overlays for solaris) but it is ugly to set up, and as said, does not contain all the dependencies.
short, use an other OS! or get pro under solaris and send us build instructions ;-)
in this case: good luck! :D :P

i know of nobody who tried running spring under solaris. so even if you get all dependencies, you will not be done with the problems.
use an other OS for gaming!
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

hoijui wrote:.... no, you cant use a windows lib under solaris (except you want to crosscompile and use wine).
it seems to me, you are not *nix expert.. and as i said, getting it to work under solaris (eg getting all the dependencies) is a big pain!
why are you using opensolaris anyway?
i started trying to get spring running there, but so far i failed cause of the dependencies as well. some of the required packages are available through IPS (something like gentoo overlays for solaris) but it is ugly to set up, and as said, does not contain all the dependencies.
short, use an other OS! or get pro under solaris and send us build instructions ;-)
in this case: good luck! :D :P

i know of nobody who tried running spring under solaris. so even if you get all dependencies, you will not be done with the problems.
use an other OS for gaming!
Getting it to work under solaris with easy build instructions could be one of summer of code proposals. That and a way to build spring on OS that has little to none packaging manger. Would be nice IMO.
Do you think that I should create a project proposal?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

NO! that is a bad idea!
better open a proposal for cleaning my room, it needs it!
its also something people would like to do.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Wait nm. looks like i can sudo it. oops :oops:You know what? screw this!

Return to “Help & Bugs”