Blue Screen of Death

Blue Screen of Death

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Milkbone

Blue Screen of Death

Post by Milkbone »

Hello,

Ok I am a total noob to the game but myself and a couple of friends have been playing receintly and really enjoying it.

We keep getting to a point though where the game crashes just as our ubits start to merge with each other. The game goes right to the send dont send windows error and then dumps out to the blue screen of death for the restart.

Like I said the game is great but after comitting 2+ hours its is killing us as the game is never properly finished.

Could this be too many units or could it be a sync problem.

I will try to get more info the next time it happens.

Thanks for your time.

Milk
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

A solutions (IMO the best one) is to use the classic TA patch (available at FU somewhere) and play that. games are far less likely to degenerate into 2 hour slogs :)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

ALWAYS WRITE DOWN WHAT IT SAYS ON A BLUESCREEN, ESPECIALLY IF IT MENTIONS A FILENAME.

I cant stress that enough. Usually the filename itself tells you whats wrong. For example video.sys obviously means re-install graphics card drivers. Thats the main cause of bluescreens with spring, and nobody seems to listen till it happens to them. Not that its a good idea to keep the same drivers for years on end without ever updating them...... Lets see, slightly improoved performance, enhanced stability, compatability with newer graphics cards (NVidia or ATI), better GUI for changing settings......

Otherwise, because you didnt say what you where doing in spring when it crashed, and you didnt say what the screen crash said, your complaint is of no use to anybody.
Delta

Post by Delta »

the bluescreen never says anything (for me atleast).
It just stays there long enough for me to see something blue before the computer restarts.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Goto your desktop and rightclick on ym computer, select settigns, goto the advanced tab, then click on settings udner startup and recovery. In the system failures section, you should see the checkbox "Automatically restart system", uncheck this. select OK till you've exited all windows. Now when you get a bluescreen of death it'll stay up and you can shutdown the computer manually.

Bluescreens are very important that you write them down. That way you knwo if you have a faulty driver, malware/spyware, or your system hardware is destabilising (static damage causing kernel errors).

Bluecreen errors happen because of a system error in the windows kernel. Usually happens when a program breaks its chains and accesses memory allocated to another process illegally, or a driver is doing soemthign ti shouldnt. In these cases continued system use would cause a chain reaction leading to a system crash that you might not recover from by simply rebooting.

In the event of a bluescreen of death, windows writes data to the hd about the crash. Usually by default XP is set to do a coredump of 64K to the hd, and some administrative log is recorded in XP Pro. This however depends on the settings you have in the dialog I mentioned above.

You should never get bluescreens of death, and if you do then soemthing is wrong with your computer or you where using a program that relied on things that wherent reliable, specifically drivers. Dont ignore them, act on them.
Delta

Post by Delta »

thanks, ill change that...
Delta

Post by Delta »

did what you said, still didnt get any text.
genblood

Post by genblood »

I've seen this a few times during alot of tcpip traffic the game
crashes to a blue screen. When the system boots back up, it
wants to send a error report to Microsoft. It was complaining
about tcpip problems.

This might be a similar problem your having. Some how the netcode
is getting too much info and causing a buffer overflow. You might
even have a memory leak due to the netcode, leaking into protected
memory .. :roll: ... Its all theory at this time. Someone will need to
run a sim of the netcode to see if anything happens.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

well this is what mine looks like:

When I get blue-screens nowadays, its always cause I did something with Spring that I shouldn't have. Though those bugs have been fixed now.

If your settigns look like the above then you should get your bluescreens and they should stay up till you manually reboot. Ignore the system startup section too.

Also it looks like you havent ran windows update, specifically you havent installed the error reporting patch.
Milkbone

Just like real life

Post by Milkbone »

Well just like real life when you take a car to the mechanic and say that something is wrong it never happens when they are looking at the car.

The same is true now.....we got three games off last night with no errors or blue screens.

Thanks guys for the quick responses, this shows that the fourms are alive and healthy, and I hope to meet your K-bots on the field of battle soon.

Milk
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

glad to hear it.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

i once bluescreened coz the guy i was playing had a 10-15sec powercut!!! ^^. :roll:

Return to “Help & Bugs”