SpringLobby and trouble with maps

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Veylon
AI Developer

Post by Veylon »

Alright. Springlobby (version 1.10423) does not show maps when I choose single player and select a mod and map, and crashes if I hit "start". In multiplayer, it crashes if I hit "Host New..." and then "Host", OR if I try to join a game. It seems to be related to UnitSync not being deinitialized, and then not working because it hasn't been initialized, as shown below.

Code: Select all

LogOutput initialized.
Available log subsystems: unitsync, VFS-detail, VFS, ArchiveScanner, 
Enabled log subsystems: unitsync, 
Enable or disable log subsystems using the LogSubsystems configuration key
  or the SPRING_LOG_SUBSYSTEMS environment variable (both comma separated).
unitsync: loaded, 0.78.2.1 (0.78.2.1-0-g768a2af{@}-s)
Using read-write data directory: C:\Users\John\spring\demos\
Using read-only  data directory: J:\Programs\Spring\
Scanning: J:\Programs\Spring\maps
Scanning: J:\Programs\Spring\base
Scanning: J:\Programs\Spring\mods
Scanning: C:\Users\John\spring\demos\maps
Scanning: C:\Users\John\spring\demos\base
Scanning: C:\Users\John\spring\demos\mods
unitsync: initialized, 0.78.2.1 (0.78.2.1-0-g768a2af{@}-s)
unitsync: hosting
unitsync: initfindvfs: demos/*.sdf
unitsync: findfilesvfs: 0
unitsync: loaded, 0.78.2.1 (0.78.2.1-0-g768a2af{@}-s)
unitsync: deinitialized
Using read-write data directory: C:\Users\John\spring\demos\
unitsync: error: Init: could not find 'gamedata/parse_tdf.lua' code
unitsync: error: GetMapInfoEx: Unitsync not initialized. Call Init first.
unitsync: error: GetPrimaryModCount: Unitsync not initialized. Call Init first.
unitsync: error: GetPrimaryModName: Unitsync not initialized. Call Init first.
unitsync: error: GetPrimaryModChecksum: Unitsync not initialized. Call Init first.
unitsync: error: GetMapInfoEx: Unitsync not initialized. Call Init first.
My OS is Vista Home Premium with SP1, if that matters, and I have Spring installed on an External Hard Drive to avoid the various Permissions and Compatability Files issues for which Vista is so justly famous.

I've already installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, cleared registries, and SpringLobby.conf, so if anyone's got any ideas, especially regarding that "gamedata/parse_tdf.lua" line, I'd be happy to hear them.
imbaczek

Re: SpringLobby and trouble with maps

Post by imbaczek »

Code: Select all

unitsync: error: Init: could not find 'gamedata/parse_tdf.lua' code
this means your unitsync can't find spring base files, which would normally sit in base/ in your spring install. something isn't right with your install (or perhaps springlobby got confused by something.) no idea what could be the remedy, though. does the settings program work?
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

would you mind doing the following test:

remove springsettings.conf in both:
c:\program files\spring ( if present)
c:\users\yourusername\app data\roaming\
c:\users\yourusername\app data\local\virtualstore\program files\spring

and try this special build?

http://springlobby.info/temp/builds/sl-vista.zip

EDIT: please also make sure that springlobby.exe is placed on the same folder of spring.exe and unitsync.dll because of UAC's folder virtualization reasons
Veylon
AI Developer

Post by Veylon »

I have a solution.

Installing the new Vista SpringLobby gave the same problem. HOWEVER, placing my base, mods and maps in c:\users\myusername\spring directories did fix the problem, leading me to believe that SpringLobby is simply ordering UnitSync.dll to search for the files in the wrong place. Or else I screwed it up. At least it works now, and I can probably sort it out. Thank you both for your help.

[Edit]

I should point out that, earlier when it wasn't working, it still new that my maps and mods existed, it just couldn't read them until they were put in the appropriate folders within c:\users\myusername\spring. This is very odd.

[Further Edit]

Aha! My problem is that, when I first started up SpringLobby, it asked for a Spring Data folder. The first time I hit cancel. The other times, I picked the default. Now, I manually had it pick the Spring installation folder (j:/programs/spring). The problem is that, while SpringLobby can find files in it's installation directory, it only reads files from the spring data folder it asks for on it's first start up. So this time, I had it pick the installation directory and now the files it's finding are now the ones it's reading. Success.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

Is it unable to read from more than one directory? The vast majority of Windows users aren't using the USER tree yet, and Spring's installer doesn't use it by default either. There's also no easy way to migrate those files built into SpringLobby, Spring itself, or ArchiveMover.

Also mods and maps really should be in the All Users tree rather than in an individual users' folder for people who have multiple users on the same PC playing Spring.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

get your facts straight first thanks, it's the total opposite WRT admin permissions and multi folder capabilities

I used unitsync functions to fetch writeable datadirs in both linux and windows, the fact that spring VFS gets confused when it gets virtualized and a datadir is set is not exactly my fault, I made default again the "do nothing" choice in windows WRT datadirs which is what giving the problem in the first place.

SL doesn't need to be run as administrator, unlike tasclient, nor spring does.
EDIT:
what would help is a manifest file in spring (and unitsync ofc ) so it becomes aware the program files folder is not writeable, so the VFS can work properly and switch to userland folder without forcing from the lobby or using UAC's virtualstore, then the existing code would automatically pick app data as microsoft prescribes ceasing all the problems ( and since lobby uses spring VFS functions to access it, it would start doing the same allright )

Return to “Help & Bugs”