Running Windows 7, Spring downloader crashes while starting.

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Journier

Post by Journier »

says Please close Program Now and move your spring downloader.exe to the spring folder.

I installed spring + TAS client to a seperate folder from Program files so as to not run into this issue.

yet spring downloader seems to think its having this issue when its not, its fully installed as far as i know to the Spring folder with everything else.

Not only that but it will run once every 20 or so tries :shock:

and run fine. then next time i try to run it it gives me this stupid error....

here is the text from error log...

FATAL: System.ApplicationException: Unable to load UnitSync.dll from spring ---> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at SpringLib.UnitSync.Init(Boolean isServer, Int32 id)
at SpringLib.UnitSync..ctor(String path)
at SpringDownloader.MapDownloader.TorrentManager..ctor(String springPath)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at SpringDownloader.MapDownloader.TorrentManager..ctor(String springPath)
at SpringDownloader.Program.Main(String[] args)
any thoughts?

The program has administrator rights etc... There is no memory corruption issue with my system. So either Windows 7 is somehow blocking Spring Downloader... for no reason... 19/20 tries or spring downloader just isnt yet set up for windows 7 ^_^.

thanks for any help
Last edited by Journier on 22 Jan 2009, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
imbaczek

Re: Running Windows 7, Spring downloader crashes while starting.

Post by imbaczek »

does tasclient work ok every time you start it?
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Hey I'm trying Spring under windows 7 beta as well.
Spring it self runs like a charm (I'm exctually getting better performance then under windows XP 64) with AI and all.

The lobby works fine. (only I have this weird bug that my password is somehow always wrong which keeps me from logging in, I had this on other platforms as well from time to time).

It's the Springdownloader that is borged like Journier described. This makes the lobby also very confused.
Journier

Post by Journier »

imbaczek wrote:does tasclient work ok every time you start it?
yes it does. works perfectly fine.

well I am sure happy im not the only one ^_^
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

update:

Ah I got it to work. I disabled the widnows Firewall (and run as administer) and no more errors.
Maybe you can tell your firewall to let Springdownloader free acces without disabeling it completly.

It seems you can just disable the firewall, run spring and then reable the firewall. It won't block it anymore.
Journier

Post by Journier »

trying........

edit- looking at my firewall settings its not blocking spring downloader.....

but ill turn it off and try it anyways.\

I turned off my firewall completely and the issue is still there.

NOT FIXED. for me.

eta2-

did you completely restart tas client or just spring downloader?
Journier

Post by Journier »

OK Restarting tas client completely will allow the spring downloader to randomely start it seems.

BUT, when it does start up without issue, if you actually click into the spring downloader box you get an access violation. this one different than the first I reported.

it says "spring downloader will close" but never closes it, and spring downloader continues to run etc fine, any time i click inside the spring downloader box i get the same System.AccessViolationException : Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt at.

heres the issue picture.

http://img164.imageshack.us/my.php?image=error1fy9.png

as I said spring downloader continues running after the violation and continues as if nothing has happened, and it will continuously occur if you click on the drop down boxes...

heres the error report.

1/22/2009 5:27 AM
Hashing C:\Games\Spring\mods\ca-r3838.sdz failed
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Games\Spring\downloader\ca\pool\de43d9f9e58bec6cd30d38ff05f0e8ed' is denied.

Server stack trace:
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(String path, Byte[] bytes)
at CaUpdaterLib.Pool.AddUncompressed(Byte[] uncompressedData, Hash hash)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Message.Dispatch(Object target, Boolean fExecuteInContext)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at CaUpdaterLib.Pool.AddUncompressed(Byte[] uncompressedData, Hash hash)
at CaUpdaterLib.Hash.HashZipFile(String s, Pool addToPool, List`1& internalFiles)
at CaUpdaterLib.Hash.HashFile(String s, Pool addToPool, List`1& internalFiles)
at SpringDownloader.Ca.InstalledModsManager.AddFile(String s, Int64 totalSize, Int64& doneSize)
Last edited by Journier on 22 Jan 2009, 13:03, edited 2 times in total.
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

By disabeling the Firewall (you can reable it again with no problems) the lobby and downloader works. only when you actually download something it gives the <System.AccessViolationException: protected memory> error. It does however download the file for you. you just have to live with dismissing the error.
Journier

Post by Journier »

noone has any clue i assume?

selfless bumping....
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

That other bug - do you have free space on your disk? Does SD have rights to create/modify files there?
Journier

Post by Journier »

yes i have 200 gb's of free space on my hard drive.

Spring downloader has administrator rights.

UAC is turn off, anti virus is turned off.

everything is off in windows 7 and its not working properly.

eta-

as I said before it will work randomely, once in a while it will actually start, other times it will not even attempt a start up and give me the stupid unitsync.dll error.

when it starts up it gives the same issue as I posted about above.

ok, i just gave spring downloader "full control" in permissions..... and it started up when i tried again.... I hadnt done that, it had all permissions before except full control.. dont know if that changed anything or i just got lucky for this startup.

trying to test if the Full Control permission is what was causing the failing to start most of the time...

but im still getting an error in the UI.

I have no virus's and this issue came up the moment i installed and ran tasclient + spring downloader on windows 7, the day i got windows 7.

im not having any issues with anything else with windows 7 either... torrent programs run fine etc...
Argh

Post by Argh »

Here's DoW's Sound Editor... as you can see, they have quite a few parameters for a given file, including flat-out limits on polyphony. Might be worth a bit of consideration.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Argh wrote:Image
Here's DoW's Sound Editor... as you can see, they have quite a few parameters for a given file, including flat-out limits on polyphony. Might be worth a bit of consideration.
:awesome:
reivanen

Post by reivanen »

From my experience with win7: sd kept crashing frequently, but tasclient seemed more stable then on vista.
Journier

Post by Journier »

guys its all unitsync's fault

licho hooked me up with this version of spring downloader and it works perfectly fine on windows 7... post here for support ^_^

http://tracker.caspring.org/SpringDownl ... urnier.exe
kayanat

Post by kayanat »

What is the best torrent downloader for a mac? Alright so I'm looking to download a torrent downloader for my macbook and want to know what a good easy to use one is. I think I'm under the right catergory here. I'm not experienced with computers and just got this mac and want to download alot of music so I want one thats got a good selection and can be used with ease. Any suggestions?

Return to “Help & Bugs”