I cannot join games - "Connecting to server" just rolls down

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

BadgerMyBadger

Post by BadgerMyBadger »

This is extremely frustrating!
I am now in a new house on a new network using a belkin wireless dongle to a belkin router. My actual provider once you dig down is tiscali.

I run XP and I was using BA v6.5

I just can't connect past the first black screen that comes up saying connecting... it just keeps rolling down. I can connect if I start a game when I'm in a room on my own but not when with others.......

Please help - wasted a lot of time but I have to just admit I'm majorly out my depth now... any help much appreciated.
Last edited by BadgerMyBadger on 07 Dec 2008, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
Hoi

Re: I cannot join games - "Connecting to server" just rolls down

Post by Hoi »

Does it work on autohosts? This problem usually occurs when the host (not you) has a firewall, so it might not be your problem, but someone elses problem.
BadgerMyBadger

Post by BadgerMyBadger »

I should have mentioned that - yes it seems the same with every room including autohosts and everyone else joins ok!
It is my problem unfortunately :(

I just tried turning downing settings so il try again but it worked very very quickly before.

My spec is pentium core2duo 3.00 with 4gb RAM so it shouldnt struggle too much. Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

new network
have you tried, you know, setting it up properly? (port forwarding from your router etc)

ps: your graphics settings have nothing to do with it, lol.
BadgerMyBadger

Post by BadgerMyBadger »

1) I made it obvious I'm new here & the network is fine for accessing everything I have tried except spring

2) I read a couple of other threads with identical symptoms where people said change the graphics settings so I thought its better to list it than not.

3) Pressure line, you're an asshole. If you're not going to offer valid help go f*ck yourself or find some real life interraction that doesn't involve cynical moronic comments.

Admin take the above as you like but I'm not going to remove it, he really does deserve it.

I really would appreciate any help that can be offered from genuinely helpful people
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

this does look like a network issue, check if you've got UDP flood protection or something similar on your router and disable it. if it won't help, your best bet is to learn some networking if you don't know any and use wireshark to check out what's going on on the wire.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

BadgerMyBadger wrote:1) I made it obvious I'm new here & the network is fine for accessing everything I have tried except spring

3) Pressure line, you're an asshole. If you're not going to offer valid help go f*ck yourself or find some real life interraction that doesn't involve cynical moronic comments.
1) Just because your connection is fine for any given program doesn't automatically mean it will work for Spring.

3) This must be the hundredth "ive got a new router and can't connect" thread on the board. Ensure that UPD port 8452 (i think thats the one, when you go to host in TASClient it tells you which port is default) is not blocked on your router.

*edit* also, lol.
BadgerMyBadger

Post by BadgerMyBadger »

I checked the common questions. I had searched similar posts and had no luck, so I posted as much info as possible to try and save time.

Do not take your unhappy childhood out on people politely asking for help.

Your suggestion has not worked - I have gone round in circles

Please, anybody, make legit suggestions
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Forward ports unconditionally to your IP. Do you know how to do this?
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Possibly a Vista-related problem.

oh yeah, and make sure your firewall(s) (software and hardware) are configured to allow Spring access to the internet (iirc its spring.exeor rtsspring.exe or sth like that, its a different exe to the lobby client)

*edit* also what Dragon said
BadgerMyBadger

Post by BadgerMyBadger »

I USE WINDOWS XP AS PER FIRST POST.

I don't know how to port forward :s any help would be awesome.

I have followed some fairly specific guides and had no luck whatsoever.

if someone could help stage by stage twould be very much appreciated, I'm still wasting ages on this
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

http://portforward.com/

should have all the info you need :)
unimatrix

Post by unimatrix »

I've got the exact same problem on Ubuntu 9.10

Using the latest Spring/SpringLobby.
When I connect to ANY server it just says "Connecting to Server" and counts till about 30-40 then it closes.

Also in my case I have no firewall on my system, and the router is configured correctly (not blocking UDP or Spring's port) and also everything except Spring works.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

unimatrix wrote:I've got the exact same problem on Ubuntu 9.10

Using the latest Spring/SpringLobby.
When I connect to ANY server it just says "Connecting to Server" and counts till about 30-40 then it closes.

Also in my case I have no firewall on my system, and the router is configured correctly (not blocking UDP or Spring's port) and also everything except Spring works.
if the ip and port are good, if the other players can connect, then it's your comp
unimatrix

Post by unimatrix »

What about my computer?

I mean everything else works perfectly, even mutliplayer over Wine (haven't tried it with Spring though).
unimatrix

Post by unimatrix »

OK I've ran Wireshark and it looks like there are no replies coming back from the spring servers.
unimatrix

Post by unimatrix »

I'm detecting no replies on the router either.

Either every server is broken or there is a bug in the client.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

unimatrix wrote:Either every server is broken so it won't allow me to connect, but still allow all others or there is a bug in the client that only triggers for me, while its working for everyone else.
How likely is that? Please double check your router settings, also checks if it has some kind of flood protection which can kick in when spring starts. Be sure that spring actually uses the port you unblocked / forwarded, because by default it will get a random one.
unimatrix

Post by unimatrix »

Hmm, this is getting stranger by the minute.
So when I click "Start" the game will run and start connecting.
It gets to exactly 45 seconds then it disappears (or just hides?).
But apparently not every time, because just a while ago when I thought the game had already closed, a few minutes later it suddenly pops up out of nowhere, connected to the server, ready to play.

When I tried this again, it did not work. "ps aux" did not show Spring running. Although a few times SpringLobby did notify me that "Spring is already running".

So this proves that my network is configured correctly, and that the problem is in the game.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

unimatrix wrote:It gets to exactly 45 seconds then it disappears (or just hides?).
Spring will quit after 45 seconds if it didn't receive any data.

Return to “Help & Bugs”