GUI, Trees and Gras disappears

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Wolken

Post by Wolken »

Hi,
when I am paying spring after short time (lets say 3 minutes) my GUI, trees, grass etc disappears. I think this happens when I am holding down shift for to long. The GUI and the other stuff will come back, if I hold down shift again but disappear if I will release the key. After another minute even this shift-trick does not work anymore and the GUI etc is away again.

Found nothing about it in the FAQ.

P4 3,2HT, 1GB Ram, ATI Readon 1300, (K)Ubuntu Hardy.

Thank You
Hoi

Re: GUI, Trees and Gras disappears

Post by Hoi »

Wolken wrote:Hi,
when I am paying spring after short time (lets say 3 minutes) my GUI, trees, grass etc disappears. I think this happens when I am holding down shift for to long. The GUI and the other stuff will come back, if I hold down shift again but disappear if I will release the key. After another minute even this shift-trick does not work anymore and the GUI etc is away again.

Found nothing about it in the FAQ.

P4 3,2HT, 1GB Ram, ATI Readon 1300, (K)Ubuntu Hardy.

Thank You
on what is your tree view distance and grounddecals? (spring directory->open settings.exe->click render detail)
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Wolken wrote:ATI Readon 1300
Most likely fail drivers. My old radeon used to do this too with the latest drivers - try reverting back to older ones, say, Jan 2007, that's what worked for me iirc.
Wolken

Post by Wolken »

Na, dunno how to downgrade my driver at linux/ubuntu. Can you help me?
Last edited by Wolken on 09 Jul 2008, 19:26, edited 2 times in total.
aegis

Post by aegis »

if you're using envy-ng, you can select the old drivers with it

if you aren't using envy-ng to get your graphics drivers, you should be
Wolken

Post by Wolken »

No, this error is not a caused by the driver. I played now 15 minutes without any disappering gui/trees/grass etc, because I never pressed the shift key. Than I pressed the shift for i think 30seconds and again everything disappeared. I started an new game and from the beginning i pressend shift and again after 20 seconds everthing disappears. So, whats wrong? My Shift-key ist not the devil, is it? Playing spring without pressing shift is like....like a PC without any Screen. Can someone help me?
aegis

Post by aegis »

you have an ati card
you can't say it isn't the driver until you try other drivers
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Wolken wrote:Can you help me?
No, sorry, I'm quite noob at linux stuff.

Driver malfunctions can cause pretty weird effects. Besides my gui disappearing I randomly had "blind spots" where I couldn't mouse click. It was tied to map, not screen, and I couldn't place buildings, click on units, or anything in that little spot. All these weird behaviours disappeared when I reinstalled the old drivers. It was on windows XP though...
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

The shift bug was an ATI driver issue afaik.
Wolken

Post by Wolken »

Has taken me about 6 hours to recover my system after I installing envy-ng. after rebooting I just had an black screen :cry: . I just can use Linux, not handle it :-) ...

I installed again and now it works. The problem: The driver. I can choose only one driver (8.3). how to choose an older one?
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

hiho, i just read some of the posts, but i got the same problem with my ati 9700 card, u have to find the "correct driver" with really old one i got problems, with the newest one i got also problems, so i chooses one between them ;)

(my bug was, the gui disaooeared, when u hold shift it came back, when u dont selected a com/con u dont see the gui)
Angelus

Post by Angelus »

Hi there. I too have this problem on XP using Omega drivers. What I would like to know: Is there any other way to prevent this from happening? See, my machine is not state of the art and the Omega drivers give me at least a few fps in other games, so I am kind of reluctant to change the drivers.
I'm using a Radeon 9600 on the Radeon Omega Drivers 4.8.442 (Catalyst 7.12) drivers.

As a sidenote: I'm pretty sure I played this game with Omega drivers and no problems before, but I'm not sure if this was before I switched to my current gfx board.
Soelen

Post by Soelen »

It appears here too, ATI Radeon 9600 and I sure don't want to change my driver coming from catalyst, there must be another solution~
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

tbh i think its the only soultion immo (got the same problem) but while u downgrade u maybe get an other graphic-problem in spring :(
Soelen

Post by Soelen »

I would understand if I'm not using ATI drivers coming from the ATI company.

I had never problems with other games until this moment with my grahpic driver. I sure got more problem with my alternative graphic drivers on kubuntu.

I think it's another problem. If I play a game, bug messages coming all the time like "your machine can't create shadows" n stuff, even I disabled shadows...
Soelen

Post by Soelen »

Thanks to this kind sir I installed spring with the ba mod successful on Kubuntu 8.04. Sadly, the bug appears again even with complete other drivers.
Angelus

Post by Angelus »

I upgraded (if you can call a shift from alternate to genuine drivers upgrading) to the most recent Catalyst (8.7 if I'm not mistaken) and the game works now without the GUI disappearing. In multiplayergames however, it seems that sometimes the particles (flying debris, the nanospray, laser beams etc.) disappear, rather randomly (as in I turn my mouse wheel to zoom one click - particles gone. I zoom out one more click - particles back).

Also: ATI drivers are, as far as I am informed, known to sometimes cause trouble with games (S├â┬Âldner Secret Wars for example)
etienneb1

Post by etienneb1 »

I have exactly the same problem.

The particles, nanospray and laser beems disapear sometimes randomly.

I have an ATI card, with Catalyst 8.10.
ash2life

Post by ash2life »

catalyst 8.8 or any less should work
i tryed manualy all catalyst from 8.4 to 8.12 on my ATI XT1950

(8.9 higher they introduce openGL3.0 support or something that screw up with spring)

Return to “Help & Bugs”