Needed extention GL_ARB_texture_env_combine not found!

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

LardLad3545

Post by LardLad3545 »

I have gotten this error right after I bought my 8800GTS. It happened right after I tried to launch a game. I was very down about the situation but, got over it.

Then, I saw that Spring had released a brand new version with a lot of changes. I though "Well maybe, just maybe, they've fixed my issue. So, I downloaded it and HOLY CRAP! It launched! I was so happy. That was two weeks ago.

This morning, I was wandering around the messageboards and waiting for somebody to respond to another topic about FPS control when I started thinking "Man, I'd sure like to have dynamic water back" because, obviously, dynamic water does not work on 8800s.

I started digging around and found no answers, but saw on the FAQ that it said turning threaded optimization off would improve framerate. So, I did it. And, as my topic states "Dear GOD, that error is back! Oh noez!" Anyways, I have a LAN party for Spring this Friday and I need to get this problem fixed ASAP. Any ideas would be SO helpful. My system is as follows: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 8800GTS superclocked.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Re: Needed extention GL_ARB_texture_env_combine not found!

Post by Tobi »

Probably stating the obvious, but did you turn threaded optimization back on again already?
(since you suggest that is the only thing you changed since it worked right?)
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Maybe it's worth the time to remove all the use of all the extension based functions and replace them with standard GL stuff (ie: glBindTextureARB -> glBindTexture).

Or test for a software reference driver by GL driver name, since that I think the usual reason why this happens (GL_ARB_multitexture hardware implementations go back to the time of voodoo2 cards ;) Every hardware driver will have multitexture.. )

Either way, there are more people being 'rejected' by this bug, than there are people with non multitexture hardware trying to run spring :)
LardLad3545

Post by LardLad3545 »

To the first poster, yeah, I did turn it back but with no luck. To the second poster, I also did try all the possible settings to see if any worked, but, to no avail. I eventually erased all traces of my video drivers and reinstalled the latest but that STILL didn't work so I resolved in doing a system restore back to yesterday.

Stupidly enough (And maybe this always happens with system restore, but I've never done it so...) my video drivers were GONE. I spent over a minute just watching my mouse move a window around and having it redraw it in a comical fashion before I just had enough and went on with downloading the latest drivers again, and, hurray, it worked. I am a happy Spring player again. :-)

But, if this happens again, is there possibly an easier way to fix it?
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Spring checks GL extensions for a reason.
Maybe the nvidia OpenGL driver gets corrupted in some way, but there is no way spring can work around that.

If it happens again, try other OpenGL games such as doom3/quake2.. if those do work, then it has to be some bug with Spring after all.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

LardLad3545 wrote:My system is as follows: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 8800GTS superclocked.
What OS are you on? I have literally the same system (except for the 8800 which is the ultra from EVGA) and haven't had any of these issues with various different drivers.
LardLad3545

Post by LardLad3545 »

Alright, if I get this bug again, I'll try out Doom 3 and see what happens.

And, nice, EVGA rox. Anyways, I'm running Windows XP SP2, and as far as I know everything is up to date. (As a side note, have you found out anything that could even remotely lead to finding a solution to that dynamic water/8800 issue? I like it so much that it'll be hard for me to take "no" for an answer. Hopefully, it isn't just a sheer incompatability between the 8800 architecture and Spring.)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Well I guess it's something else, since we're on pretty similar hardware/software configurations. Did you install all the recent chipset drivers including the dual core patch from AMD? The latter fixes the timing issues some older (and newer) games have, basically evens the cycle counters on both cores.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

LardLad3545 wrote:(As a side note, have you found out anything that could even remotely lead to finding a solution to that dynamic water/8800 issue? I like it so much that it'll be hard for me to take "no" for an answer. Hopefully, it isn't just a sheer incompatability between the 8800 architecture and Spring.)
Some dev with an 8 series card just needs to take an interest in fixing it. Maybe if you bought jc a 8800 GTS he would do it. :P
LardLad3545

Post by LardLad3545 »

Well, seeing as they're frickin $160 cheaper than when I bought mine half a year ago, I just might! Kidding, or am I? :shock:
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

lol I already have a 8800 gts, i actually never tested dynamic water with it.
Not that I'm going to fix it, the code is messy and i have lots of other stuff to do. Besides I remember the last time I did some water stuff, everyone was bitching that water was unimportant and other parts needed to be done ;)

Anyway I just lurk on spring forums, I don't actually do stuff anymore.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Fix dynamic water!
Fix SM3!
Add skeletal animation to S3O!

:P
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Did someone mention skeletal animation?

My skeletal animation sense was tingling...
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

jcnossen wrote:Besides I remember the last time I did some water stuff, everyone was bitching that water was unimportant and other parts needed to be done ;)
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Fix upspring! Or... uh.

Return to “Help & Bugs”