Mostly poor performance, occasionally really good.

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Disco Justice

Post by Disco Justice »

I just upgraded my machine with nearly all new kit. The nVidia 6600 GS card that used to do fine with Spring is now an nVidia 8600 GTS OC. The rest of the system is:
Intel Quad Core 6600
2Gb RAM
XFX nForce 680i motherboard

Everything is fine, but when I came to try Spring, it's being a bit odd. Performance (and by that I mean FPS) is way down on what it used to be, but, very occasionally (usually after a reset) it will work really well for one game. Then, subsequent games will again perform poorly.

Pressing TAB highlights the issue, even on an empty map: the frame rate drops massively as the camera pulls back to reveal the whole map.

I know this probably sounds more like a computer/GPU issue than a Spring issue, but I'm pretty mystified as to what could be causing it. Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

I'm using the latest nVidia drivers.

EDIT: One thing that does make me suspect Spring is that Doom 3 (also an OpenGL game, I believe) runs smooth as silk at 1280x1024.

Another EDIT:I just did the following.
1) Reinstalled the lastest nVidia drivers.
2) Ran the game at 1024x768: very poor performance as before.
3) Ran the game at 1280x1024: excellent, super-smooth performance.
4) Tried it again, changing nothing: same excellent performance.
5) Tried it once again, changing nothing: cruddy performance again.

Does this ring any bells with anyone? I'm stumped.

Yet Another Edit: Something else just happened: the framerate improved suddenly during the game, back to how it should be. I can't reproduce it, so I don't think it was something I was doing at the time.

Final edit:
Got it!
That's right, I didn't read the FAQ closely enough, did I? ;) Restricting Spring to a single core did the trick.

Thanks for your help, Disco Justice.

No problem.

;)

Return to “Help & Bugs”