It's Nerf or Something Else

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Anyone out there a Nerf gun person.

I've just bought myself a gun and have been experimenting with homemade darts and such and wonder if any spring peeps are the kind of people I can talk to about modifying and/or dartsmithing?

Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

You wanna know something fun? Take a super soaker. Cut the barrel in half. Take a tube that can fit a nerf dart. Tape or glue the tube to the half barrel. Make sure the tube is nice and long. Looong. Get a scope, attach the scope to the super soaker. Draw a crosshair onto the scope.

Take the modfied super soaker and go to local playground. Find the tallest tower. Go prone and start pumping up your super soaker. Stick your dart into the barrel. Take aim on child. Pull trigger. If you did everything righ, then a super strong blast of air will propell your dart to high speeds and will allow it to go REALLY fast and REALLY far.

Hehehehe...I had too much fun with that.
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

Zoombie wrote:You wanna know something fun? Take a super soaker. Cut the barrel in half. Take a tube that can fit a nerf dart. Tape or glue the tube to the half barrel. Make sure the tube is nice and long. Looong. Get a scope, attach the scope to the super soaker. Draw a crosshair onto the scope.

Take the modfied super soaker and go to local playground. Find the tallest tower. Go prone and start pumping up your super soaker. Stick your dart into the barrel. Take aim on child. Pull trigger. If you did everything righ, then a super strong blast of air will propell your dart to high speeds and will allow it to go REALLY fast and REALLY far.

WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED?!
Relative

Post by Relative »

jackalope wrote:
Zoombie wrote:crazy
WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED?!
Zoombie
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Zoombie: blunt darts or did you impale the kid?
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

rattle wrote:Zoombie: blunt darts or did you impale the kid?
Darts..... as in from the eponymous "game". :-)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

He said Nerf darts, I doubt you could impale someone with those no matter how much you sharpen them.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Hmmm no.
Take a tube that can fit a nerf dart.
:P
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

If it fits a nerf dart it's not going to fit a lawn dart.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

It might fit a custom (sharpened) dart... Zoombie is crazy you know.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

He said something about modfying and nerf. So I thought I'd bring up my super soaker thingy.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

Zoombie wrote:You wanna know something fun? Take a super soaker. Cut the barrel in half. Take a tube that can fit a nerf dart. Tape or glue the tube to the half barrel. Make sure the tube is nice and long. Looong. Get a scope, attach the scope to the super soaker. Draw a crosshair onto the scope.

Bye bye supersoaker..
/me runs off to the garage
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Damn why didn't I know about the super soaker trick as a kid, I would've ruled the nabourhood :P

The classic PVC tubes with paper arrows work decently too, but this sounds much more fun and advanced ;)
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

jcnossen wrote:Damn why didn't I know about the super soaker trick as a kid, I would've ruled the nabourhood :P

The classic PVC tubes with paper arrows work decently too, but this sounds much more fun and advanced ;)
Its never too late to rule the neighborhood ;)
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

yeah JC let ur inner child run wild...

or in this case lay prone and go trigger happy :P
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

As interesting as that sounds Zoombie, this guy puts that plan somewhat to shame: http://www.boltsniper.com/

For example, that guy's 'SCAR-N' has a stated accurate range of 70 feet (21 meters), with a max range of 110 feet (33m), and a cyclical rate of fire of 150RPM. For comparasion, Nerf's official 'sniper' toy gun has an accurate range of about 20 feet, and a max of ~30ft.

Of course, he spent months making the thing, and he's an engineer by trade, but still. If you shot a kid with that, I'm reasonably sure you'd be attacked en masse by angry fathers.
Relative

Post by Relative »

Nemo wrote:If you shot a kid with that, I'm reasonably sure you'd be attacked en masse by angry mothers.
fix'd
Drone_Fragger

Post by Drone_Fragger »

KDR_11k wrote:
He said Nerf darts, I doubt you could impale someone with those no matter how much you sharpen them.
Oh you'd be surprised. A singled Titan can get 300 feet if modded properly. That's with really bad aerodynamically done darts. At less than 50 ft it's enough to break the skin. If you attached a slightly sharpened and straigtened out paperclip to the front of that and hit someone in the right place (Neck) Then it could quite easily kill.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”