FPS to RTS?

FPS to RTS?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

KDR_11k
Game Developer

FPS to RTS?

Post by KDR_11k »

Seems to me that UT2003 and 4 looked like inspiration to some RTS designers. First there was the game Arena Wars (that's getting a sequel soon), a pretty cool game about item domination and the three team modes from UT2003: Capture the Flag, Bombing Run and Double Domination.

Now there's The Show, a game that seems to take a lot of its gameplay from Dawn of War (even down to the "build generators in your base to get the energy ressource for vehicles") and using a power core - power node gameplay like UT2004's Onslaught.

There's also the points system from Battlefield that inspired Company of Heroes but that inspiration is a bit more loose.

Any bets on when we'll see Counterstrike: The RTS (or how many released games can be called that)?
Radja

Post by Radja »

well, theres savage, that is an rts with fps controled units...

freealligeance is like that too (but you control space ships)

i like that system, it adds a fun layer of play to fpss, instead of scripted "drop bomb here to continue" or "bring tank here to blow door up", you get dinamic bases with dinamics raid plans and two swordmen wont always kill one pikeman

the problem is that (casual) mission based fps players are usually more interested in frag counts than in the current mission objectives, and the ego boost internet gives to some people makes them incompatible with being ordered around
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I think you misunderstood what I meant, I mean more and more RTSes taking rules from FPSes, not actually having an FPS mode.
Radja

Post by Radja »

i read the topic the other way around :P

well, i have not tried those games and cant actually see how can a rts be (gameplaywise) inspired from fpss

rtss have "always" different game modes (get objective first, destroy/defend objective, king of the hill, etc). i cant see shadows web, but arena wars just looks like a normal rts with a very simplified resource/production system

i should try it to say this, but the fps inspiration sounds like marketing strategy to me

btw, counterstrike the rts exists, its called c&c generals xD
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I think there was a TA project in the makings on the UT2004 engine.
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

not sure if its still alive

but there was a very popular HL mod, Natural Selection

Marines vs. Aliens

one of the players was the "commander" and issued orders/waypoints/objectives to FPS players from an RTS overhead view
base layout and design was actually vital to success
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

There's an old Arena Wars demo if you don't know how that'd work.
tombom

Post by tombom »

I bought Arena Wars. I tried to play it recently, but multiplayer was empty and the game in general didn't really grab me. It was pretty interesting though.

It didn't play out like a traditional RTS. Basically, you had a fixed amount of money, either $1000 or $2000, and bought units with them. When units died, you got the money back. There were 5 different units which cost different amounts, built in different times and were counters for one other unit while being especially vulnerable to another. They each had special abilities. Each player had a power station and if it was knocked out you wouldn't be able to build for a short amount of time. There were different points on the map which had items that recharged like weapons in an RTS that you could do different things with, like freeze a unit or stop the other guy building for a time. You couldn't actually destroy buildings so the only gameplay modes were FPS stuff.
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

CnC Renegade.

OK, it pretty much sucked in comparison to other contemporary shooters, but it did have more strategy than most of 'em.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Actually there were six units, not five.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Renegade is more action game than anything else, there was little strategy involved at all. Have to admit it was fun to have a friend steer the tank allowing you to aim and shoot at stuff.

However, NS in commander mode plays just like your average RTS, only that the units are controlled by the other players.
Exit69

Post by Exit69 »

I R demand a D00m2 mod!
Andreask

Post by Andreask »

Planetside is a FPS with many RTS elements. I even tinkered around with the idea of making a PS:Spring, sadly, after evaluating all of PS´ features i had to realize that our beloved gaming engine is not capable of supporting most of them.

Check out the original game, it is worth a try.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”