Other stuff you wish had an open source remake. - Page 2

Other stuff you wish had an open source remake.

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

There is only one real answer to this: X-COM aka UFO: ENEMY UNKNOWN.

If there was a graphically updated remake with multiplayer, I would play it all day. That game is awesome.

edrush

Post by edrush »

Boirunner wrote:There is only one real answer to this: X-COM aka UFO: ENEMY UNKNOWN.

If there was a graphically updated remake with multiplayer, I would play it all day. That game is awesome.
Great game indeed, didn't really like second one that much.

Ever tried this one? http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com/
Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

no, but it seems fun. the thing i loved about x-com though was the combination of grand strategy and squad-based tactics. just tactics doesn't appeal to me as much.

i will always remember getting new entries to the ufopedia thing. awesome stuff!
Peace

Post by Peace »

XCOM1 is one of my all time fav games!

There actually was a open source remake in the works for it a couple of years ago but it didn't seem to be going anywhere...

Heres the link to it: http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net/ seems to have come a bit further since I last checked.

Edit: commercial remake? Just saw this: http://pc.ign.com/articles/768/768012p1.html Sounds Grrreeat! :shock:
Radja

Post by Radja »

Boirunner wrote:There is only one real answer to this: X-COM aka UFO: ENEMY UNKNOWN.

try ufo: alien invasion, is not completed but singleplayer is playable, 3d battlescape and multiplayer, open source of course

id like to see something like max:mechanized assault and exploration, its a mixture between battle island (tbs) and resource/base managment ala rtss
Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

Radja wrote:ufo: alien invasion
holy fucking shit! this is incredible! a complete remake of xcom in GPL! with multiplayer! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED! THIS IS AWESOME!

Bye Spring, I'm off to play Alien Invasion.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

PicassoCT wrote:Planesacpe + 1000
Fear the Lady of Pain :)
A friend of mine has a large, elaborate Lady of Pain tattoo on his back. Now _that_ is a hardcore Nerd.

Oh, and my "I wish there was an OSS version" is Battlezone - the '97 version. The best fusion of FPS and RTS I've experienced.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

There's UFO 2000, the multiplayer only remake of XCOM.

Alien Invasion is (or was) way too incomplete...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”