Supreme Commander demo release ...

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

genblood

Post by genblood »

Gaspowered Games released a Demo of Supreme Commander ...
Goolash_

Post by Goolash_ »

erm... I'm not so excited. played the first mission in the campaign and it seems like a total spam fast. besides this is the first game to totally rape my computer, it was begging for mercy, it got to single digit frame rates and by that i mean 1 :P
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

The game told me to go air first then told me to build an air factory to fast and gave me an e shortage.

It runs pretty damn nice here though.

Edit: ooh, damn this is nice. They fixed most of the problems I had with the beta, except maybe the "everything takes so much damage" thing, but mods will fix this.
Last edited by ZellSF on 07 Feb 2007, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Me am dling demo now. me unable to type because me am tired. me get demo in morning.
manored

Post by manored »

Zoombie wrote:Me am dling demo now. me unable to type because me am tired. me get demo in morning.
:lol:
genblood

Post by genblood »

The played against the AI .. it was fun. The graphics are SWEET :lol:
My BFG 8800 GTS helps out. I figure I might pick up a second card
and run it in SLi ... 8)

Only 13 days before it's released ... Looking forword to the mapping
tools ... :shock:

The only thing I don't like about the Demo ... NO multiplayer ....
THat should have been added ... :cry:
Relative

Post by Relative »

genblood wrote: My BFG 8800 GTS helps out. I figure I might pick up a second card
and run it in SLi ... 8)
Tell me how to grow that money tree of yours!
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

We should do the same thing... no reason why we should, but we should. Spring needs more Demos. How to convince Peopl if they get the whole Game for free - they have to suffer, to long for more and to work hard to get the "more" :)

SC shows the Way to Victory. Copy& Paste for the Win! ;)
Drone_Fragger

Post by Drone_Fragger »

Supcom doesn't support Sli. Something about it messing up the second display if it's turned on.

I've kinda given up on spring and moved onto supcom. I like it better :D
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Drone_Fragger wrote:Supcom doesn't support Sli. Something about it messing up the second display if it's turned on.

I've kinda given up on spring and moved onto supcom. I like it better :D
This is a nvidia problem not a supcom problem IIRC. Nvidia doesnt support DX10 SLi atm and the dx9 support in the latest drivers is patchy. Its better than ATi from what I've ehard though.
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

really not all that impressed...

playing through the campigns there is little to do except spam units to clear out an enemy base in early missions and im sure later missions will be all about siege bots and experimentals... which sounds like a mirror for multiplay as well. Turrets are still waaayyy to good, which is yet another reason to spam units -> super units. still feel choked by the UI and maps only seem so epic because over half the units are smaller than a dime on screen (go ahead and test it, find a really small piece of change. chances are at standard soom lvls u can cover up most of lvl 1 and 2 units except ships).

all in all, unless this has modding capabilities along the lines of OTA (create a unit drop it in), Spring (mod files) or them combined im not seeing that much reason to switch. Esp since i can't run it with all the whiz bang graphics and such which is probably the biggest thing it has going for it.

EDIT: twice for spelling *grumble grumble*
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I like the spamming. I mean...you gots to spam the right units, specially in early battles. Also isn't there a controll, like in OTA, where you can say, "I don't like expiremental units. Let's turn them off, or limit them to one per side"

It's a big game. You need lots of units. And the unit's being small never bothered me...I don't know why. They have correct scales. Isn't that cool?
RogerN

Post by RogerN »

Alas, I downloaded the demo before realizing it doesn't run on Windows 2000. I'm feeling a little bitter right now, 'specially since my hardware is more than sufficient to play the game.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

It seems a requirement for that "Games for Windows" logo that defiles game boxes now is that it doesn't run under Win2k.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

?!

You got to be kidding... :(
Relative

Post by Relative »

rattle wrote:?!

You got to be kidding... :(
Cheer up, with vista out XP prices are bound to hit rock bottom.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

so basicly its a spammy, porcy tech race to T3 with shiny graphics for the noobs and really tiny units.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I won't pay for XP, not gonna use it either unless I can't get a cheap deal for vista.
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:so basicly its a spammy, porcy tech race to T3 with shiny graphics for the noobs and really tiny units.
how can a RTS be both spammy and a porcy tech race at the same time...?

:?
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

I'll leave the gameplay discussion to others, but the engine sucks. Pretty lame to claim it is massive combat when it will run at 1 fps at a decent pc. Doing all game simulation including projectiles in lua... what where they thinking when they implemented that?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”