Riddle me this... - Page 2

Riddle me this...

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

2 trains, 1 from Paris to Barcelona, the other heading the other way. First is a diesel engine and is traveling at 200mph, the other an electric at 120 mph. They collide exactly on the border between France and Spain. Serious damage and casulties. Where do they bury the survivors?
now that would depend on a number of variables including the compositions of the trains (elastic/inelastic collision, possible deformation) etc etc etc. I guess the only way to solve it is to load a load of french(ards?) and spainards into respective trains :twisted:
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

BlackLiger wrote:
Kixxe wrote:
rattle wrote:You don't need to know any maths to solve such a stupid riddle... :P
Boy returns with the change of 5, keeps 2 and returns 1 to each.
30 - (25+2+1+1+1) = 0. Tada. Are you in junior high?
yes, and the point is that they pay is that they pay 9 each, then +2 from the tip, but that only becomes 29... if they payed 9 each, where did the last one go? (ergo so it's not "30 - (25+2+1+1+1) = 0")

but that's wrong since the 9x3 = 27 which has the 2 already included. blah blah blah.

this riddle sucks
post your own damn riddle mister smarty pants...
You challenge, I answer:

2 trains, 1 from Paris to Barcelona, the other heading the other way. First is a diesel engine and is traveling at 200mph, the other an electric at 120 mph. They collide exactly on the border between France and Spain. Serious damage and casulties. Where do they bury the survivors?
SURVIVORS ARENT BURIED FOO

EDIT french people would be enough for testing purposes, min
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Comp1337 wrote:SURVIVORS ARENT BURIED FOO
Hence my sarcastic reply.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

No, the survivors go to Switzerland. That place rocks!
EXit_W0und

Post by EXit_W0und »

Heres a better one:

There is an island on which a dragon and a knight co-exist, there also exist 7 wells at different heights on the mountain at the centre of island. The water in each of these wells is poisonous, but water from a higher well is a cure for water drunk from a lower one. The 7th well is on the very top of the mountain where only the dragon can reach it.

One day the dragon and knight decide to duel: they each bring a cup of water to the duel, swap them then drink.

The dragon died as a result of this duel. Why?
tombom

Post by tombom »

EXit_W0und wrote:The dragon died as a result of this duel. Why?
Dragons are allergic to water. Duh.
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

The knight drank water from a lower well before the duel.
Deathblane

Post by Deathblane »

Yeah, but despite it being a cure (for the water of a lower well) it's still got it's poison properties so shouldn't the knight die anyway?
EXit_W0und

Post by EXit_W0und »

Yeah, but despite it being a cure (for the water of a lower well) it's still got it's poison properties so shouldn't the knight die anyway?
Nope

The knight drank water from a lower well before the duel.
Why does the dragon die though?
Deathblane

Post by Deathblane »

My point is the water from the higher well will cure the poisened water from the lower well, but then poison him anyway with whatever poisions in the highest well.
EXit_W0und

Post by EXit_W0und »

No, imagine that they are 2 reactive chemicals which both react with someone in a harmful way, but react with each other harmlessly to produce something which doesn't react at all.

That asides - it's just a riddle, the rules don't have to make sense in real life, just so long as you stick to them to work out the answer :P
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

He discovered the knight was cheating, and attacked him. Too bad the knight had a vorpal longsword. :P

Nah, hmm, lemme see.....
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

smoth wrote:[20:20:51] <[WarC]Kixxe> 3 persons walk into a hotel, and the fee is 25 Euro

[20:20:56] <[WarC]Kixxe> they pay 10 each
[20:21:23] <[LCC]IaMaCuP> k

+30

[20:21:45] <[WarC]Kixxe> the luggage boy gets 2 in tip, and everyone gets 1 euro each

[20:22:00] <[WarC]Kixxe> now, they payed 9 euro each, correct?
[20:22:07] <[WarC]Kixxe> since they got 1 back..
[20:22:18] <[WarC]Kixxe> so... 3x9 + 2 = 29

No they paid 25 total for the room! geez.. then the bellhop took out 2 for a tip which = 27. they then received 1 each totaling roomcost+tip=27 change 3.

Kixxie, t is not that hard.. someone lock this thread it is giving me pains in my neither regions.

yes, and the point is that they pay is that they pay 9 each, then +2 from the tip, but that only becomes 29... if they payed 9 each, where did the last one go? (ergo so it's not "30 - (25+2+1+1+1) = 0")

but that's wrong since the 9x3 = 27 which has the 2 already included. blah blah blah.
blah blah blah
iamacup

Post by iamacup »

Michilus_nimbus wrote:The equation is wrong.
look at it this way:
3x9 - 2 = 25

Although adding the 2 seems intuitive, it doesn't make any sense.
[19:38:59] <[LCC]IaMaCuP> 'so... 3x9 + 2 = 29' - this line is flawed
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

EXit_W0und wrote:Heres a better one:

There is an island on which a dragon and a knight co-exist, there also exist 7 wells at different heights on the mountain at the centre of island. The water in each of these wells is poisonous, but water from a higher well is a cure for water drunk from a lower one. The 7th well is on the very top of the mountain where only the dragon can reach it.

One day the dragon and knight decide to duel: they each bring a cup of water to the duel, swap them then drink.

The dragon died as a result of this duel. Why?
I'm probably wrong anyway so what the fuck...

The knight gathered water from the 6 wells he could reach. The dragon however brought water from all 7 wells.

Well1: poison1
Well2: negates poison1 but has poison2
Well6: negates poison5 but has poison6
Well7: negates poison6 but has poison7 for which there is no cure.

So I can only assume the dragon drank before the knight or the dragon brought sea water since it is an island or the cup was empty.
The water in each of these wells is poisonous
Both should have died if they drank water from any of these wells since there is no cure for the 7th.

On the other hand the knight could have slayn the dragon instead if both brought sea water. I'm a bit confused to be honest...

The Thirteen Wells

There is an island with thirteen wells, all of which have poisoned water. The wells are labelled 1-13. All the poisons taste the same, like regular well water. If someone/something drinks a cup of poison from well X, they will die unless they drink another cup of poison from a well numbered greater than X (within a reasonable amount of time). For example, if I drink from well 4, I will die unless I have a cup of poison from well 5 or well 6 or well 7, etc. So... there is a dragon and a knight on this island. They are both rational thinkers. Only the dragon, however, can reach well #13 because it is too high for the knight to get to. Both the knight and the dragon get a cup of water from one of the wells (without the other seeing) and exchange cups, and they have to drink it. Amazingly, the dragon dies and the knight lives. How did this happen?
That's from another site and a bit more explanatory (no there was no solution).

Going by this the knight drank water from the lowest well immediately before the duel.

edit:
Hm there are more than one solutions to this... that was just the most obvious.
Last edited by rattle on 16 Jan 2007, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

1+2 = fine
2+3 = fine
3+4 = fine etc

You wont get poisoned by poison2 if you already drank poison1
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Actually the solution is only one possible scenario.

Knight drank water from well 1. Knight mixed a lower water with a higher water so the poisonous effects are gone (if I understood this correctly). The dragon then died from drinking water from well 7.

The riddle is missing some important parts such as they die within 24 hours which leaves them plenty of time to cancel their poisons.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

rattle wrote:Actually the solution is only one possible scenario.

Knight drank water from well 1. Knight mixed a lower water with a higher water so the poisonous effects are gone (if I understood this correctly). The dragon then died from drinking water from well 7.

The riddle is missing some important parts such as they die within 24 hours which leaves them plenty of time to cancel their poisons.
Ya know, that sounds like a winner to me.
Couple with knight drinks before duel for massive damage
EXit_W0und

Post by EXit_W0und »

I'll give you that:

The knight drinks from the 5th well first knowing the dragon will bring water from the 6th since the knight can't reach the 7th well to cure himself. The effects of the 5th well are then cured at the duel.

The knight brings ordinary water to the duel expecting the dragon to try to cure him self using water from the 7th - for which there is no cure.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Doesn't that count as cheating? I've read the longer version of the riddle and it stated that neither party cheated for instance.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”