Console to Computer Graphics. - Page 2

Console to Computer Graphics.

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

But, until consoles have the ability to type stories, print, post, and many other things (some consoles/handhelds can do these already) computers will always be made of \/\/1/\/
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Who'd want an upgradeable console? That removes the whole advantage of a console which is unified hardware configurations so you know that a game was designed and tested for your configuation. Without that you'd just buy a PC with more expensive games that won't run non-DRMed software. And hell, if I just wanted a PC with incompatible architecture I'd have bought a Mac long ago.
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

KDR_11k wrote:hell, if I just wanted a PC with incompatible architecture I'd have bought a Mac long ago.

ZING!
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

KDR_11k wrote:PC + various emulators + PS2 pad and USB adapter = true win :)

Why would you voluntarily use that horrible controller Sony attaches to the PS2?
Because I've had quite a few PC pads and a dozen from other consoles in my hands and and none were feeling well enough or had idiotic button layouts (anything Nintendo, save that SNES pad). That's why. I don't have a PS2 however, I never have nor will spend money on consoles :)
Aun

Post by Aun »

On upgradeable consoles - Hard drives in the 360 and PS3?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The PS2 has a horrible dpad. I prefer my PS2 clone controller that doesn't need an adapter, can set the analog sticks to digital (as opposed to simply disabling them) and doesn't hurt my hands when playing a fighting game.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

The modern Nintendo console controllers have the best ergo and design of any mass produced controllers - which isn't saying a terrible lot.

For a test I would compare Halo 2 on the Xbox to what you might consider an equivalent game on the PC. Guess what? My Xbox has to load each level of texture separately. I can see them pop on in sequence - frame, base, secondary, reflective, detail. Not to mention the FPS drops in cooperative...

Graphically, the PC is better. Luckily, graphics mean very little in comparison to game play. I'll go back to River Raid on my Atari 2600 now, thank you.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

KDR_11k wrote:The PS2 has a horrible dpad. I prefer my PS2 clone controller that doesn't need an adapter, can set the analog sticks to digital (as opposed to simply disabling them) and doesn't hurt my hands when playing a fighting game.
There's a use for the analogue sticks? :P
I've been using them once in some PSX game which acutally played better using the sticks (think it was either Chrono Cross or something else Square). It's quite ok to play stuff on emulators and I don't really need all that stuff advanced controllers offer like autofire and what else...

Neddie, they may be ergonomic but still have a horrible button layout in my opinion. Though I know people who swear on the N64 controller (even typing this out makes me shiver)...
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

The ONLY reason a console can often do better graphics than a PC (even on an inferior hardware setup) is because they have EXACTLY 1 configuration. This allows the game developers to push said configuration to its limits, where they don't know what the PC user will have....
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Yes but the dpad on the PS2 is awful, that stupid split in the middle hurts my thumb.
Cyberwal

Post by Cyberwal »

I wonder if the wii remote will be good for rtses on the console. Spring Wii? ;)
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

Graphics, preformance, all other "non-arbitrary" stats will be better on PC than console given a sufficently powerfull PC.

But graphics/preformance etc per dollar are much bette on a console due to the fact that game designers will know the exact hardware thay are going to run on.

And then some other stuff....
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

75 fps (max with vsync) with halo @ 1280x1024, all effect etc turned on.

And it's still an ugly game. :(
Drone_Fragger

Post by Drone_Fragger »

Aun wrote:PCs will probably always win out, apart fromk the first 6 months of a consoles release. Then again, consoles are getting closer and closer to PCs, so it could be possible to upgrade your console one day.
If you have to upgrade you console, why not get a PC? An upgradable console pretty much sounds like a PC in a small box with shitty controls, bad graphics and a Usaully shitty media systems, with a side that slides off so you can stick something with 4000 pins that are razor sharp into a socket that is hidden under the extreme delicate, console-controller bag of wires that, if broken, voids the warrenty AND breaks your console to me.

*pant* *Wheeze*
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

KDR_11k wrote:Yes but the dpad on the PS2 is awful, that stupid split in the middle hurts my thumb.
Hum that might be true. I remember getting sore thumbs more than once from playing fighting games at a friend...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”