What would you do?

What would you do?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Orakio

What would you do?

Post by Orakio »

If you took over your country in a coupe?

I'd ban all religion and adverts. I'd introduce plans and schemes to provide free education up until the age of 25 with no bias on inteligence. Stupid people need even more education! Free education would be manadatory for immigants with an educational background weaker than that a typical person wouldbe expected to get in this country to allow them to properly settle in. I would deprivatise transport and communication in order to make significant changes. We need a rail system like Japan's. To enable these there would be many job creation schemes. I would create a proper institute of employment strongly attached to the institute of education which as well as storing records of exam results and such would also store employment history and references in a database of all people in order to make employment easier so that it doesn't matter how good people are at getting a job only how good they are at doing it (some products for example, Britney Spears suck but are good at being sold I plan to combat these issues). I would install measures to reduce that chances of immigrants being accepted with weaker education and skills. I'd put lots of money into military research such as a surface to space anti satellite missile and sell them to countries like North Korea and Russia it will be called the Nose Breaker missile system. In the long run I would plan to terraform Venus, the promised land (of the religion I will create) the first step will be to find an asteroid from the asteroid belt and put it in orbit of the sun closer than murcury in order to block some of the sun to venus and cool it down.

I'd do allot of cool controversal things, what would you do?

I'm sure there are lots of RTS players that fantasise about world domination.
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

Id remove religious education add rock and roll to the national curriculum, instead of prayers and national anthems we'd sing ACDC every morning in all of the schools, Id ban dance music and tobacco then id tax fat people, smokers and alcholics because of the strain they put on our national health service.
id be in charge of dishing out sentences to criminals, theyre too soft here, drink drivers for example would be hung on trees, stoned and then burned alive because im sick of these idiots killing unsuspecting people, it happens way too often over here.
Oh yeah and id stop letting people who have criminal records, diseases and 0 literacy skills into the UK becase its ruining our country,
then Id round up the "gangsta" rappers, put them in a big field and blow them all up with a massive bomb and use the melted down bling to make a statue of Angus Young to put on my house roof.

Phew.... annnnnd relax.

i have a feeling this thread is gonna get ugly ^^
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Whoa, Orakio is the reincarnation of Josef Stalin!

In the immortal words of the best band ever:

Hey brother christian with your high and might errand,
Your actions speak so loud, I cant hear a word youre saying.
Hey sister bleeding heart with all of your compassion,
Your labors soothe the hurt but cant assuage temptation.
Hey man of science with your perfect rules of measure,
Can you improve this place with the data that you gather?
Hey mother mercy can your loins bear fruit forever?
Is your fecundity a trammel or a treasure?
And I want to conquer the world,
Give all the idiots a brand new religion,
Put an end to poverty, uncleanliness and toil,
Promote equality in all my decisions
With a quick wink of the eye
And a god you must be joking!
Hey mr. diplomat with your worldly aspirations,
Did you see the children cry when you left them at the station?
Hey moral soldier youve got righteous proclamation,
And precious tomes to fuel your pulpy conflagrations.
And I want to conquer the world,
Give all the idiots a brand new religion,
Put an end to poverty, uncleanliness and toil,
Promote equality in all of my decisions
I want to conquer the world,
Expose the culprits and feed them to the children,
I'll do away with air pollution and then all save the whales,
Well have peace on earth and global communion.
I want to conquer the world! (x4)
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

ah good ol' bad religion ^^
Orakio

Post by Orakio »

I forgot to mention that I'd legalise cannabis.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Reduce military spending by half, use the resulting tens of billions to improve education, health care, and transit as much as possible.

Then I'd use the remaining billions for programs allowing tax breaks and bonuses to help farmers have healthful, productive crops like wheat, soy, corn, etc, rather than tobacco.

Then I'd quadruple the tax on tobacco, and eliminate the tax on gasoline.

I would introduce policy to create jobs.

I would withdraw Canada from the DMCA and similar ridiculous ventures.

I would declare all advertising aimed at a target group of under 16 years of age to be illegal.

I would withdraw Canada's military from all occupied international territory.

I would increase the size of the lowest tax bracket, the one not having to pay any tax. Single-parent homes would have no taxes of any kind to pay except in the case of a yearly income over $36000.

And generally, make stuff easier on those who barely have enough to survive.
Last edited by Caydr on 15 Sep 2006, 19:30, edited 2 times in total.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I wouldn't throw my support behind either of you cads, your plans are too simplistic.

Anyways, I'm working on a plan to take over the world in the long run, you will do well to remember the name of "Tyrant Benjie".

First of all I will start with a political party called the "Tyrant Benjie Fan Club", just to let people know right off the bat that I'm not going to take any crap.

Once I come into power I have a lot of ideas, basic outline:

- Penal System - Either people pay their debt to socienty, people are educated in such a way as to be returned as responsible and productive citizens, or they are stipped of all citizens wrights and sent to a penal colony indeffinitely where they will work in party owned factories and live like the people in Judge Dredd or escape from New York... death penalty will be meted out to any non-citizens in the penal colonies basically whenever they comit any crime at all... basically a 1 strike your out policy. Anyone who is deemed dangerouse to allow to remain in society and beyond reform will be sent to these places, otherwise fines, community service, and education/treatment should suffice.

- Activities Abhorent To The Ruling Party Centers will be set up where people will, in sometime like a park with buildings in it, be allowed to smoke, drink, hire prostitutes, use drugs, and do any number of activities in a controlled situation where no-one has products pushed on them and no one is forced into doing anything and the violence and bad behaviour that can result from some of these behaviours is not a threat to the general populouse... people will not be allowed to leave the premises of the Centers with any kind of abhorent sunstance in their system above the legal limit. It will be made clear that the ruling Party does not condone these activities, but is only allowing them in the controlled environment to prevent people who are going to do them anyways to do so illegally.

- Gun Control - honestly I don't think anyone would disagree that anyone who owns a gun should have it registered, but this process should be automatic when you get a gun, and you shouldn't be able to get a gun without us decideing you are fit to own one... so in the end I will put some reform into the system as far as efficientcy and the apparent stupidity in most of it... however, concealed carry licences will only be provided to deputised citezens who have been given a signifigant training course on the proper use and storage of guns.

- Law Enforcement, police etc will be held at a higher level of accountability, and all this graft and corruption will be got rid of... it's gonna take an awful lot of time to make this work, but it's neccessary.

- Basic Rights to life, the government, from tax revenues, will provide the basic nessesities of life to anyone who can't offord them, in exchange for hours of govenment work-house labour, or approved community service. Hospital/Medical care will be available to all for all things deemed nessessary, and a education program will be set up to provide free education to anyone who needs it or wants it to a certain point. The hope here is that with better education, health care and quality of life we will end up having more doctors and nurses available to man hospitals... again a process that will take at least 5 years or so to get started on even...

just some ideas... I'm really kinda trying to work this stuff out, reading books like 1984 etc and thinking about what the point of existance and government really should be... there's a lot more to it then "kill all the stupid people and people who don't agree with me" which seems to be the plan of most nerds I hear...

At some point when I get my manifesto together the way I want it I'll post it and invite you to join the party.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Reduce military spending by half, use the resulting tens of billions to improve education and health care.
What about paying off that 10 billion (or trillion, whatever) of state debt? ;)
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

If I paid off the debt entirely, the next jackass to usurped me would get us back into debt.

Screw the debt. International debt is a joke. Countries like USA can't even afford to pay the interest on their debt, even if they devoted their entire income to it.

I'd declare that Canada would no longer be involved in any sort of international debt, and give anyone who has borrowed from us, a clean slate.

It'd certainly irritate a lot of people, but honestly, what are they going to do? Invade us? We'd probably fight back a little, but the fact is that the USA can't afford to have a border the size of Canada's with a country they can't trust. They would be forced to help us. It's going to have to happen eventually anyway. The national debt of most countries is just too big to ever realistically be paid off. Except for Sweden, which is basically the country I'd be modeling Canada after.

(I know this is all crazy talk... I don't want to rule anything. I'm just saying what I'd do, and the trouble I'd probably get us into, if I did)
Last edited by Caydr on 15 Sep 2006, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I would rename the World every day - and every Country, just to keep peoplz troubled. Then i would build a Mars Colony and create a new Swiss there, were i can hide my Millions - for - well just in Case. I would - well make a list - making lists is always a good start - Robbespierre had a lists. Stalin had a lists. Schindler had lists.

I would pretend myself beeing thrown out of goverment and would let earth going for the dogs (just running it like ususal), the reappear and fix the Damage i produced and let myself be celebrated ...

Oh, and if this Thread is for real. And serious.

I would sit in a little House, with a Cat and a broken Pencil. Just drawing, playing listening to the Rain, not knowing if anything outside the House is existing.
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

jcnosson and Caydr are right (and the only two serious people here). So much money is thrown at militaries that it is mindblowing, especially when there are such better things to spend it on. In the United States the case is about ten times more extreme.
[edit]and The U.S. debt is also ridiculously large, interest alone sucks up 15% of the federal budget.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

H2G2, picasso?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Caydr wrote:H2G2, picasso?
Were to learn else how to gover large Areas ? Hilter? Elvis ? Marvin ?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Hmm, If I were to take over USA...

First of all, get rid of all welfare type systems, as they actually extend the problem rather than helping it in the long run.

Drop taxation (to the normal .07% sales tax) on alchol (Why have I always had trouble spelling that? I can spell Prairie, but I can't spell alcohol) and tabacco sales. While imposing upon tabacco companies that nicotine and any other addictive substance be remove from tabacco in the future (this is where native americans win).

Drop Marriage tax

Drop death tax

Impose that alien ununiformed militants have absolutely no rights in this country.

Seal the border vs illegial aliens (Legal immigrants are welcome)

Allow the military to do their jobs instead of imposing that they take losses before shooting back (reduce micromanagement of congress on military).

Reduce hiring Union companies for goverment/state/municipal projects where possible.

About a million other things, but that's all I care to go into for now.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I take it that Forboding is quite unfortunately a fiscal conservative...

I would drop the marriage tax as well, however, as the divorce rate is so high it really is just a slap in the face - besides, I don't believe in the institution of marriage as currently delineated. Marriage is a religious concept that renders an economic contract. I would refocus the government's involvement on the economic contract and probably rename it to the ambiguous "civil union." Of course, then I can widen it to encompass homosexual couples without much more effort.

The death/estate tax would be recalibrated. It isn't progressive at the current time, generally hamstringing family businesses while failing to make a serious dent in the people who actually have the money we want to tax, the upper ten percent of the population. I'd split it into progressive levels and generate special categories for small business - the rich would end up paying a little more, and the poor significantly less in terms of percentage.

I would reform the income tax code, removing the absolute minimum tax and instead creating nonnegotiable percentages for individual earning groups I might deem "wealthy" - the highest tax bracket would actually pull about 43% income.

Reduce the active military budget and reduce foreign interference outside of UN activities - expect a 40% to 60% withdrawl of currently deployed forces. I wouldn't touch Veteran's affairs, though you might expect to see fewer of them in future.

Reorganize the diplomatic positions of the government into a merit-based rather than pure appointment system for the eventual purpose of generating a functional group practicing positive diplomacy that might actual make a difference in the face of decades of terrible foreign policy.

Change the scope of "Entitlement" programs such as Social Security and Medicare through raising the contribution cap of the former as it currently caps off after an arbitrary amount of earnings taxed and redefining the limits of the latter.

Increase the power of "Need-based" welfare by doubling the budget while imposing greater scrutiny upon the process to avoid graft - something which has always been a danger in this "throw-away" department. Medicaid will be revised to actually be of use, as well.

Simplify the legal immigration laws while discouraging illegal immigration through reducing the rights of future illegal immigrants while offering a choice between legalization and deportation to those who immigrated illegally before I took office.

Increase the legal scope of the draft to psychologically impose an increased resistance in the generally apathetic population to the process. To whit, I would remove the gender and college exclusions and make it abundantly clear that there would be few ways to avoid service in the event of a draft. This would completely destroy the "Well, it isn't my son!" and "I only have daughters, why not draft?" mentalities that are so incredibly self-centric and nationally detrimental at the current time.

Change the electoral laws and statutes to accommodate proportional representation in the legislative. This is extremely important, as over 40% of Americans do not belong to either the Democratic or Republican parties, and our voices are not being heard at all. The two party system with winner-takes-all district by district may have once been unifying, but not today. Now it breeds stagnation and must be discarded.

We spend around 14% of our GDP on health care annually, but we don't get the benefit for our dollar. Yes, some of that goes into our incredible research - but what about general care? There is a distinct shortage of lab technicians and nurses - a structural shortcoming. Pharmaceutical companies maintain an absurd margin of profit though the overdependence of our population on medication. I would seek to reduce the dependence of our population on medication through functional education and promote growth in the general care sector through monitored subsidies.

Education. Where do I begin? Alright, so it is a state issue - increase federal funding to lower education while re-evaluating the aid system and keeping a closer eye on the purse. This would overlap to some extent with "Need-based" welfare...

Law Enforcement! We have some good areas, and some poor ones. Higher standard of education and more informal scrutiny of the system by the Legislative and Executive should help bring up the standard. An increase in training funds might be useful as well.

Gun control. Evaluation, registration, limitation. Sure, you can bear arms - to a reasonable extent.

I'll stop here. There is far too much to change. If I really wanted to go as far as I believe I should, a few other things would need to be discarded. You get the idea though.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I take it that Neddiedrow is quite unfortunately a liberal democrat...

And btw, I'm conservative/libritatian(sp?) if you wanna get real picky.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I'm not a Democrat, and I'm not technically a Liberal.
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

Fricken' [insert name of any political orienation], any time a debate starts up, they reduce it to name-calling.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Forboding and I are just having a little fun, don't worry about it. They're labels - we both know labels really don't have any meaning that we don't generate for them ourselves.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

You must have a license to learn Jujutsu, all other martial arts are banned. (Honestly, Jujutsu is the best!) You must also have a license to carry a weapon, in 6 different kinds. Machine Gun, Sub Machine Gun, Rifle, Pistol, Magnum/Revolver, and Sniper.

5% of all wages are given to the goverment. If you can move and function properly in a human society, you are given standard education 'til 25. No welfare if you qualify for the above.

Army soldiers are given a special license that allows all weapons to be carried, Jujutsu to be learned, and killing to be allowed if the reason is plausible. Drugs are allowed, only in the privacy own house.

If you kill one person without an army license, you have a bounty for 5000$ on your head, dead or alive. Steroids are not allowed in the country. There is no jail, money or death. All natural resources are controlled by the goverment, and workers receive wages when working for the goverment.

Soldiers in the army have standards of 1 main weapon (Machine gun, Sub Machine gun, rifle, or sniper rifle) and 1 side weapon (Pistol, revolver or magnum.) Silencers are given only to the Black Operatives squad. The Black Ops are spies and assasins working and answering directly to the President/Lord/King/Messiah/Ruler/Whatever I am..

If any nation has soldiers within 50 Miles of the border, the army is quick to attack their forces. If they continue persistantly annoying the country, we will declare war, and conquer them.

E: All religions except Christianity are outlawed, refer to the section above for what happens to rule breakers.

^^ I guess thats how I would rule.. I think I covered all of my bases..

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”