HOLY CRAP!!!!

HOLY CRAP!!!!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

HOLY CRAP!!!!

Post by Caydr »

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

World of Warcraft has over 6,500,000 active subscribers. I don't know how much the subscription fee is, but usually they're $10/month. If that's the case, they are making 65 million dollars EVERY MONTH. HOLY CRAP! WoW is going strong, from what I've heard. If they manage this for a year and a half (mmorpgs commonly last much longer), they'll have made 1,000,000,000+ on a single game. Can you imagine the cars these people must be driving?
0 x

BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

bastards ^^
0 x

LOrDo

Post by LOrDo »

They stole all our gigahurtz!
0 x

Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

And yet, with all that money and a huge development team, WoW lost me to a free, beta, open source RTS game made by a bunch of college students on their spare time.

Spring: 1, Blizzard: 0
Last edited by Sheekel on 03 Sep 2006, 03:10, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

And yet, with all that money and a huge development team, WoW lost me to a free, beta, open source RTS game made by a bunch of college students on their spare time.

Spring: 1, Blizzard: 0
Wow, i bet that really scares blizzard... 64999990 $ income/month

So I want to make an mmorpg too, anyone with me? ;)

But really this is insane :shock:
0 x

Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

But jcnossen, lets check the score again:

Spring:1 , Blizzard: 0

!!!!

:wink:
0 x

Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Actually, Spring: A few thousand (non paying) players, WoW: 64999999 (PAYING) players.

But Spring still owns.
0 x

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

jcnossen wrote:So I want to make an mmorpg too, anyone with me?
True MMORTS Anyone?
0 x

LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

SinbadEV wrote:
jcnossen wrote:So I want to make an mmorpg too, anyone with me?
True MMORTS Anyone?

ummm... the world to scale... or at least a country??

nutty!

:twisted:
0 x

Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

SinbadEV wrote:True MMORTS Anyone?
Bring it on.
I've played just about every decent "mmorts" in existence. None of them is what I'm looking for.
The only ones that look slightly promising to me are Boundless Planet and Society (from the makers of Galciv 1 and 2!)
0 x

Raign

Post by Raign »

I am one of them players :shock:
0 x

Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

A few thousand (non paying) players
a few thosand ppls playing spring? O.O
0 x

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

They have fairly high server hosting fees... but compared to the $65million per month I think they are breaking even...

WoW basically bitch slapped the gaming industry. There has never been a game that has used up as many play hours as WoW ever, period. WoW basically bit a huge chunk out of the total gamer population and swallowed it, blizzard is very much their own small corner of the gaming industry all to them selfs. They could likely realistically compete with any of the massive publishers and they have only a half dozen titles they are marketing.
0 x

Drone_Fragger

Post by Drone_Fragger »

And guesas what sucks about World of WArcraft?

The fact it exsists.
0 x

Mars Keeper

Post by Mars Keeper »

Drone_Fragger wrote:And guesas what sucks about World of WArcraft?

The fact it exsists.
It´s a plauge that spreads between gamers =(
0 x

nobody2u

Post by nobody2u »

That's... a lot of money. And just from a single game. If Blizzard could made another game or three like WoW, they'll be like the next Microsoft :shock:
0 x

Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

If Blizzard could made another game or three like WoW, they'll be like the next Microsoft
World of Starcraft :roll:

Game makers and greedy publishers alike see this and say, why do we bother, when MMOs are not only bought for a good price but also give us a continuous income for the forseeable future?

The thought that this MMO craze might kill "real" gaming is pretty damn scary, and not at all unrealistic. I just hope that it dies down eventually, like that fagotianne "REALITY SHOW" craze did. Now we've finally got shows that have a freaking story again. BSG, Prison Break... etc.
0 x

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Don't lie to yourself

America's Got Talent, Starting Over, Extream Makeover Home Edition, So you think you can dance, rock star, The Amazing Race, Treaure Hunters, Country Idol, fear factor, plus Big Brother and Survivor still on the air...

Reality TV didn't die, the rest of TV just got "better" around it... which is what the game industry will have to do with MMOs, they arn't going to go away on their own, but with something like WoW out there it gives other companies a lot of incentive to make really good stuff to compete.
0 x

Drone_Fragger

Post by Drone_Fragger »

Hopefully Supreme commander will kill MMOs dead. The UEF, Cybran and Aeon will unite a giant combat robot designed to destroy The MMO and all that they stand for.
0 x

Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I personally experimented with the MMO sub genre for a few years, but as I'm a real roleplayer it never really clicked. Watered down, expensive gameplay? Give me my gorram dice any day.
0 x

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”